Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 hyundai sonata 2.0t and it stalled on me and it won't crank and when I opened the hood it smelled burning wire or something. The car electronics turn on but the car itself don't crank.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
How old is the battery? There is also a large starter fuse...does the starter make any noise?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I just bought a new battery and when I press the button it makes a small click noise but nothing happens
clicking noise ? means your starter rely is working, check your battery connections make sure battery terminals and -neg & + post are clean before ruling out a bad starter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clicking noise ? means your starter rely is working, check your battery connections make sure battery terminals and -neg & + post are clean before ruling out a bad starter.
how would you know if the starter does not work.

·
Registered
451 Posts
So... have you done the basics 1st like takeing off the battery cables and cleaning the battery terminals & posts to make sure You have a good solid connection?

·
Registered
160 Posts
*The Brake pedal my bad
That's what happens on a hydraulic brake system after you press the pedal a number of times without the engine running...it will go rock hard eventually. You should still be able to press far enough to engage the starter, but the pedal will be very stiff, just like when a car dies on the road and you lose power brakes and steering.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I hate to be a pessimist but usually these posts end in finding out the engine seized up due to rod bearing failure. After ruling out simple stuff and being sure you have oil in it (most people these days don't realize they still need to check their oil level and these engines and the 2.4 are known to start burning oil) get it to the dealership and cross your fingers for a new engine under the recall. If you ran it low on oil and destroyed it yourself, top it up then take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,393 Posts
I have a 2011 hyundai sonata 2.0t and it stalled on me and it won't crank and when I opened the hood it smelled burning wire or something. The car electronics turn on but the car itself don't crank.
Was there any noise or sounds when it stalled?
Do you have a volt meter?
Measure battery voltage. Should be 12.5 or better
Do a visual inspection to see if that burning smell was any wires shorted out.
Check voltage at the starter .. ignition wire and battery to starter post cable
Try moving gear selector to neutral and starting engine
Look for the starter relay in the engine bay fuse box
Check youtube videos on how to test or do a by pass test on starter relay.

Good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts

Good luck
If you can put a breaker bar on the crank pulley check if the engine turns by hand. If so check all of the things above.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yup that's one way of actually seeing 1st hand if engine is Seized. if it don't turn it's done. however if You can turn it using a breaker bar your engine is not the problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Good luck
No weird noise it just stopped.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Engine seized. Stalled while running then you tried starting the car back up. the burning smell / smoke (if it smoked) was your starter being cooked because the engine seized.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts