Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend was driving my 2003 Elantra XD GT and he said the car overheated - CEL came on and then he pulled over. When he tried to restart it would nearly start but was undrivable. I put the handy - dandy bluetooth reader and andoid software in my android phone and it's giving me:
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input
P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

Also I've had this car for only about 16 months - did notice a bunch of clay buildup from 'stop leak' side the radiator.

Anybody have any ideas what I need to get it running again? I'm thinking:
theromastat & gasket
spark plugs
fuel filter

Thoughts on these two codes together? Here are the details on the error codes:

P0117 Hyundai - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input

Possible causes
- Low engine coolant level
- Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
- Faulty engine coolant thermostat
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor harness is open or shorted
- Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor circuit poor electrical connection

Read more: P0117 Hyundai Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com

P0302 Hyundai - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
Possible causes
- Faulty spark plug 2
- Clogged or faulty fuel injector 2
- Faulty ignition coil 2
- Fuel injector 2 harness is open or shorted
- Fuel injector 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Ignition coil 2 harness is open or shorted
- Ignition coil 2 circuit poor electrical connection
- Insufficient cylinder 2 compression
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Intake air leak

·
Registered
749 Posts
likely culprits for overheating are..

-leaking (seeping) hose ends due to corrosion
-cracked radiator 'tank' (top is plastic, that's where it cracks)
-stuck closed thermostat

as far as the cylinder 2 misfire, im gonna say that's due to overheating...in this instance. don't overlook the obvious (plugs, wires). now that the vehicle has cooled, will it start and run? DONT run it for long, just 30 seconds to see if it runs without missing.

No doubt you could've blown the headgasket or even warped something.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Overheat to point of stopping and misfire is good indication cylinder head is twisted.. neighbor in shop has one that new head arrive this morning in last night part delivery,, he will have his work set for Monday morning.

Right now, radiator cap off (cold engine), just fill it up with water, have assistant try to start engine while you watch water in radiator, stand back a little in case it burps/errupts out of fill neck while cap off

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
likely culprits for overheating are..
as far as the cylinder 2 misfire, im gonna say that's due to overheating...in this instance. don't overlook the obvious (plugs, wires). now that the vehicle has cooled, will it start and run? DONT run it for long, just 30 seconds to see if it runs without missing.

No doubt you could've blown the headgasket or even warped something.
A mechanic buddy did a compression test and 2 cylinders are firing at less than 50 psi (less than 50%) ... took it to a shop & they are telling me that they suspect the cylinder head is damaged. They recommended either:
1. junking the car
2. testing the cylinder head -machining or replacing + new radiator Cost $2-3K
3. rebuilt engine + radiator cost??

I'm leaning toward just getting a machined cylinder head. Amazon is selling one for like $450 from "PROFessional Powertrain" anybody have any experience with this company or recommendations?

LMK!
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Think about head gasket leak between the two cylinders leaks allows pressure in one cylinder to dump in the other and vice versa. Let us know what you find please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts