Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Advance Auto Parts and one of the employees did a test on my battery. The test report is saying that the battery needs to be replaced. I should've asked him to explain exactly what was wrong with all these numbers, but he didn't seem that helpful so I didn't want to bother him.

The results:

REPLACE BATTERY
Voltage: 12.76V
Measured: 450 CCA
Rated: 800 CCA
Temperature: 111F

BATTERY FAILS TO MEET INDUSTRY ACCEPTED STANDARDS AND SHOULD BE REPLACED

Does the battery really need to be replaced, or are they just trying to get more money? From what I Google'd, these numbers seem to be adequate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
How old is the battery ? When was it installed ? Maker of Battery ? Group number ?

Your data appears that used a Midtronic Tester, and your data somewhat matches what we see on our tester..

What was the reason you decided to have battery tested ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know. The car is a 2003 Hyundai Elantra. I bought the car used fifteen months ago, and I don't have any information when they purchased the battery. I'll try to find a manufacturer date on it tomorrow. It's a really good quality battery (Interstate). I think it's the Mega-Tron Plus model, and it has an 85 month warranty. Retail price is around $120 I believe.

QUOTE (sbr711 @ Sep 16 2010, 08:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356758
What was the reason you decided to have battery tested ?
I haven't had a SINGLE issue with it since I got the car fifteen months ago. I just wanted to be safe, and get it checked out. I drive pretty long distances sometimes, and I didn't want to have it fail.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Interstate makes A LOT of different grade batteries, and they all look the same. Hard to tell if it's any good or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well does anyone know if the test numbers are fine? I heard that 12.6V+ is fine, and that the CCA is usually half the max CCA. Mine was measured at 450 and the max is 800.

·
Registered
32 Posts
12.6 volts with the car off is good. Should be around 14V with the car running. I don't believe the elantra used interstate batterys as there stock battery, so its probably the vehicle second battery.

I'm no expert but ive had experience with batteries, there's little warning when they go bad but you should be fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked at the manufacturer date. I think the battery was made in December 2005.

The battery had circles on it numbered 1-9 and the 5 was filled in, and it had the month abbreviations on it with December filled in.

I should definitely replace the battery ASAP, right?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (JDK721 @ Sep 18 2010, 09:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357044
I just looked at the manufacturer date. I think the battery was made in December 2005.

The battery had circles on it numbered 1-9 and the 5 was filled in, and it had the month abbreviations on it with December filled in.

I should definitely replace the battery ASAP, right?
The sticker on top is for the smart installer to remove the corrosponding dots as to last digit of year and month of installation.

5yr old battery, get ready for replace.. especially with that low of crank value and fact tester pops up REPLACE BATT..

Or you could leave it in till till signs of sluggish cranking,,, at least you'll know it needs battery then..

My last battery was a AC DELCO Professional, went 9 1/2 yr trouble free.. started up to leave work, drove 40 mile home, stopped for train beside neighborhood here, so I shut car off.... went to start, turn key,,, all black, somebody stole my battery.. bought a new batttery about an hr later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts