Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So of course just about anywhere I can see the amount of cubic feet available for the cargo space in the Tucson, or any other car. Unfortunately this doesn't really tell the story as that measurement typically goes to the ceiling, and different vehicles have different sloping roof lines.

Could an owner take a few measurements? I'd like to know how wide the cargo floor is both between the wheel wells, and at the back right before the door. In addition it would be nice to have a measurement from the bottom back of the back seats to the door (only where cargo would fit to). It would also be great to have a measurement of the opening of the door.

I'm currently cross comparing with a Subaru Outback. The Outback has two disadvantages in that the nearest dealer is over 100 miles away and it doesn't have nearly as good driving dynamics as the Tucson. However the Outback has a lot of advantages as well, including passenger space (it is pretty huge in the front and back seats), real life fuel economy, and potentially cargo space. Luckily there is a site (Cars101) that has full dimensions given for the Outback I can compare to.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found them listed, and based on my experience looking in the vehicle at the dealership for both I think they are pretty close: http://db.theautochannel.com/db/newcarbuye...EV&id=28476

Although if anyone could confirm that would be awesome.

That page does kind of show the shenanigans of specs for me though, which is why I always try to go and sit in every potential option just in case. For example according to the Hyundai and Subaru published specs, the Tucson has 1 inch or so more rear leg room (38.7" compared to 37.8"). But when you sit in the cars either due to how the seats are shaped or the difference in how they decided to measure the Outback for me has almost 3" more knee room than the Tucson.

Whenever I look at a vehicle I sit in the driver's seat, adjust it so that I'm comfortable, then immediately sit in the rear seat behind it. In the Tucson my knees just barely don't touch the back of the front seat (I could barely slip a piece of paper in there), but in the Outback I can easily fit my entire fist long ways between my knees and that seat.

Now to do some calculation and see how much difference the dimensions will really make for the type of cargo we typically carry.

·
Registered
316 Posts
To the OP,
not technical, in terms of measuring, but we have had 4 sets of golf clubs, shoes, and "stuff"
in the back deck area, a few times. It's a "fit", but they fit.

On a recent trip, we had 2 sets of clubs, 2 smallish suitcases, golf shoes, 2 cases of wine,
and other assorted "junque" in the back area; with back seats up in normal position.

All, fwiw...
GL, mD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts