Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.7L engine, 2005 Sonata. When in drive the car just doesn't want to move. I can floor it and the rpms will barely go. Then it will "catch" and jerk car and go just for a second then nothing. If I hold the pedal it will eventually rise to high rpms and jerk back n forth but no acceleration at all.

In reverse I can go as quickly as I want with full acceleration no problems.

Even in park if I floor it, mostly it will rev as normal. Then sometimes it will like get stuck at 2500rpm or so and can't get past it. I smell like a fume as if the car is running rich?

If I hold the brake in Drive and floor it, it will go to like 2000rpm for just a quick second, then drop to below 1000 and act like it wants to die. If I let off the gas and floor it again it will rev as normal for a quick sec again then drop.

It's like the whole system is clogged and not allowing the car to accelerate in drive. But in reverse it's completely normal. I can hold brake and floor it in Reverse and the rpm will hold at 2500rpm or so like normal. What's the deal!?

This is really frustrating. Car is almost not driveable. It takea forever to accelerate to normal speed. I can floor it and it barely moves. Rpms might even race to 3500-4000 but the wheels aren't catching to accelerate with the rpm.

I am truly stumped and have no idea what this could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh I should add that I have replaced the flex pipe and the lower converter has been straight piped. So a clogged converter I don't think could be my issue.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Looks to me like a transmission rebuild is due. The fact it is fine in reverse and revs high and goes nowhere in forward trying a little tells me it's slipping badly. Check the fluid level, colour, and smell. If it smells burnt bad luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The transmission shifts fine. Like it doesn't slip or anything. The rpm won't go over 1500 in drive even if I floor it most times.

When I put it in drive, hold brake and floor it the rpm won't even reach 100p and the car shakes like it wants to die out. Let off gas and let idle and it's like it's trying to clear itself out before it idles again, almost dying.

When I reverse, then put in drive to go forward it will die a lot of times under load unless I give it a sec to idle itself in drive before trying to go.

From 0mph if I floor it in drive it won't go over 2000rpm. To accelerate in any gear I have to let off gas and back on gas constantly just to get it to accelerate anywhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a MAF sensor. The hose from throttle body to air filter compartment has a good sized crack in it. The MAF sensor is located on that hose. Maybe that could do it? But idk...I feel like I could take that hose completely off on a vehicle and I should be able to have power and the vehicle move.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you have a large vacuum leak from the sound of it. take a plastic bag wrap it around the break and duct tape it on tight but don't crush the hose. also try cleaning your maf sensor make sure you get MAF cleaner the CRC stuff imo is the best. be very carefull though and make sure you spray in shot bursts from about 7-10 inches away from the heat wires and don't touch them, if you spray too close to the heat wires you may damage them even though you cant see that you did. best of luck if any of this works make sure to give us an update so anybody in the future who has a similar problem will maybe read this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts