Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been awhile since I have posted. Even had to register a different name since the old name is under an old email address I don't have access to. I'm Dani :D

So I sent in the payoff on Friday the 14th for my 08' Accent:thumbsup:, and on the 17th I got a check engine light:mad:. Murphy's Law huh? Turns out the cylinder 2 and 4 were misfiring (P0302, P0304). The engine was running rough after a gas fill up so I blame it on bad gas. But... thank goodness the DH is mechanically inclined! The following items were worked on to clear the check engine light:

Changed all 4 spark plugs
Emptied transmission fluid, replaced filter, replaced fluid
Emptied engine oil, replaced filter, replaced fluid
Slick 50 high mileage added to engine oil
Air filter changed
Cabin Filter changed
(Coolant replacement bought but not yet flushed) within next week or so this will be performed

During the process DH suggested a timing belt change along with drive belts... which ended up costing $480 from the dealership.

My question is; at 84,000 miles, what other maintenance would you suggest I perform on the car? I plan to purchase new tires/rims (3 months), brakes(3-6 months), and then perform an alignment(when the tires are replaced) as I see my front tires are wearing uneven.

Suggestions?

As she looks now...

Thanks for the input!
-Danielle

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Maybe you just wrote it strangely but why would you change the transmission fluid, cabin filter and oil as well as add an unnecessary oil additive to clear a misfire code?

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,854 Posts
Plugs were a good start at resolving the misfire. If it continues, start looking at the coils as those things are dropping like flies around here.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,805 Posts
Take the coil cover off and they will run cooler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That does seem like quite a strong response to a couple of misfires, which may well have just been lousy gas. Perhaps some of it was overdue?

Find the cheapest deal you can for the alignment. In the Accent, you can really only adjust the toe angle, but most alignments are priced for setting toe, caster and camber angles. Look for a coupon or one thrown in free with tire purchase etc. Some folks just do their own using a couple of yardsticks and a pencil.

I strongly suggest digging out the owners' manual and checking the maintenance table listed there. You've already done or planned most of the things on it, so the key now is to make records for when to repeat each of these things.

One of the nicest things about the Accent is how cheap it is, but it's easy to screw that up by over-maintaining it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This was a strange post. It is not clear if the OP did this to fix the misfire (which almost surely won't work), or just doing maintenance and ignoring the misfire (then why mention it?)

Look at the manual for maintenance schedule. Clear the code and see if it comes back after gas fillup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry let me restate the post...

I had the misfire and we changed the spark plugs which was a suggestion from the mechanic at the dealership. The engine light didn't come back on after that so we did additional maintenance on the car. I missed the 60k mile maintenance and wasn't about to spend $500 at the dealership when we could do almost all of it ourself. During the maintenance my DH suggested the timing belt replacement.

I guess I was trying to give a background on what i had done to the car and wanted suggestions for additional maintenance...

Sorry it wasn't more clear...

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK, got it. For the maintenance schedule, just into the manual. I wouldn't do anything at this point that is not a required maintenance item.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah that does make more sense. Old plugs can certainly cause misfires, so that was a decent guess by your mechanic. And if the misfire hasn't recurred, better still.

If you had 84k on the original timing belt I'm impressed- I have seen them last longer but it's rare and risky. They're rated for 60,000 on these cars, and when they break they can easily cause upwards of $1500 worth of damage to the engine. So make sure you make a note to do it again by 144,000 or 5 years from now, whichever comes first- if you still have it then.

I think you've got a good plan as far as continuing maintenance goes- now enjoy it for the cost of gas and insurance for a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
At 84,000 miles, it would probably be a good idea to change the coils. With the history of OEM coil failures, this is a good investment. Chronic misfires can be hard on the catalytic converter. Shop around for the best deals. I have had good success with the Auto 7 brand from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I disagree- not worth replacing them until they fail. Here's the cheapest way to split the difference: order one of them from rock. Keep it on the shelf until a coil goes bad. That way you pay the lowest possible price (around $50 with freight) and you can repair the problem in 10 minutes whenever it strikes. Then order another spare. I've never seen two or more fail at once, so there's little risk.

This strategy saves about $50 from what it costs to buy the same part same day from napa/advance etc.

Ours made it to 102,000 before the first coil failed. 110k now and it's still just that one.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
I've go +96k miles and the coils are not misbehaving on my '08. I'll probably jinx myself.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Co-worker just put 2 coil in one here last week, I have done the same a good while back,, had another not too long ago that got coil #3 of 4 replaced,, 1 to go for that car.

Bum fuel will not give single cylinder misfire, it have to be all as fuel rail feed all 4 injector.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Take the coil cover off, they get too hot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's a good amount of maintenance right there, so keep all that up. Only thing I can think to add off the top of my head is to check your brakes out and even if they're not due for replacement maybe flush your fluid. That's something that some folks put off even after having to put on new pads and/or rotors. You probably already have an idea how the pads are currently since the timing belt was done recently and the front right tire has to come off for that. Might not be a bad idea to take off the rear drums, clean off all the dust & grime that might have accumulated and re-grease anything in there if necessary.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's a good amount of maintenance right there, so keep all that up. Only thing I can think to add off the top of my head is to check your brakes out and even if they're not due for replacement maybe flush your fluid. That's something that some folks put off even after having to put on new pads and/or rotors. You probably already have an idea how the pads are currently since the timing belt was done recently and the front right tire has to come off for that. Might not be a bad idea to take off the rear drums, clean off all the dust & grime that might have accumulated and re-grease anything in there if necessary.
agreed about the flush. I don't think i saw a p/s flush on your list of flushes. if its anything but a bright red color, I would add that on your list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At 84,000 miles, it would probably be a good idea to change the coils. With the history of OEM coil failures, this is a good investment. Chronic misfires can be hard on the catalytic converter. Shop around for the best deals. I have had good success with the Auto 7 brand from Rock Auto.
This is totally going to sound girly, BUT... The coils are the parts that slide into the area above the spark plugs right? I remember taking the 4 "cylinders" out to replace the spark plugs. Each of these cylinders are $50 a piece? I would guess I could tell which one is bad by running the code, right? Thanks for the input!

-Danielle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, these are getting purchased this weekend. Had to wait for payday :) PepBoys suggested 3-5 months to replace when they did the inspection, so I will give them another month or two and check to see if they are close to replacement. DH said that I would go through 2 or 3 sets of front pads before I have to change the rears, so I will remind him that I want to clean the rears when we do the fronts. Thanks for the tips!
-Danielle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
agreed about the flush. I don't think i saw a p/s flush on your list of flushes. if its anything but a bright red color, I would add that on your list.
I will see whats needed for this and schedule it for the next two months. Thanks!
-Danielle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts