Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not that kind........

On most of the older cars, you could put a floor jack under the rearend housing or front crossmember to raise up the entire front or rear, to support on jackstands.

Are there places on this car where it's strong enough to do this safely? What can I mess up?

Can it be jacked up, under the rear spring pockets?

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE (dfeicke @ Jun 6 2011, 04:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=457081
No, not that kind........

On most of the older cars, you could put a floor jack under the rearend housing or front crossmember to raise up the entire front or rear, to support on jackstands.

Are there places on this car where it's strong enough to do this safely? What can I mess up?

Can it be jacked up, under the rear spring pockets?

Also, if changing tires and/or wheels, do we have to retain those pressure monitoring valve stems, or can we just put regular ones on?

· Registered
2,412 Posts
I recently had my front up on 8" ramps and needed more room to add the SR front member brace. I found a place where I felt comfortable taking some weight off the springs with my floor jack, but not comfortable enough to lift the whole front end. There may be a better place under the shielding, but I didn't notice any. The rear is uncharted territory for me.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to try one of those; it seems safer than trying to use a board or take a chance of bending something.....or tweaking the wheel alignment, or whatever. I've always like to spend a bit of time under the car........to get a better handle on what does what, and wherre things are.

I am still looking at different sound/noise suppressing products, and am anticipating doing this soon.

Still waiting to hear from someone about the tire pressure monitoring.....can regular valve stems/caps be put on, to eliminate those costly things from the factory?

· Registered
2,412 Posts
QUOTE (dfeicke @ Jun 8 2011, 06:01 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=457997
I'm going to try one of those; it seems safer than trying to use a board or take a chance of bending something.....or tweaking the wheel alignment, or whatever. I've always like to spend a bit of time under the car........to get a better handle on what does what, and wherre things are.

I am still looking at different sound/noise suppressing products, and am anticipating doing this soon.

Still waiting to hear from someone about the tire pressure monitoring.....can regular valve stems/caps be put on, to eliminate those costly things from the factory?
The valve stem is part of the TPMS assembly. The cap exchange would be very easy to test. Just change them out and see if there is a problem. A secondary test would be to let some air out and generate an alarm with the OEM cap. Then replace the cap with an aftermarket. Still getting the alarm? How about no caps at all. Still getting the alarm?

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not worried about the caps. I've read that when changing tires or wheels, those TPMS stems should be rebuilt or replaced. ...over 300 bucks!!

Why do we need them? Can we not check our own tire pressures anymore, as we've done all these years?

Can we just not throw them away, and put in regular valve stems?

· Registered
2,412 Posts
QUOTE (dfeicke @ Jun 8 2011, 08:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=458086
I'm not worried about the caps. I've read that when changing tires or wheels, those TPMS stems should be rebuilt or replaced. ...over 300 bucks!!

Why do we need them? Can we not check our own tire pressures anymore, as we've done all these years?

Can we just not throw them away, and put in regular valve stems?
Sure, it's your car. You may want to save the expensive parts for the next owner of your car, especially since it is a safety feature.

· Registered
492 Posts
I was wondering this a month or so ago when I was painting my rims (as I wanted to do all four at once). I ended up just doing one side at a time because I didn't feel comfortable putting a jack stand anywhere in the rear of the car. One of the few times I miss my truck, throw them under the axles and your good to go. :whistling:

· Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE (jared 2.0 @ Jun 7 2011, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=457608
I use a unibody adapter with my floor jack. Works great and dont have to worry about bending the pinch welds.

http://www.eastwood.com/floor-jack-adapter...model-cars.html
Thanks so much, Jared, for posting this; looks like it's just what I need;
I just ordered one. Sign up with Eastwood and get Free shipping on first order.
Amazon also carries this item but you have to pay for shipping there.

Cheers!

· Registered
313 Posts
QUOTE (abigmutt @ Jun 8 2011, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=458194
Thanks so much, Jared, for posting this; looks like it's just what I need;
I just ordered one. Sign up with Eastwood and get Free shipping on first order.
Amazon also carries this item but you have to pay for shipping there.

Cheers!
No problem. After crushing the pinch welds on both sides of my Jetta I was glad to find this also :)

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It just seemed wierd to me, on a lower priced car, that Hyundai would include such an expensive 'gimmick' as the TPMS. I think their money would've been much better spent on better and more sound deadening materials and/ or tires.

· Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (algreen @ Jun 9 2011, 08:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=458597
US Mandated all autos from 2008 will have TPMS. So it isn't a gimmik but a new safety regulation.
IMO it's clearly a gimmick, not to mention how many tire shops actually "re-learn" your sensors when replacing/rotating tires? With my old GM car they never relearned tire location even at the dealer! Why isn't ABS a standard safety feature? Much more usefull than knowing psi. 2 cents.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
I have jacked both the front and rear of my car from the points described in the original post to this thread (more or less, being that these are FWDs and have no rear pumpkin--in this case I used the rear subframe). Any car should be jackable at these points because of the stresses these items are meant to take in normal operation. The front and rear subframes are definitely stout enough to take the weight of the car. Next time I put mine in the air I will snap some pics.

I also do have a urethane pad on the "saddle" of my floor jack. ($9 at harbor freight)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.