Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking for a solution to an issue with my mother’s 2012 Elantra GLS we’ve been having for a while now.

On average, about 1 out of every 5 attempts to start the car, the engine will fire up and immediately die.. within half a second or so after the starter disengages. When recranked, the engine starts up and runs perfectly fine. Other than that the car seems to be running, idling normally. No check engine light.

No odd noises from the starter, and it doesn’t seem to be taking an inordinate amount of time to crank either.

I’m leaning toward a fuel issue possibly, dirty/worn injectors? Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s the first start of the day, or if the car has been driven recently. It’s more of an annoyance than anything, having to crank the car twice quite often.

She has 102,000 miles, bought it at 70k with no clue of maintenance history. I’m replacing the spark plugs as part of the tune up I’ll be doing soon. Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
It may be the fuel pressure dropping. Try just turning the key on for 10 seconds and off before trying to start. If it is the fuel pressure dropping it can be leaky injector/s which will usually cause a rough idle on startup.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hey all,

Looking for a solution to an issue with my mother’s 2012 Elantra GLS we’ve been having for a while now.

On average, about 1 out of every 5 attempts to start the car, the engine will fire up and immediately die.. within half a second or so after the starter disengages. When recranked, the engine starts up and runs perfectly fine. Other than that the car seems to be running, idling normally. No check engine light.

No odd noises from the starter, and it doesn’t seem to be taking an inordinate amount of time to crank either.

I’m leaning toward a fuel issue possibly, dirty/worn injectors? Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s the first start of the day, or if the car has been driven recently. It’s more of an annoyance than anything, having to crank the car twice quite often.

She has 102,000 miles, bought it at 70k with no clue of maintenance history. I’m replacing the spark plugs as part of the tune up I’ll be doing soon. Any idea what might be causing this? Thanks!
In my mind, the two most likely culprits are fuel or air. I would check your throttle body and idle air valve, and clean them with some throttle body cleaner, they get carbon built up over time and can become clogged.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the replies!

Im planning a tune up on the car which will include, among other things:

- Removing and cleaning throttle body and IAC valve

- Replacing spark plugs

- Replacing fuel and air filter

- Removing and cleaning fuel injectors, replacing o rings

- Oil and filter

- Unrelated to thread, but Replacing both lower control arms and tie rod ends with vehicle alignment

I’m hoping with the throttle body/injector work things will shape up fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts