Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and almost everyday this week the car has shut off on her while she was driving but only briefly. She notices all the lights go off, and then a second or two later it comes back on. What could it be?

Thank you,
Todd

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Big guess, ... intermittent short circuit due to wiring loom frayed
Or it could be a loose connector

·
Registered
263 Posts
My wife has a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and almost everyday this week the car has shut off on her while she was driving but only briefly. She notices all the lights go off, and then a second or two later it comes back on. What could it be?

Thank you,
Todd
The first response. is the problem is electrical. An intermittent short. Very hard to find until it becomes just a short.
Then on the mechanical side, it could be a sudden drop in fuel pressure, around the minimum required PSI. That might show up in the codes.
Speaking of codes! Are there any?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have an '11 and early on a bunch of us had problems with the car shutting down in the midst of driving, with the "check charging system" light and chime coming on. They replaced the high voltage connectors with more robust ones and reinstalled software in my case, then came out with a TSB to repair it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first response. is the problem is electrical. An intermittent short. Very hard to find until it becomes just a short.
Then on the mechanical side, it could be a sudden drop in fuel pressure, around the minimum required PSI. That might show up in the codes.
Speaking of codes! Are there any?

I could only hope for it to produce any codes. I have an OBII that picks up no codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an '11 and early on a bunch of us had problems with the car shutting down in the midst of driving, with the "check charging system" light and chime coming on. They replaced the high voltage connectors with more robust ones and reinstalled software in my case, then came out with a TSB to repair it.

My wife also said that when it happens, that the EV sign on the dash goes from GREEN to RED before it goes dark. Then it comes back on and drives normally, like it never missed a beat.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sounds like it could be the power relay system going bad... When it goes bad I believe the connect is getting poor which causes more heat and making the connection worse. Until it disconnects and one gets these issues. Once disconnected, things may cool a bit and then back to "normal" for a while only...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like it could be the power relay system going bad... When it goes bad I believe the connect is getting poor which causes more heat and making the connection worse. Until it disconnects and one gets these issues. Once disconnected, things may cool a bit and then back to "normal" for a while only...
I guess my question would be, when things like this, shouldn't their be some sort of code that is triggered?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think that the symptoms if this Power Relay is the issue be covered under warranty?

·
Registered
428 Posts
It seems that there may or may not be codes generated. Some codes associated with this area are:

P1990 OPU Input high voltage wiring line Go to Service Procedure
P1B76 High Voltage Relay Fault Power relay assembly (PRA)
P1B77 High Voltage Pre-charging Fault Power relay assembly (PRA)
P0A0D High Voltage System Interlock Circuit High HEV safety plug

As long as you're within the warranty period then it is covered. There is a TSB for 2016 MY:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160095-9999.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im
It seems that there may or may not be codes generated. Some codes associated with this area are:

P1990 OPU Input high voltage wiring line Go to Service Procedure
P1B76 High Voltage Relay Fault Power relay assembly (PRA)
P1B77 High Voltage Pre-charging Fault Power relay assembly (PRA)
P0A0D High Voltage System Interlock Circuit High HEV safety plug

As long as you're within the warranty period then it is covered. There is a TSB for 2016 MY:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160095-9999.pdf
I guess where does this fall under, powertrain, or other? Im pretty sure we are out of warranty anyways. Thank you for the info!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but believe it would be under the power train and hence 10/100. I might suggest to bring it in to Hyundai and have/mention these problematic areas and TSB, etc. and see what they say and inspect. Have them scan it themselves and see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
See thread 2016 Sonnata Hybrid 2.0 ( Check Hybrid System) . In it,
NXR71 posted TSB (that's a full service campaign) for the dealership to test multiple power assemblies. The TSB is for 2016/2017 vehicles, but if your dealership is cool, maybe they will look/think outside the box. Maybe also check fuse box connections.

Losing "all" power in a running vehicle is odd. I wouldn't think there is a single connection that all power runs through, as power comes from the engine, 12V battery, and hybrid batteries, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts