Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question, varies from the other threads I found. I noticed on my way to work this morning that while I was in Neutral, the whole car shakes. Like, I can feel the entire car shaking, as if there's a Semi next to me. Yet, when I put it Drive or Park, the shaking stops. If I leave the car in Drive, it also will not shake, only when I shift into Neutral. I did notice, that the Tachometer was in the ~600RPM range when the shaking was occurred.

This isn't the first time it's done it, it's happened before. It rarely does it, usually a while after the engine is running. And it's only once, if I run the car all day, it won't shake at all.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
600 RPM seems low for idle to me. Perhaps the idle increases in gear and maybe park, my car idles up, when the clutch is pushed in and / or A/C compressor is running. My idle in neutral is 725 RPM I think. It's very smooth there.. Check your tach and see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
600 RPM seems low for idle to me. Perhaps the idle increases in gear and maybe park, my car idles up, when the clutch is pushed in and / or A/C compressor is running. My idle in neutral is 725 RPM I think. It's very smooth there.. Check your tach and see.
Yeah, that is true. When I'm idleing, if I can remember correctly, it's closer to 1000RPM's. I'll update the rpm's while idling later today.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
There's a service bulletin for rough idle according to the service writer during my last visit to the dealer...I think they have a reflash for the ecu to correct the idle. I told them I didn't have time to get it done while I was there so ill do it next time around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a service bulletin for rough idle according to the service writer during my last visit to the dealer...I think they have a reflash for the ecu to correct the idle. I told them I didn't have time to get it done while I was there so ill do it next time around.
Do you have any idea what the specific bulletin's ID/name is? Reading through the bulletins, and can't make heads or tails on them.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Do you have any idea what the specific bulletin's ID/name is? Reading through the bulletins, and can't make heads or tails on them.
Sorry, I haven't a clue. I didn't mention having idle issues, but he did. Maybe its a recall? He also wanted to do an exhaust rattle recall, another issue I'm not actually having on my own car but others have.

·
Registered
667 Posts
How about this:

13-FL-002, dated 4/24/13. Throttle Body Cleaning

It says Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) throttle body deposits can cause symptoms of rough idling. After cleaning, there's a quick procedure to retrain ECM on throttle valve position. Essentially Ignition On (not engine on) for 10+ seconds, then ignition off for 10+ seconds. [For push button start, that means pressing button twice with foot off brake.] No gas pedal involvement, and you can turn engine on to check idle immediately after.

·
22,793 Posts
Throttle Body "deposits." Define the origin of these deposits. Or a source. Unfiltered, or poorly filtered, fuel? From a station's pump? Impurities in the station's tanks? What would you guys say is the primary culprit?

I only use 100% nitrogen-enriched gas (about 95% of the time), from Shell stations. Don't have the shaking sensation that is oftentimes reported on here. I'm just a curious sort.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Rich - I use the cheapy "USA Gasoline" brand we have here, its 20 cents cheaper than the next closest station which is a Shell. Oddly, I seem to get a better MPG for my tank too so I have just stuck with it. Id like to cut open the fuel filter when I change it someday to see what I find...

Oh, my point though is that I too, have no shaking issues, even with the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Got a question, varies from the other threads I found. I noticed on my way to work this morning that while I was in Neutral, the whole car shakes. Like, I can feel the entire car shaking, as if there's a Semi next to me. Yet, when I put it Drive or Park, the shaking stops. If I leave the car in Drive, it also will not shake, only when I shift into Neutral. I did notice, that the Tachometer was in the ~600RPM range when the shaking was occurred.

This isn't the first time it's done it, it's happened before. It rarely does it, usually a while after the engine is running. And it's only once, if I run the car all day, it won't shake at all.
Pretty new car, not that many miles yet right?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts

There's something in our nature that compels us to find patterns in a car's random behaviour, and to seek products that we can pour into the gas tank to make it all better.

Unfortunately, the most plausible explanation for occasional shaking in the Elantra is the smart alternator cycling on and off as needed. If that's all there is going on, then give up. It happens completely at random - there is no pattern - and it's impossible to prevent without re-engineering the car.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The throttle body and the butterfly flap will have deposits no matter what fuel you use. Pull the tube off and you'll see. I spray some throttle body cleaner I bought at the parts store every so often after seeing the tech do it when I took my cars in to my friend's import shop for service.

On our Mitsubishi Galant we no longer own, at one time it was so dirty that the throttle was not opening properly and the gas pedal felt like it was "stuck" slightly when pushed down at a stoplight. A quick spray, and fixed!

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks, Randy. Care to guess what tube is getting pulled off this w/e on Ingrid? Ah, more stuff for my ever-growing To-Do list. But the other stuff on the list is "wife's" stuff. This one takes priority. Shh, don't tell her I said that!

·
22,793 Posts
...the most plausible explanation for occasional shaking in the Elantra is the smart alternator cycling on and off as needed.
Don, if it was REALLY "smart," it would figure out a way to do this without bothering the rest of the vehicle or its occupant(s). :wink2:

Sounds like it needs its bearing fluid changed. Isn't that one of the recommended items on the service writer's checklist at "some" dealer shops? :whistling:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks, Randy. Care to guess what tube is getting pulled off this w/e on Ingrid? Ah, more stuff for my ever-growing To-Do list. But the other stuff on the list is "wife's" stuff. This one takes priority. Shh, don't tell her I said that!

The Elantra is not here (it's my wife's car) but the throttle body is usually on the engine side of the flexible air intake tube just before the intake manifold.

·
22,793 Posts
The Elantra is not here (it's my wife's car) but the throttle body is usually on the engine side of the flexible air intake tube just before the intake manifold.
Oh, I do know where it's located. No problem, there. Just to be certain, I do this no different than any other vehicle I've owned. Just spray her down inside, put everything back together, start her up, drive for a bit. Done?

I'm at least going to have a look inside. May not do anything right away, but I'm gonna take a peek.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Oh, I do know where it's located. No problem, there. Just to be certain, I do this no different than any other vehicle I've owned. Just spray her down inside, put everything back together, start her up, drive for a bit. Done?

I'm at least going to have a look inside. May not do anything right away, but I'm gonna take a peek.
As the guy on storage wars says, "Yup!"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok update, so this morning, on my way to work as I was driving and stopping at lights, I put the car in Neutral, no problem. I get on the 405, and after exiting the freeway and stopping at a light, I put it in neutral. The shaking starts, the Tachometer is also shaking between 550 and 700 PRM's. I quickly switch to Drive, it stops shaking, Tachometer is unchanged. When I switch back to Neutral, it begins shaking again. This would happen for the next 10 minutes as I stop at lights, and I put the car in Neutral. It eventually stops, when I sit in Neutral, no more shaking, an hour after the car was turned on from a cold start. The car's only got around 18860 miles on it, for those that are wondering.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts