Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car starts but dies after it runs less than a minute. Put new gas pump and filter and didn't help. What else can I check?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
you can start by not throwing any more random parts at the car. try playing darts next time you get that urge, its a lot cheaper and accomplishes more.

second step is same thing i say to everyone DIAGNOSE BEFORE REPLACING PARTS

there i've said it. people don't seem to listen, but that never stopped me.

diagnosis:
first get a code scanner on it. with a failure like that, the ECU will be reporting something. i don't care if the check engine light is on or not. it probably is unless the bulb is burnt.

after that, we need more info. you're not really describing what is happening here. when it starts, does it start normally? is the idle smooth? does it stumble? what happens when it stalls out? stop skimping on the details and i might be able to figure this one out for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Car starts but dies after it runs less than a minute. Put new gas pump and filter and didn't help. What else can I check?
Are you sure the gas in your tank is not stale? If the car sits there for a while the gas might be bad. They put ethanol in gas nowadays and that caused a lot more problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a engine cutout problem on 89 Hyundai Excel. Thought it was fuel system related but later discovered the ignition coil fails once it heats up. So please check the electrical components also if it starts cold but dies as it warms up.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
They put ethanol in gas nowadays and that caused a lot more problems.
Tjey been mixing 10% for yrs.. co-worker says he had some at 15%, bur I dont know how correctly he performed test on fuel from customer car today

I have run 6-10 month old fuel in the PWC that mixed with synthetic 2-stroker oil with no issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts