Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I just swapped my wheels from winters to the rims that came with the car. I got the Ultimate edition with the 19" rims. The work was done by me and I swapped the wheels cross diagonally. So the RearRight is now FrontLeft and so on. After driving it out I noticed it was pulling to the right quite a bit. I went and added air to the tires as I thought it could be a low pressure tire but after adding air it still does it. Thoughts?

I had a wildlife incident a year ago where I hit a deer with the lower left part of the front bumper and it right it right off, the deer swung around and smacked it's head on my left rear wheel, this is the wheel that is now in front left. But since that happened and insurance took care of fixing the damages, I never had an issue with the car pulling to either direction.

Cheers

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ditto - if it started just from wheel swap logic dictates it's the wheel(s) - get em balanced. I'd just probably do alignment too to be thorough.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Had a similar issue, some tires are slightly off and when on the rear no issue, when in the front may create a pull. Dealer rotated the two front ones and solved the issue. Lots of variables, alignment, balancing and some imperfections in tires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have same issue. 99% pull to the left tho. (Not sure, maybe once to right? but most most most to the left)
I have 2 set of tires. One 19" for Normal weather. One 17" for winter.
The 19" has the issue since I purchase, but it went away once I change to winter tires.
I was giving time for myself to adjust to the new car and maybe the tires need some time?
But this year, I recently changed the tires, the problem return.
Never felt once with the 17" winter tires, but ONLY with this 19" OEM tires set.

I do notice that it is more obvious after I drive thru some uneven road. Once I get off the uneven road, (Like the road wear gutter), and driving on the flat ground, the issue will return quite often.
But no roads are completely flat, and that make the car keep pulling the steering and I need to fight it.

I don't know if I should listen to the dealer, because they said it is the alignment, but I tested it, not feeling that pull most of the time on flat road. Especially, the issue already exist when I first purchase the car brand new. (Was told it is normal as the tire is wider than what I am used to, not an issue).

The car drives pretty good, but keep fighting it once awhile suddenly..... kinda make me feel unsafe. (I think police will think i am drunk too..... because the car will pull hard to side and my fix will make the car shake)

I wonder if alignment is the issue because if my winter tires set is fine, but alignment should be good?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tires should be mounted at same location on the car where the were originally removed. Rotation only same side.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Tires should be mounted at same location on the car where the were originally removed.
Not sure what this is supposed to be saying. It seems to be saying that you should never rotate your tires, which is obviously not true.
Rotation only same side.
When Radial tires were first introduced, this was the conventional wisdom. However, today, most modern radial tires can be cross-rotated. There is a picture in the owner's manual, indicating the direction (cross them front to rear, same side rear to front). Only tires that are asymmetrical or directional need to stay on the same side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Try swapping those on the right front/rear and see if that clears up the issue. Possible you have a bent wheel and didn't notice when it was on the rear.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well with all the cars I have had for a decade or two the dealers only rotated tires on the same side. Maybe the all do it wrong.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The belt in one tire might have slipped.

I had the same problem when I rotated the tires from the front to the rear, all was fine until the swap. New tires solved the problem.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,844 Posts
Good luck with the dealer. My Gen Coupe pulled to the right from day one. All the dealer could say is the alignment is in spec.

I had to by adjustable tension rods to fix the issue as the left front wheel was leading the right fron about a 1/4".

Hopefully another rotation may help you out. If you get an alignment pay close attention to the caster numbers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to swap again and do single sided swaps. So RR to RF and LR to LF. Will report back later tonight!

·
Registered
5 Posts
99% of the time it has to do with tire wear being different if the balance is correct but also check the alignment to be sure (most places do a free check on that). Lastly it could very well be over/under torqued lugs

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I swapped the front wheels only and the problem seems to have subsided. Almost to the point that it dont even notice any pull in any direction depending on the road. I'm just going to leave it as is and have the dealership do a rotation once the next service comes, and inspect the threads. I looked at them and they seem fairly even across all tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I swapped the front wheels only and the problem seems to have subsided. Almost to the point that it dont even notice any pull in any direction depending on the road. I'm just going to leave it as is and have the dealership do a rotation once the next service comes, and inspect the threads. I looked at them and they seem fairly even across all tires.
It was probably torque then. Or of they came from that same side originally, it'd be tire wear

·
Registered
982 Posts
Well with all the cars I have had for a decade or two the dealers only rotated tires on the same side. Maybe the all do it wrong.
Not wrong--it's better to rotate them on the same side than not at all. Maybe just misguided, or lazy. After all, how many people ask what tire rotation pattern was used? It's quicker and easier to just rotate them back to front on the same side.

Reactions: Robcop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not wrong--it's better to rotate them on the same side than not at all. Maybe just misguided, or lazy. After all, how many people ask what tire rotation pattern was used? It's quicker and easier to just rotate them back to front on the same side.
I worked at a car shop for a couple years and even though we told people it's was an x pattern we really just did front to back only

·
Registered
217 Posts
I worked at a car shop for a couple years and even though we told people it's was an x pattern we really just did front to back only

Isn't that lying? Why would you tell people that you did one thing when you did something else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Isn't that lying? Why would you tell people that you did one thing when you did something else?
No sh*t Sherlock lol it was just less time = more cars = more money. Less of a pain to change and less complaints like this from customer and depending on who you ask its better for the tires, less chance of separation or stress, can't remember
We did free tire rotations with oil changes so it's not like they were paying for it. If someone reaaaally wants it done of course we would do it though

·
Registered
982 Posts

That's why I always specify what tire rotation pattern I want whenever I have someone rotate my tires. I need to know! sometimes I will mark the tires ahead of time, so I know where they went, and check their work. This is part of how you find a "trusted" mechanic. If they know that you know the difference, they will be more responsive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts