Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4200K on my SF Sport Limited. Car was ultra quiet when running, perfect. Got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday, and nowit idles rougher, and pretty much drive like i am in ECO mode. Turbo doesnt sound as smooth. This sucks. Looked at the receipt from the dealer and it says he used Castrol 5w20 oil. My manual and the oil cap say 5w30. Could this be the cause? Any ideas.:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 4200K on my SF Sport Limited. Car was ultra quiet when running, perfect. Got my oil changed at the dealer yesterday, and nowit idles rougher, and pretty much drive like i am in ECO mode. Turbo doesnt sound as smooth. This sucks. Looked at the receipt from the dealer and it says he used Castrol 5w20 oil. My manual and the oil cap say 5w30. Could this be the cause? Any ideas.:(
If I were you, I would change the oil back to the recommended 5w-30. When your engine reaches optimal operating temperature the oil will be too thin and more wear will occur on the internals of your engine. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, but I wouldn't take your car on a road trip or drive it for extended periods of time until you get it changed.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Did you check under the hood to see if the oil cap and dipstick are in place?

·
2,258 Posts
did you check your dipstick to make sure he put oil back into your car? its not uncommon for this mistake to happen.

and realistically - are you sure these symptoms are real, and not just imagined? a lot of people think their car is more powerful when they use super fuel lol

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Not the oil, either something coincidental happening or accidentally came off but not the oil . And 5W20 will not ruin your engine. Point it out to the dealer and see what they say but for one oil change interval it will not cause any problems

·
2,258 Posts
If I were you, I would change the oil back to the recommended 5w-30. When your engine reaches optimal operating temperature the oil will be too thin and more wear will occur on the internals of your engine. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, but I wouldn't take your car on a road trip or drive it for extended periods of time until you get it changed.
5w-30 or 5w-20 is no difference for your engine to tell. i wouldn't even waste the money on draining it out. i know many people who switch oil weights with the season (the smart thing to do on certain engines) and its no extra wear/tear.

drive it for your specific oil change interval and dont worry. simply dont go back to a place that cant get the basic things right.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Most new cars have what they call break in oil. If I were you I would use full synthetic oil. I use mobil 1 but everyone has their own oil they use. Also there is a T.S.B. on aftermarket oil filter restricting oil flow through the filter causing engine knock and loss of power. I used a K&N oil filter when i did my first oil change. It runs like a champ. Hopefully you can narrow it down to what is causing the problem :)

·
2,258 Posts
there is a T.S.B. on aftermarket oil filter restricting oil flow through the filter causing engine knock and loss of power.
very interesting to know. got a link? any more info on which filters to avoid?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Most new cars have what they call break in oil. If I were you I would use full synthetic oil. I use mobil 1 but everyone has their own oil they use. Also there is a T.S.B. on aftermarket oil filter restricting oil flow through the filter causing engine knock and loss of power. I used a K&N oil filter when i did my first oil change. It runs like a champ. Hopefully you can narrow it down to what is causing the problem :)
Since new, I've used whatever filter and oil (non synthetic) that the Hyundai dealer uses, in my 2006 Hyundai Sonata. It also runs like a champ. I did the same for my wife's 2006 Tucson, 2007 Santa Fe, and now the 2013 SFS (yes, she's had 3 cars while I'm still driving the one :confused:).

Aside from cost, does it really make a difference whether you use the standard oil and filter the dealer provides, vs. a, for lack of a better word, premium oil and filter? Can you feel the difference when driving?
John

·
2,258 Posts
Aside from cost, does it really make a difference whether you use the standard oil and filter the dealer provides, vs. a, for lack of a better word, premium oil and filter? Can you feel the difference when driving?
not all filters are built the same. no, there wont be any difference felt when driving - and anyone who tells you they do feel a difference are lying and or on sugar pills. BUT since not all filters are built the same, the true benifit is longevity of your engine. since filters, FILTER, and since some are built better - some can last longer, filter smaller microns, and or simply provide a higher quality filtration all around.

take a look for yourself! same filter size(same car), but take a look at the small amount of FRAM pleat count, metal to cardboard construction, anti drainback valve, etc compared to the others:

·
2,258 Posts
HONDA FILTER (left) FRAM FILTER(right) - check the pleat count

·
2,258 Posts
SUBARU STOCK FILTER(left) - DENSO AFTERMARKET FILTER(right)
(check out the garbage cardboard construction on the stock SUBARU filter!!! you know why? FRAM makes subaru filters!!)

·
2,258 Posts
looks like from this test on 2010, hyundai had a nice filter!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer is going to drain my car and replace the oil with 5w30 full synthetic. I didnt ask what brand. I take it in on Thursday. My trade was an X5 which only uses full synthetic. I just assumed all new engines used synthetic oil.

·
2,258 Posts
The dealer is going to drain my car and replace the oil with 5w30 full synthetic. I didnt ask what brand. I take it in on Thursday. My trade was an X5 which only uses full synthetic. I just assumed all new engines used synthetic oil.
there is nothing wrong with the modern conventional oil. i use it without even thinking twice.

if you have a turbo engine, i WOULD use synthetic oil and change it often (depending on your driving habits / location) to ensure the health of your turbo.

PS: all new engines should be broken in with conventional oil. most engines come from the factory having conventional - even if they specify that Synth should be used by the owner.

·
2,258 Posts
1 - 20 of 135 Posts