Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing up this 2012 Genesis sedan 3.8l. New Windshield, Battery, driver's door glass, Brakes..

Unfortunately it has a P0420 code. So I'm going to try a Cataclean bottle before replacing the Cat. Which requires you to have 1/4 tank of gas. I had 1/2 tank..

So.. driving around a long loop in the rain to burn off fuel. I reached the apex of the loop.

The car died suddenly. Can't get enough umph to turn the engine.. No codes.. (other than P0420).

Any ideas why I died?

I have someone coming with jumper cables..

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
It restarted after a few minutes.

I drove roughly 15 miles, and decided to floor it for some lousy gas milage.

As soon as I let off, it died again. Still no cause code.

I'm thinking a wet connection somewhere. As I've never driven the car in the rain before today.

Plus one of the bottom covers was damaged before I bought the car. Maybe something under the car is getting wet, shorting out? 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Well jumping made no difference. The car just tries to crank, but seems locked up as though there isn't enough power to crank.

One time while waiting for my jump, it did turn, but weakly and not enough to start.

I've left the car there for now. Going to go back for it in an hour or so.

Registered
have You tried resetting ECM by disconnecting battery cables waiting a minute and putting them back on.?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from doing that Johns2.0T. It did not help.

As I was about to bring the battery back home. I decided to check for codes.

It gave a : P0368 Throttle Actuator control range/performance code..

Not sure which end failed, or if it's just sticky..?? I'm going to go mess with it, once it stops raining.

Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
Have you connected a voltmeter across the battery to check how well it's charged?
If the engine is cranking slow and a jump doesn't help that suggests there is a high resistance on one of the main power supplies or grounds...assuming the jump leads were decent, which many are not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to rotate the Crankshaft a little.

I'm getting three Throttle / Accelerator codes...

After getting the car home of a Dolly. I removed and opened the Accelerator pedal. It seems like a pretty simple system, with a sealed sensor. To me it seemed unlikely that was actually the issue. I felt a "pop" when I floored it. Turns out there is a built in clicker to let you feel bottom..

So I re-installed it. Then tried to crank the car.

All that happens (I couldn't hear on the side of the highway) is the Throttle body clicks over and over for a good 5-10 seconds. Then the car stops trying.

I took the Air intake hose off, it was filthy inside. I opened the butterfly valve, wiping it all out with some Carb cleaner. If I try to start it after cleaning it up. I can see the butterfly valve kind of vibrate, but it remains shut.

I'm thinking this Thottle body failed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I have no idea Autospark.

All I know is that I can turn the Crankshaft (I didn't go very far). The Throttle body is clattering like a bad servo isn't working. Dash lights are dimming with that clatter, the dimming is very minor.

The codes are all related to Accelerator Sensor, Throttle sensor etc (and that P0420 that is surely unrelated)..

As this is by far the most Computerized car I've ever seen. I assume the Compluter senses that butterfly valve doesn't open and stops the process.

I could most likely try and jump the Starter solenoid manually.. See if it cranks? 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
The battery is only a few months old. Cost me $200.00 and tests fine.

I put it on a rolling Charger in the shop last night. It had a full charge.

Registered
2007 Honda CRV
Check the voltage of the battery
If good then could do voltage drop tests

Or just clean up the battery posts and cable terminals
Follow neg cable to chassis and clean grounds.
Check engine ground strap and clean that up also
Would do the same with the battery to starter terminals.

Some just do the big three upgrade

Registered
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm fearing a broken or Jumped timing chain after Autospark's reply. Very similar to a couple of years ago when the reply was pointing at incompetency, involving my ECU in my 2005 Sonata!

I replaced EVERY sensor, and the Fuel pump. All before discovering that my A/C stopped the problem (over heating the ECU). Which was MY original prognosis!

In that case a rebuilt lifetime warranty ECU resolved the issue. The car is still awesome after 92k miles of city driving in under two years!

Yet I find it EXTREMELY interesting that every time I ask THIS Forum for guidance.. I find ridicule and Smart ass questions! ("Did you replace the CARB Catalytic converter after the Bank 1 gave an error??! 馃??)

Rarely do I find assistance, or people trying to help resolve an issue THEMSELVES!!

Is this forum nothing but angry ASE certified Hyundai Mechanics, angry at all DIY'ers??

It's weird that a certified, educated Auto mechanic can insult me.. Yet I bet dollars to donuts he can't cut his own gaskets for a Carburetor rebuild on my first car.. a 71 Roadrunner!

Plug and play.. Assuming everyone's an Idiot! 馃が

Registered
2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
I'm fixing up this 2012 Genesis sedan 3.8l. New Windshield, Battery, driver's door glass, Brakes..

Unfortunately it has a P0420 code. So I'm going to try a Cataclean bottle before replacing the Cat. Which requires you to have 1/4 tank of gas. I had 1/2 tank..

So.. driving around a long loop in the rain to burn off fuel. I reached the apex of the loop.

The car died suddenly. Can't get enough umph to turn the engine.. No codes.. (other than P0420).

Any ideas why I died?

I have someone coming with jumper cables..
Not a mechanic, but all options are on the table when something goes wrong with a vehicle and it's free to read as many opinions as possible. Okay, I have real experience as a civilian, non-mechanic-- that my 2001 Sentra just decided out of the blue to not crank up one day when I was at the public library. People gathered and asked if I needed help and some tried jumping me off. Went back a few days try to start "her" (it was a great car) anyway, I even asked whomever at the local parts places what they thought, some were actual mechanics. Finally, I had it towed over to where I was living to continue to figure this out myself, as am not a 1%er. So after reading through books, and researching for 3 months online and watching Scanner Danner and everybody, and realizing the difference between no crank and no start, I was a real mess, trying to get to work having my wife drive me to work at 4:00 in the morning due to my job and all. Now at the Auto place early on that mechanic dude said crankshaft. I did not know anything about that kind of part. Well after researching for months as I said and getting a really good book by Tracy Martin about automotive electrical systems and looking at a Autozone video, I realized they went ahead and changed ignition sometime in the 1990s and it that camshaft and crankshaft sensor are not working properly, there is no way in the world that engine will crank. Now on that 2001 Sentra, and she just sat there patiently while I toiled in cold weather, November and December, rain and snow even, the crankshaft and cam shaft sensors go two different places on that engine, yet the exact same part. I had bought only 1 and it was in my price range, about 20 something $. I had put it on the same day as that mechanic dude who was buying stuff at Autozone had mentioned. I think I had placed it on the camshaft. Well weeks later after realizing how ignition works and Autozone has a great video about how a car cranks, and how that crankshaft and camshaft sensor is essential, no way around them no working, I decided to change that new sensor and put it over on the crankshaft sensor spot. I did not buy 2 because it was the holidays and gifts and all right? So, this is like January something I think. Toiling away on my own, like the old man and the sea. Not wanting to incur a huge mechanic bill. So believe it or not "she", cranked. Holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You would not believe. I told the Autozone people to thank that mechanic dude next time they saw him. I told all the guys at work what happened and it cranked and they saw "her" in the parking lot. I was so proud. I was a problem and I just kept working through it and not giving up hope. But I did not know where a camshaft or crankshaft sensor was or where they went on the engine until I had to deal with this. But I know now. The ignition systems they started putting in the 1990s changed the old idea of what you have to have to crank: fire, fuel and seething else and this was back to old man Ford figuring out his engine. The new "at the time ignition system was totally changed to where that crankshaft sensor has to work to tell the computer when to fire a spark plug and what order to fire them. So if that thing is dead, the computer says--- hey I don't have the information I need to start your vehicle and nothing happens. I worked around people who worked on small engines and large ones and I had videoed what happened when I got in the vehicle and turned the key. They said you can't know anything by listening to a vehicle. So did not get far there. But the YouTube friends, Scanner Danner, the guy in Texas, Chris fix, and a lot of others helped me by encouraging me to continue to troubleshoot the problem and I did. And these forums are great too.

Registered
2007 Honda CRV
The ignition systems they started putting in the 1990s changed the old idea of what you have to have to crank: fire, fuel and seething else and this was back to old man Ford figuring out his engine.
These days, you should know to do the basic test for spark and fuel injector pulse
If missing both then it becomes a good thing to check the crankshaft sensor.

Just to note, crank means the engine rotates. Start means the engine runs on its own.
When talking about issues, it helps to have common terms with known definitions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts