Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem with the push to start again. Yesterday the car did not start, no matter how many times we tried or press really hard on the brake it wouldn't start. The brake lights were not coming on either. I took a look at the brake switch just above the brake pedal and it looked like it was operating correctly when the brake was pressed. I unplugged the connector to the switch and plugged it back in, the car started and worked fine the rest of the day. This morning it didn't start again and i was already at work. My wife called the service rep to let him know that we will be towing it in. He told her to step on the brake while holding the start button for at least 30 seconds, then the car started. He said that's a bypass procedure. They replaced the brake switch and did the recall (got a $20 gift card, no cookies) :grin:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I put a brake light switch in 1 already for ESC light and shift lock would not release to allow shifter mover from Park..

Took a good bit to figure out how the switch comes out, as it does not have threaded nose like comon switch with lock nuts.. OI almost broke the old part and the retainer for it getting it out,, then found all I had to do was pull the lock bar out...

They dont have paper manuals anymore, and service site was NO HELP !!

·
Registered
670 Posts
QUOTE (Vinnny @ Nov 12 2010, 08:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371245
He told her to step on the brake while holding the start button for at least 30 seconds, then the car started. He said that's a bypass procedure.
Thanks for the good info. I think people with the push button start will be glad to know there is a way to start our cars if we're in the same situation. Glad your problem got fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (Vinnny @ Nov 12 2010, 08:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371245
Problem with the push to start again. Yesterday the car did not start, no matter how many times we tried or press really hard on the brake it wouldn't start. The brake lights were not coming on either. I took a look at the brake switch just above the brake pedal and it looked like it was operating correctly when the brake was pressed. I unplugged the connector to the switch and plugged it back in, the car started and worked fine the rest of the day. This morning it didn't start again and i was already at work. My wife called the service rep to let him know that we will be towing it in. He told her to step on the brake while holding the start button for at least 30 seconds, then the car started. He said that's a bypass procedure. They replaced the brake switch and did the recall (got a $20 gift card, no cookies) :grin:
I had the exact same thing happen to me the other day. It would not start, kept telling me to push the brake pedal to start the car... I WAS pushing the dang pedal! I had it towed, and the dealer took a break switch off one on the lot to put in my car, and then told me about the 30 second override. Perhaps there will be a recall in the future. It seems to be common.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Shifter module replacement ....

Pre mid-April prouction date ??

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Vinnny @ Nov 14 2010, 08:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371508
They replaced something in the shifter the first time we had it at the dealer for the same problem.

You probably got the plastic slot cut to allow the roll pin to move up/down the shift body slot that actuates a micro switch.. they recently decided that shifter assembly replacement is needed,, they improved the part... when shifter is received at dealer, they need to look at production date on the part so as to not install old style part again...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Nov 14 2010, 08:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371515
You probably got the plastic slot cut to allow the roll pin to move up/down the shift body slot that actuates a micro switch.. they recently decided that shifter assembly replacement is needed,, they improved the part... when shifter is received at dealer, they need to look at production date on the part so as to not install old style part again...
I had my brake switch replaced in July for the same "No start" issue. March production. Do you suggest any other action at my next service? Would there be any open TSB?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (jsmit86 @ Nov 14 2010, 10:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371520
I had my brake switch replaced in July for the same "No start" issue. March production. Do you suggest any other action at my next service? Would there be any open TSB?

There is no TSB that I know of... only mail between engineering and course instructor of 1 of the couple classes I went to.

Srated out as cutting plastic flash off the long slot that guides a pin that actuates lever on a micro switch on the side of the shifter frame... went back early October, he siad Hyundai changed injection mold for the shiter frame, and to replace the shifter or shifter frame assembly, think the slots were too tore up and cleaning the slot did not get 100% results for everybody.

There is a date on the frame from what I was told, so you need to verify date is from the new mold.. dont want to take out an early and install an early, be problem waiting to come back at you.

Call to tech assist by should clarify what I am trying to say.. Pass it on to the aisle fella who writes up your car, and be sure he specifically writes your concern in the "customer states" line (concern).. then sign the RO allowing them to service vehicle.. Techs hate it when there is no information on ticket about the concern... kinda like "car broke"... how, when, where, which way.. information helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts