Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving all day. One my way home, about 2 miles from the house, car started running like crazy and the check engine light came on. Since I was so close to home I was going to nurse it home. After 15-20 seconds the car started running normally and the check engine light went out. I scanned it when I got home and got codes P0301 and P0302. Misfires on cylinders 1 & 2. Any suggestions as to what went wrong?
Car is a 2015 with the 2.4L engine. It has 154,000 miles. I bought it used with 133,000 miles. I don't know what the previous owner did if anything car history showed only oil changes which I have been keeping upon.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My first guess would be a bit of water in the gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. I filled up two days ago and I was driving all day today. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2019 Sonata Sport 2.4L GDI
350 Posts
It sounds like you probably just got some bad gas. It is a good idea not to fill up your tank while the gas delivery truck is replenishing the station. This way you can avoid potential dirty sediment from being pushed up into your tank while the truck is present.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am 100% sure it's unnerving but I would just keep driving it. My work car is a Kia Forte and it takes a BEATING! 15-20 stops per day. Idling for long periods. Wide open throttle acceleration. Gravel road runs in dust and muck. She gets about 20,000 miles a year and she gets hiccups sometimes. Funny but, if I start it, back her out of the garage to get the riding mower out and shut her off. Then start up and move her back in = 3 minutes of running... Monday morning I will have to crank on her and she sputters and stumbles and throws a check engine light but comes to life and is fine after a minute or so. Now, I just let her idle and fully warm up while I mow the front yard and she's happy.

I have had a couple of plugs foul and coil packs go bad. They made a random rough idle and then after a week or so, the rough idle became a stumble and hard time accelerating WITH a check engine light. Drive it for while and see. Maybe she was having a bad day. Maybe she needs plugs and a couple coil packs. Maybe she got some bad gas. Drive it like normal and see if it happens again and then make a dealer appointment if it does.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,853 Posts
If its back to running like normal dont do anything but drive it and see if it does it again. If there is no CEL actively on your ok and it was anything from bad gas, momentary misfire because of plug or coil, passed a some carbon buildup, who knows.

Watch for a repeat and consistant problem then address it

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I was driving all day. One my way home, about 2 miles from the house, car started running like crazy and the check engine light came on. Since I was so close to home I was going to nurse it home. After 15-20 seconds the car started running normally and the check engine light went out. I scanned it when I got home and got codes P0301 and P0302. Misfires on cylinders 1 & 2. Any suggestions as to what went wrong?
Car is a 2015 with the 2.4L engine. It has 154,000 miles. I bought it used with 133,000 miles. I don't know what the previous owner did if anything car history showed only oil changes which I have been keeping upon.
Thanks
(my intuition / sixth sense)
That engine is on borrowed time. Sell the vehicle or trade it-in A.S.A.P.
If you Google Search Kia / Hyundai 2.0 / 2.4 engine failures, it explains it-all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. Happened again yesterday. This time it did not go back to normal running. A friend said it was the coils. Replaced them this morning in cylinders 1 and 2 as well as replacing all the plugs. Took it for a long drive, about 100 miles, highway and stop and go. Car ran great.

·
Premium Member
'21 Limited, "18 Limited, "15 Limited
484 Posts
My son's car (2015 Sonata Limited) was running like crap. He came home, I used my OBDII scanner and it identified that coil #2 was bad. To confirm, I switched out the coils from 1 and 2. Sure enough, the next reading stated that coil 1 was bad. Got the new coil and new plugs and all was well. Unfortunately, less than 2 months later, the car was totaled. New plugs and new coil $$ down the drain. Oh well, such is life.

Reactions: Soccerguy48025
1 - 10 of 10 Posts