Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my new Azera, the dealer encouraged me to privately sell my 15-year-old Diamante because it looked so showroom new. The person that bought it was amazed at its like-new looks and paid me full asking price in fear that another buyer would show up and start a bidding war. All of my past cars have looked great after 10+ years, hopefully due to the things I have learned about and done to keep a car looking new. So, I thought I would pass along what I will be doing to make my Azera look good over the years.

1. PARKING: I always use expandable sun shades in the windows when parking for an extended period in the bright sun. Keeping it in a garage at night also makes a big difference. I have always made sure my garage is cleaned enough to fit both of our cars.

2. WASHING: I really don't get around to washing it as often as people may think. Sometimes it is months between washings. When I do, I only use liquid car wash soap, not any dishwashing soap as some may recommend. I wash from the top down to keep any runoff from messing up an already cleaned surface. I blow dry the washed car with an electric leaf blower used only for that purpose and then towel or chamois dry it to remove the remaining water. My wife prefers to run her car through a car wash and I'd have to say they both look fine, so I car washing is not your thing, running it through a good car wash will be fine.

3. CLAYING: If, prior to waxing, I notice that the finish has some little bumps from imbedded grit, I will clay the car using Clay Magic. It is easiest to do this right after washing when the car is still wet. I use the soapy wash water as a lubricant. When I am done claying, I do a final wash/rinse and dry it in preparation to waxing.

4. WAXING: I only wax about every 8-12 months... whenever it stops beading when wet. Over the years I have reviewed many wax tests, and done some of my own, and have to say that NuFinish consistently meets or beats them all, particularly on durability. I use NuFinish Paste Wax. The only thing to look out for is getting the wax on flat black plastic or rubber where it will leave a white mark. You can get the white marks off with Vinylex.

5. EXTERIOR RUBBER and FLAT BACK PLASTIC: The tires and all other black rubber or flat black exterior plastic parts look great when treated with Vinylex. Fortunately, the Azera doesn't have much exterior black rubber or flat black plastic to worry about. The shiny black trim around the doors can be waxed with NuFinish.

6. INTERIOR VINYL AND RUBBER: I treat all vinyl (dash, doors, etc) and rubber parts (weatherstripping) with Vinylex. A dash treated with Vinylex will look great even a year after treatment. The seats are part vinyl and part leather. Usually, the parts that touch your body are leather, whereas all the other parts (sides, back of seat) are matching vinyl. I haven't determined the exact parts yet for the Azera, but the way I tell is to push my finger into the material. If I see tiny wrinkles radiating out from my finger tip, it is leather. No wrinkles indicate vinyl. BE VERY CAREFUL with Vinylex to not get any on clear plastic, like the navigation or instrument screens. It will leave a cloudy film that is hard to remove.

7. LEATHER: I treat the leather parts of the seats, the leather steering wheel and the leather shifter every 3 months with Lexol Cleaner followed by Lexol Conditioner. Prior to any treatment, I thoroughly vacuum the interior, particularly the seams of the leather and vinyl to remove any dirt that can cut the fabric and stitching.

8. CARPETS: I vacuum the carpets any time that they need it. Occasionally, I pull the floor mats out and wash them in the garage utility sink with warm water and mild liquid soap. I then hang them and run a fan on them until they are fully dry.

That's it for now, I have to log off and get back to Vinylexing my wife's Santa Fe. By the way, I have already waxed my new Azera and it feels like "smooth glass" when you touch it. Then again, so did my 15-year-old Diamante. That NuFinish surely leaves a nice surface feel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I prefer a spray type of wax, such as Turtle Ice. It is easy, fast, and effective with a right clothing material to use. I wax my car at least twice a year: in spring time and, more heavily applied wax coating (without polishing it too much) before a winter season. It leaves a greasy-like, long lasting film. I also apply the wax in between two major waxing just: 1 - on the front end of the car before going on highway or any trips to protect paint and easy to remove bugs. 2 - on the rear bumper around and above the exhaust outlets to easy clean soot.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I prefer a spray type of wax, such as Turtle Ice. It is easy, fast, and effective with a right clothing material to use. I wax my car at least twice a year: in spring time and, more heavily applied wax coating (without polishing it too much) before a winter season. It leaves a greasy-like, long lasting film. I also apply the wax in between two major waxing just: 1 - on the front end of the car before going on highway or any trips to protect paint and easy to remove bugs. 2 - on the rear bumper around and above the exhaust outlets to easy clean soot.
Those are great ideas.

·
22,793 Posts
Outstanding ideas, above. I do nearly everything MrVivona and Rainbow9 suggest. Only the names of the products are different. And that's not a big deal, at all.

One thing I will do from Rainbow9's post: waxing that front bumper area prior to an extended trip, especially through the countryside or at night. That's a terrific idea.

Reactions: AZHawk70

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Though I refer to NuFinish as a wax, it is actually a polymer sealant. It vastly outlasts any wax product in consumer tests. I have not found it necessary to apply any more during the year or prior to a trip. It is truly the lazy man's "wax." I am going to apply NuFinish to one of the chrome exhaust outlets on my Azera to see if it collects less soot. I don't have enough mileage yet to know if I will be getting the dreaded soot, but if I do I will be able to see if one outlet is cleaner than the other.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nufinish lasts for a long time compared to other waxes but beware using it if you have a dark colored vehicle especially black. Even the smallest chips in your paint will be magnified because the wax dries white. I used it last fall for the first time and the paint looked beautiful when i was done but the next morning i was horrified :eek: when i saw white dots all over the front end of my car. I tried using Qtips and alcohol and googone to remove the white crap but it was almost impossible to get it all out. Before i used Nufinish you couldn't tell there was any chips at all. I would never use the stuff again unless the car is brand new or white. I do use it on my wheels but am careful not to get any on my tires. It took all winter to finally wear off those white dots but Nufinish will never touch my black paint again. Just a warning...

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is a very subjective topic.mmEveryone has it's own likes and dislikes. It comes down to whatever works best for you.

Most people like carnubba waxes as I do. Pinnacle Soverign is one of the best but extremely expensive. I use it maybe twice a year. I have been using what I think is a great quick detailer from Chemical Guys called P40. It really looks great and continues to make the the finish bead during washings. Talking about washing soap I use another great product Ultimate Car Wash Soap. It is fairly inexspensive when you buy it in the Gallon container.

So this is what works for me and my paint really glistens. Again what works for me may not work for you. Paint color sometimes has a lot ot do with it. I am constantly looking for new products to try through much research. Some work and some don't. Pretty much trial and error.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Meguiars works well for me. Can anyone recommend a tire shine you apply rather than spray on? I want to avoid overspray with the low profile tires on the Azera. Not much rubber there to aim at:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Meguiars works well for me. Can anyone recommend a tire shine you apply rather than spray on? I want to avoid overspray with the low profile tires on the Azera. Not much rubber there to aim at:)
Meguiars endurance gel lasts a long time. It also comes in high gloss if you like very glossy. Tire Automotive tire Automotive cleaning Automotive wheel system Liquid

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use Vinylex on tires (and all other rubber and vinyl parts, inside and out). I use a short bristle brush to apply and work it into the tire. It lasts for months and is a UV blocker.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nufinish lasts for a long time compared to other waxes but beware using it if you have a dark colored vehicle especially black. Even the smallest chips in your paint will be magnified because the wax dries white. I used it last fall for the first time and the paint looked beautiful when i was done but the next morning i was horrified :eek: when i saw white dots all over the front end of my car. I tried using Qtips and alcohol and googone to remove the white crap but it was almost impossible to get it all out. Before i used Nufinish you couldn't tell there was any chips at all. I would never use the stuff again unless the car is brand new or white. I do use it on my wheels but am careful not to get any on my tires. It took all winter to finally wear off those white dots but Nufinish will never touch my black paint again. Just a warning...

Sent from my SCH-I535
I have only had white or silver cars, so I haven't seen that problem with NuFinish. My new Azera is Hyper Silver and my wife's Santa Fe is Mineral Gray, a darker gray metallic. Neither show any problems. I use the paste NuFinish, not the liquid. I also apply in the shade using a damped microfiber pad and do a section at a time (hood, door, etc.), buffing off thoroughly before moving on to the next section.

If you ever have to get NuFinish out of paint chips again, try rubbing vigorously with a terry cloth towel. If that doesn't work, mineral spirits will usually work. It won't harm cured paint if you work quickly, then wash it off with soapy water when you are done cleaning. If I get any NuFinish on black trim, I first rub it with terry cloth to remove as much as possible, then I Vinylex the black trim and it removes the wax and brings the full black color back to the trim.

I also use NuFinish on my wheels. It makes it much easier to keep them clean.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a very subjective topic. Everyone has it's own likes and dislikes. It comes down to whatever works best for you.
You got that right! Fifteen years ago I started a wax topic on the Edmunds Town Hall Forum and it became one of the longest-running topics ever, with over 4,000 posts. Everyone has their favorite wax, usually what they have been using.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I use Stoner product for my tire shine and it is great. The problem you hear from the tire manufacturers is that tire shines take the natural oils out of the rubber thus in time making the tires crack on the sidewalls.

I just had a set of tires prorated that cracked and one of the questioned asked was do you use a tire shine which the manufacturer does not recommend.

So I am wondering if there is anything out on the market that will prevent cracking or that is approved by the tire manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vinylex states: Vinylex Protectant cleans, protects and maintains all your vinyl, plastic and rubber in one simple step.Its patented formula penetrates beneath the surface to: Lift away dirt and grime, Fight discoloration, Prevent drying and cracking, Filter out harmful ultraviolet rays and Protect against weather damage.

I know that may be just marketing hype, but I have used Vinylex on tires their whole life which were seven years old when I replaced them and there was no cracking at all. I also have used it on all the rubber weatherstripping of my previous cars from day one, and on my 15-year-old Diamante, and the 12-year-old car before it, the weatherstripping still looked new when I sold the cars.

I could not find any product that is specifically approved by tire manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
MrV - do you have the OEM floor mats for the new Azera? Carpeted/all weather? Mine didn't come with any floor mats (go figure that is an option on a $38K vehicle) but I ordered the OEM carpeted mats and plan to protect those as well with inexpensive clear plastic ones - $20 at Walmart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mikemu, I bought the laser fit weather tech floor liners for the front of my Azera and could not of been happier. I too bought the cheap clear mats for other cars in the past. They never did the job, always got dirt and water on the carpet or carpeted mats. They were $106 on the JC Whitney website. Easy to remove and dump out the dirt and water and wipe clean with a rag.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Azera came with the carpeted floor mats. I like the look of the carpeted mats, so I probably won't cover them for protection. If they get dirty, I'll just wash them in my garage sink. I might get a small clear or matching color mat for just the driver side under the pedals, because that is where most of the wear will occur. That is what I've done in the past.

My car didn't come with the carpeted trunk mat. Things slide around too much on the existing smooth felt mat, so I have ordered the factory carpeted Azera trunk mat. I should be here this week. I have the trunk net and hooks from my Diamante. I intend recycling it to my Azera. I have to find a way to attach the hooks because the Azera hooks screw into a hole, whereas the hooks from the Diamante are designed to screw onto a threaded mount.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the looks of the carpet mats also, but in the winter it is so much easier to keep the floor protected and clean using the weathertech liners. I switch to the carpet mats as soon as I can.....come on spring:)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts