Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the '13 Sonata 2.4L GLS version of a post I did a earlier in the week on my '14 SFS (http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-santa-fe/625618-carbon-buildup-pistons.html). Figured out how to snap pictures with better quality.

I'm snapping pictures for three reasons. 1) Snapshot the state of all cylinders at a specific mileage 2) Monitor changes after using Techron (in SFS) and 3) Compare vehicles with same engine operated in different manner. For #3 specifically, the SFS is an 'around town' car with stops and not fully coming up to operating temp whereas the Sonata is driven at highway speeds and comes to operating temperature (and is given way more beans at least once a day).

Cylinders 1 (first two pics) and 4 (last two pics) were again closer to BDC so I was able to capture more of the overall look where 2 (pic 3) and 3 (pic 4) were closer to TDC. Yes; I know not all the photos were as clear as I wanted them to be but the focal length of the scope is about 1".

The main thing I see is Cylinders 1 and 4 (at least) were a lot cleaner in the Sonata compared to the SFS (based on amount of reflective areas). The Sonata engine has twice the mileage than the SFS but gets up to operating temperature. Top Tier is not always used in either car and I haven't run anything with PEA in a long time.

I'm trying to figure out a way to look at the intake valves to see how fouled they are and what the difference is between the two engines. Both are running catch cans installed at the same time (but different mileages). Anyway, hopefully you find this useful (or at least mildly entertaining) and a look at what short trips are actually doing to your engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Interesting thread. Very curious to see the after results. Nice to see someone do pre/post type results to see what adding additives do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts