Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,595 Posts
Put a socket on one of the accessory pulleys and see if the engine will rotate
If it does then it is not seized.
Also, take oil cap off and view valves to see if they move also.

Starter does not smoke if engine is seized
Only smokes if you try to start a seized engine with the starter for a period of time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I do know they often replace the starter at the same time as the engine. They did on my friends 2013 Santa Fe and he's a licensed technician and didn't try to start it multiple times.

Also who knows how long the pushbutton start models leave the starter engaged before giving up? Hopefully sooner than the average person that doesn't know anything about cars would.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,595 Posts
I do know they often replace the starter at the same time as the engine. They did on my friends 2013 Santa Fe and he's a licensed technician and didn't try to start it multiple times.
I would believe it is dependent upon the owner and his mechanic?

Also who knows how long the pushbutton start models leave the starter engaged before giving up? Hopefully sooner than the average person that doesn't know anything about cars would.
Push button start should have a timer for how long the starter is engaged to start the engine.
Engineers should be very aware of such situations
But, who knows for sure if it was working right?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would believe it is dependent upon the owner and his mechanic?

Push button start should have a timer for how long the starter is engaged to start the engine.
Engineers should be very aware of such situations
But, who knows for sure if it was working right?
No, it seems to be a policy at the dealer. It was replaced under the recall. He works at an independent garage but it went to the dealership where the engine replacement is free because they're seizing up very frequently.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2011 hyundai sonata 2.0t and it stalled on me and it won't crank and when I opened the hood it smelled burning wire or something. The car electronics turn on but the car itself don't crank.
You and me both have had the same thing happen. My post is on here too. I was sure hoping it was something simple. However, I was wrong. Now I'm stuck with a dead car. I did however find that they did a recall back a few years ago on the 2011 and 2012 Sonatas. I've emailed the Hyundai Corp. to find out if the recall is still valid. No reply yet. I may have to call. Here is the link

VIN Validation - Hyundai
autoservice.hyundaiusa.com › campaign132

You just put in your vehicle's vin and it'll let you know if your car is affected. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,568 Posts
You and me both have had the same thing happen. My post is on here too. I was sure hoping it was something simple. However, I was wrong. Now I'm stuck with a dead car. I did however find that they did a recall back a few years ago on the 2011 and 2012 Sonatas. I've emailed the Hyundai Corp. to find out if the recall is still valid. No reply yet. I may have to call. Here is the link
VIN Validation - Hyundai
autoservice.hyundaiusa.com › campaign132

You just put in your vehicle's vin and it'll let you know if your car is affected. Good Luck.
You dont have to contact Hyundai. Just take it into any good dealer and they will file the paperwork. hyundai has been replacing engines under warranty with more than 175,000 miles on them for the Theta II settlement

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.