Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gudday to all,
I have a 2.9 Turbo Diesel and reside in Australia. Just wondering what tare weight of caravans Terracan owners are pulling???:
Regards to all Terracan owners.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Samohen, just read your post, funny enough just collected our caravan from storage today, it is an Elddis crusader storm twin axle 26 feet long so over here is about one of the biggest 1950 KG the Terracan tows it easily with wife 3 kids & 2 large dogs..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
caravan towing.

Thanks for your reply Tilbo.
We are starting to get some of the European vans in Aus.
An Australian made van of the length you have would be in the range of 2500 3000 KG and that's the tare weight.
There are smaller ones 18-20 ft that range from 1800-1950 Tare weight.
We have been looking at the Eldis and Bailey.
Its just for the 2 of us but want all the dings and bows.
Once again thanks for the reply
Samohen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Samohen, got the same 2.9 terracan and tow a swift 530 5 berth weighing about 1700kg overall with additional luggage etc and it tows effortlessly, a great tow vehicle and in the caravan group we meet up with there are at least 6 terracans and all swear by their great towing ability.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Funny you should say that boaty, been chatting at work today about towing & I said the Terracan felt as though another 1000kg would be well within its capability..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2.9 liter diesel Terracan that developed a vibration at 80 /85kph - Problem was a twisted rear tailshaft caused by towing a 1500kg caravan with the cruise control on - it twisted the tailshaft when the auto suddenly changed down suddenly when towing up a hill - twisted the tailshaft by 5mm as its the weakest part of the drivetrain
Frankly after towing this 1500kg van for last 6 years up and down major mountain ranges we consider any terracan should not tow any more than 2,000kg as that has to be their max safe / comfortable towing limit

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem, no cruise on my Terracan, but I had already read that cruise should not be selected when towing with any vehicle, due to the weight differential as serious damage may be caused !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi my understanding is that the Terracan has a towing capacity of 2.5 metric tonnes. If you tow more than this you should know that in the event of an accident both your car and caravan insurance will not pay up. Check the GVM on the vehicle ID plate will tell you all you need to know

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I tow a Royal Flair Discovey...approx 1.9 tons approx fully loaded ...NO problems and use cruise cont. except on hills ...great cat, 178,000 so far and bought new
Gary

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2005 Auto Terry (150,000 km's just coming up). Bought it when it had done 45,000km. Very very few problems. 2 injectors but luckily 2 months inside warranty!

Do have the intermittent power loss but will get a new brake switch at the next service. Also note to get the water pump pulleys etc done when the timing belt is done.

Caravan: We have a Jayco Heritage 24ft, 1.8t with tandem wheels. With (say) plus 400kg of water, food, clothes....etc all up 2.2t well with in the 2.5t towing limit. Terry and caravan absolutely rock steady - even with a road train (that is a prime mover and it's attachment PLUS TWO trailers) doing 100kph in the opposite direction on a narrow country road!!!

With our vast distances love cruise control, with the caravan,at 2000 rpm and no wind = 92kph. On long rolling hills apply the accelerator, on the way up to stop cruise kicking up to 3000rpm click cruise off and hold throttle steady - slows down but saves heaps of diesel!

Terry no longer sold here in Aus. do not know why. We love them and very few come on the market.

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recon after my wife has had a go at packing my van(1700kg) it is well on the +2000kg mark, my 2.9 auto doesn't even know its there! Head wind knocks the fuel around but otherwise wish they still made them I'd have another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts