Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have 2012 Accent GLS Sedan with 76K miles on it. Never had any issues.
I have new battery, brakes installed few months ago.

Recently car did not start twice. It happened 3 weeks ago. I tried many time and then it started. I did not notice it again until yesterday. Yesterday, I had to give many tries to get it to start.

What could be the issue? I am intending to take it to Firestone as I have a long drive planned in couple of weeks from now.

Please suggest.

Thanks

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad ground could do that, but likely not with no problems for 3-weeks.

Bad starter could do that as well, but also probably not with no issues for 3-weeks.

I think I would have Autozone check the starter and Alternator for free first before trying anything else.
Thanks I would get those checked at Autozone today at lunch and will let u know

· Registered
6,721 Posts
My suggestions were somewhat generic.

I think on Hyundai, the crank position sensor can also do that.

Not sure where Red Raspberry was going - on a carbureted car, flooring the pedal will clear a flooded engine.

I think on a FI car, it is supposed to inhibit the start. OTOH, on a FI car if you try it and it fires up, you know the inhibit failed, and possibly crank or TPS error.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
If the starter is turning the engine over normally, then there really isn't anything wrong with the battery, starter or generator. If the car is having trouble, (groaning, turning slowly or clicking and doing nothing), then I'd suspect one of these three things.

The fact that it's intermittent makes it tough. As Tiger-Heli suggests, there could be a bad ground somewhere. Or perhaps a sensor that's starting to fail. What makes this really tough is that if you take it in to get fixed and the no-start condition doesn't crop up, there really isn't a way for the mechanic to tell what is wrong. A scan of the ECM/PCM might show something, but it's unlikely.

· Registered
6,721 Posts
Not necessarily ...

If the car is groaning, turning slowly, or clicking, I would suspect battery or starter (and perhaps the battery is weak b/c the alternator died).

I've had starters fail on several cars (Honda's) where the car would do nothing, turn the key, nothing, turn the key nothing, then on the 4th or 5th turn would crank right up and that was the starter (and maybe that is what jwt873 meant by doing nothing).

Intermittent is tough and intermittent after three weeks is really tough, b/c potentially you might spend $200 to replace a part and it did nothing - the car cranks right up, but it would have anyway and you think it is fixed until a few weeks later and the same thing happens ...

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not necessarily ...

If the car is groaning, turning slowly, or clicking, I would suspect battery or starter (and perhaps the battery is weak b/c the alternator died).

I've had starters fail on several cars (Honda's) where the car would do nothing, turn the key, nothing, turn the key nothing, then on the 4th or 5th turn would crank right up and that was the starter (and maybe that is what jwt873 meant by doing nothing).

Intermittent is tough and intermittent after three weeks is really tough, b/c potentially you might spend $200 to replace a part and it did nothing - the car cranks right up, but it would have anyway and you think it is fixed until a few weeks later and the same thing happens ...
May be I will wait for some more time and see if it comes up again. I was told alternator and battery good. Battery is just 6 months old.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TBH - I did that with my Focus for 6-months and sold it for other reasons. Sometimes it's easier to live with the issue than try to solve it.
O'Reily said they will test all starter, alternator and battery. I will go there today evening. If they say, all 3 are good then I will leave it for now.

· Registered
13,375 Posts
O'Reily said they will test all starter, alternator and battery. I will go there today evening. If they say, all 3 are good then I will leave it for now.
I would check out grounds (seems to be an issue with Hyundais) and also the connectors on the sensors to make sure they are connected. Sensors are another issue with these cars, esp the crank sensor.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oreily said that starter and alternator are good but battery is bad. I went to two stores and both said same. Autozone said battery is good. Its confusing. I am taking it to firestone who installed the new interstate battery like 8 months ago. It has 2 year free replacement.

· Registered
13,375 Posts
Seems odd - that said, if it has 2-year free replacement, I would be highly tempted to take the O'Reilly printout and get a new battery for it.
Never mind. Need to learn to read. I've forgotten how.

· Registered
18 Posts
I am having a similar problem with a 2002 accent: Here is what I have found that you might try.
My car will not start at times, yet there is no trouble codes, and I have already verified that there are no issues with wiring, connections, coil is good, sensors are good, (issues with crank position sensor and camshaft sensor would show a trouble code.) Nothing seemed to show up. The only thing that it appears was that it looked like the coil was not getting the signal to fire the sparkplugs. That signal comes as near as I can tell from the computer. So what finally started working for me was to unhook the battery at the positive side, allow it to sit for several minutes then reconnect the battery and try to start it.

My theory is that for some reason the computer hangs up and does not send a fire signal to the coil. The computer does not know that the coil is not getting its signal, so there is no trouble codes. By unhooking the positive side of the battery it is like rebooting the computer. (unhooking the negative side of the battery doesn't do this.) So far, this has worked every time for me, as long as I give enough time for residual power in the computer to drain away, when I unhook the battery.

For what it is worth, I'm an electrician, but not a car electrician.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts