Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Hyundai Accent hatchback. Not sure at this moment which style/version but it's a standard, 4-cylinder. Just within the last few months it has been stalling on me for no apparent reason. At first it was happening about every 3 weeks maybe, just when I was stopped at a light or when I was sitting parked in the parking lot at my work. It would start right back up. One time this happened, I noticed my rpm gauge was not moving and the shift indicator next to the odometer was flashing up and down arrows where it normally would be telling me to shift to the next gear.

More recently, it has been happening more frequently. Like when I'm in the drive-thru at a fast food place. Difference is now, it will not start right up. Usually takes about 30-40 minutes give or take. I took it to 2 different shops and they could not figure it out. No CEL either by the way. Last time it was at a Hyundai dealer, they replaced something but I cannot remember what it was right now. About 3 days after I picked it up, it did it again. This time it started within about 10 minutes. I have tried to reproduce this a couple times by leaving the car running for 20-25 minutes. Still running.

Today, I went to get some fast food and it stalled again. After almost an hour, it still would not start. I left it there and walked to work. So I get to go back to it later.

Otherwise, the car runs pretty good all things considered. Has about 86K on it but only about 21K on the motor as it was replaced couple years ago.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated as I'm not ready to go out and buy another car right now. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 2011 Hyundai Accent hatchback. Not sure at this moment which style/version but it's a standard, 4-cylinder. Just within the last few months it has been stalling on me for no apparent reason. At first it was happening about every 3 weeks maybe, just when I was stopped at a light or when I was sitting parked in the parking lot at my work. It would start right back up. One time this happened, I noticed my rpm gauge was not moving and the shift indicator next to the odometer was flashing up and down arrows where it normally would be telling me to shift to the next gear.

More recently, it has been happening more frequently. Like when I'm in the drive-thru at a fast food place. Difference is now, it will not start right up. Usually takes about 30-40 minutes give or take. I took it to 2 different shops and they could not figure it out. No CEL either by the way. Last time it was at a Hyundai dealer, they replaced something but I cannot remember what it was right now. About 3 days after I picked it up, it did it again. This time it started within about 10 minutes. I have tried to reproduce this a couple times by leaving the car running for 20-25 minutes. Still running.

Today, I went to get some fast food and it stalled again. After almost an hour, it still would not start. I left it there and walked to work. So I get to go back to it later.

Otherwise, the car runs pretty good all things considered. Has about 86K on it but only about 21K on the motor as it was replaced couple years ago.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated as I'm not ready to go out and buy another car right now. Thanks in advance!
What you described is symptomatic of a bad crankshaft position sensor. Not an uncommon part to fail in the Accent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank! I'll check that out. I've seen that mentioned somewhere else too. Just looked at my paperwork from when I had it in the shop. They replaced the EVAP purge solenoid valve, which obviously did not fix the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
graham.webb89
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing