Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Henry from South Africa here. My 1.6 gl only cranks but won't start, I changed the fuel pump, ignition coil, spark plugs and ignition wires but it does not give spark, there is no check engine light on.

·
Registered
12,134 Posts
The first thing you should look for when you have a non start is the check light. No check light tells you right away that the problem isn't going to be the fuel pump, ignition coil, spark plugs or the ignition wires. No check light usually means there is an ECU power supply or ground issue.

The first thing to do is switch the ignition on and check ALL the fuses. Don't pull them all out to look. Just use a test light or voltmeter to probe the two test points on top of each fuse as shown below. Pay particular attention to the ECU fuses on the dashboard fusebox, and check to see if there is voltage being supplied to the INJ & SNSR fuses out on the engine bay fusebox.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
When you first turn the key to on, do you hear the fuel pump prime the fuel rail.
Does the fuel pump run for a second or two?
Looking at the dash, do you see the check engine light?
Yes, then we move on.
No, then we check fuses to see if one is blown

Then we see if there is spark at the plug
And check to see if there is injector pulse
Do these first and then tell us what you find

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys Henry from South Africa here. My 1.6 gl only cranks but won't start, I changed the fuel pump, ignition coil, spark plugs and ignition wires but it does not give spark, there is no check engine light on.
When you first turn the key to on, do you hear the fuel pump prime the fuel rail.
Does the fuel pump run for a second or two?
Looking at the dash, do you see the check engine light?
Yes, then we move on.
No, then we check fuses to see if one is blown

Then we see if there is spark at the plug
And check to see if there is injector pulse
Do these first and then tell us what you find
There's no spark but I can smell gas out of the first cylinder that I am trying to get spark from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts