Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just bought a 2007 accent 3dr GS and the car is great. The only thing that bothers me and I don't know if it's just my car but my car horn is so weak. You could say squeamish lol. Basically if I have the volume up and I hit the horn I can't hear it. So what i'm trying to find out is if anyone knows how to change the sound of the horn it came with or do I have to buy another one, and if so what should I look for?(compatibility wise). Has anyone else attempted to change it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realized I posted this in the member introduction. Sorry everyone. I am going to move it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. What do I have to look for in shopping for horns? Can I take a horn off another car... will it matter?

My friend offered me their horn(s) from their Camaro... Can I use these?

Kthxbai :)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (lv_3600 @ Apr 18 2010, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314449
I'm curious about this as well. What do I have to look for in shopping for horns? Can I take a horn off another car... will it matter?

My friend offered me their horn(s) from their Camaro... Can I use these?

Kthxbai :)
Yes pretty much any horn will do. Just make sure you get the connectors as well if the horn uses proprietary plugs (OEM horns do most of the time). And see if they are easy to mount to the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
There *is* an adjustment screw on the horn, but I believe it mainly makes a slight change in the pitch. The instructions on hmaservice say that once you're done to dab some paint over the screw to prevent corrosion. But I don't think it would really make that big of a difference, and if you've gotta go through all that work to pull the grille out anyway you might as well take Road Runner out and replace him with something better.

Since there is only one horn installed OE, has anyone ever ran into any inadequacies with the circuit when they add a second horn? (horn circuit not providing enough current/relay issues/etc?)  Something I was thinking about when I considered changing mine.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Apr 18 2010, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314463
There *is* an adjustment screw on the horn, but I believe it mainly makes a slight change in the pitch. The instructions on hmaservice say that once you're done to dab some paint over the screw to prevent corrosion. But I don't think it would really make that big of a difference, and if you've gotta go through all that work to pull the grille out anyway you might as well take Road Runner out and replace him with something better.

Since there is only one horn installed OE, has anyone ever ran into any inadequacies with the circuit when they add a second horn? (horn circuit not providing enough current/relay issues/etc?)  Something I was thinking about when I considered changing mine.
Dual FIAMM Highway Blasters here for quite some time and no issues.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Apr 18 2010, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314463

I just looked at the OEM horn and there is a small allen screw which I guess is what you're talking about.

I did have some concerns about my supertones as they OEM system uses a 10 amp fuse and the Hellas came with a 30 amp relay. I've never burned the fuse and didn't use the relay. Keep in mind you rarely use the horn more than one or 2 seconds at a time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm about to pick up a set of Hella Supertones and was wondering if you had to tear apart the front end as in the posted pic from burnitwithfire, or can I just remove the grill and extend the wiring?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the front bumper comes off and goes back on the car really easy, utilize the diagrams available on hmaservice.com, you will have it off in 5 minutes or less. (you do not need to remove headlights as pictured above) It is a few bolts and a bunch of clips.

i imagine it would be more of a pain in the **** to attempt to only remove the grill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Now my next question is, I believe that I located the stock horn behind the passenger side headlight but when I reference hmaservice.com it shows that the horn is located behind the grill. Which is correct?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
You found the horn for the car alarm lol. Take a flashlight and look through the grill on the front of the car and you'll see it. Looks just like the car alarm horn.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
You have the factory keyless entry / alarm, I presume?  The main horn is behind the grille...  The horn for the alarm itself is under the hood,right behind the passenger side  headlight / next to the washer fluid filler neck.  I see you've got an '09 and sometime during that model year they deleted the underhood horn for the alarm and used the one behind the grille instead, so I guess yours was built before the changeover.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Aug 25 2010, 11:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352000
I see you've got an '09 and sometime during that model year they deleted the underhood horn for the alarm and used the one behind the grille instead, so I guess yours was built before the changeover.
Omg really???? You know how easy that would be to snip the wires on and break in with no alarm? LOL terrible idea Hyundai. Then again the alarm is only activated if a door/hood is opened anyway... you can still break the window and lean in to steal everything.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can't say I found my Accent horn too wimpy; dogs, horses and old ladies dutifully leap out of the way. But...louder is better, so I thought why not wire both horns together. All Canadian cars, and many US ones have an immoboiliser, some of which, as on my Accent, use a second horn--slightly less powerful, slightly higher tone.

Finished this simple no cost mod today. Now I have a loud two-tone horn.

Both horns work through relays, so you just connect the output of each relay together with a single wire. Took 30 fiddly minutes, only tool an Exacto knife to strip wire ends. I'll post details and pictures if anyone is interested. It should work with any make and model of car equipped with a separate immobilizer horn--provided it is relay operated.

Toot, toot.....The Professor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts