Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car and Driver achieved 33 mpg piloting the 2013 Sonata hybrid in mixed driving, which is a worthy improvement over the 27-mpg average in their test of a 2011 model.

The updates for the 2013 model are significant. Hyundai installed a lithium-polymer battery that’s 38 percent larger than before.
The hybrid control system was reprogrammed to allow it to dip deeper into the battery’s charge before switching over to the gas engine, thereby spending more time in HEV electric-only mode.

The electric motor is more also powerful for 2013, increasing from 30 to 35 kW, enabling the car to whir up to 75 mph in EV mode under light-load conditions. Despite paring back total system output from 206 to 199 horsepower, the larger battery and motor bring a heaping helping of fresh torque increasing from 193 lb-ft to 235 which notably impacts the Sonata hybrid’s acceleration performance.

The 0-to-60 time of the 2013 model improved by nearly a second and a half, from 9.5 to 8.1 seconds, putting it close to the 7.9-second 0-to-60 performance of the non-hybrid 2.4 liter Sonata.
It also smokes the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid’s 9.1-second dash.

The 2013 Sonata hybrid’s acceleration and fuel-economy improvements are quantifiable and worth mentioning, but the car’s better-integrated drivability makes a significant difference.

We already liked the smooth electric drive-off feel and the fact that the Sonata hybrid forgoes the usual wheezy CVT for a more-pleasing six-speed step-gear automatic,
but Hyundai really hit the books to work out the kinks and smooth the transitions between electric and gas-engine hybrid modes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I know, I've never understood this because I have clearly gone over 75 in EV mode only in my '13. It totally depends on the SOC and the terrain.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
New Sonata Buyer's don't take this statement "The electric motor is more also powerful for 2013, increasing from 30 to 35 kW, enabling the car to whir up to 75 mph in EV mode under light-load conditions. It dosen't mean that it is possible to go from 0-75 mph in EV. It just means that if you take your foot off the gas pedal at 75 or slightly going down hill at a high speed it shuts off the ICE and is in EV only for a few (10-30) seconds.

Here is Wayne in a 2012 @88 mph in EV

·
Registered
82 Posts
On the same note, I don't know about you guys but if my SOC is full, I can do at least 0-55mph on flat terrain in EV only (didn't have the chance to try to go faster). I wonder how fast you can get from full stop in EV when the SOC is full.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
On the same note, I don't know about you guys but if my SOC is full, I can do at least 0-55mph on flat terrain in EV only (didn't have the chance to try to go faster). I wonder how fast you can get from full stop in EV when the SOC is full.
Do you own or have driven a HSH as it's not listed in your profile? I can only get up to 25 mph with a 3/4 SOC from a stop after the update. If I lift the pedal and lightly press at 20 then again at 30 and 40 you probably can do it to 50 in EV. It's like manual shifting with your gas pedal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
whoops forgot to edit my profile. Yeah I own one. 2013, I asked about a month ago about if it was a good idea or not to get one and then I got one heh.
I can do 0-55mph in one shot _only_ if the SOC is full, else you gotta play with the pedal as you said and even that doesn't always work for me.

edit: Profile edited. I am now 100% sonata owner heh.

·
Registered
306 Posts
whoops forgot to edit my profile. Yeah I own one. 2013, I asked about a month ago about if it was a good idea or not to get one and then I got one heh.
I can do 0-55mph in one shot _only_ if the SOC is full, else you gotta play with the pedal as you said and even that doesn't always work for me.

edit: Profile edited. I am now 100% sonata owner heh.
Are you pleased with your purchase? Would you do it again?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you pleased with your purchase? Would you do it again?
Oh yes I would do again, no hesitation! I was expecting similar mpg between the HSH and my 2011 elantra but i'm actually getting noticeably better results so that's an added bonus (besides the awesome looks of this car and how well equipped it is).

Now waiting a few years for hopefully a plug-in version!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Decided to make a quick detour on my way back home tonight. Tom made me be a bit skeptical about what I said on the previous post so I wanted to test again and no better time than at midnight when I have all the roads for me.

I live near a skiing station and there are mountains nearby. The main road goes thru them with huge hill climbs. Its a 5-10km detour but I went thru it anyway for the fun of a lill EV test. The first climb is a very steep 2 step climb so I went up the first step, drove a bit then turned back halfway in the second step. On the way back, it goes from 55mph down to about 45mph while going downhill so regen braking at its best. Battery is full on the way down and engine braking kicks in.

Once back down, it comes over a small bridge with a nice stretch of flat road and then tiny climb at the end of it. I coast to almost a stop just before I hit the small climb. I turn around before reaching it and start doing the EV test.

I was able to do 0-50mph on EV until I hit the big slope upwards again which made me slowdown and ICE kicked in. She still had some juice left, I will have to try it again with a more aggressive acceleration next time to see if I can get faster. Acceleration was at the pace of a very heavy semi. I didn't want to do it again in a short time as I did not want to abuse the battery too much.

Note that the gas tank was at 1 bar, I need to fillup tomorrow. Also she's a 1 month old 2013 HSH so the battery is brand new too (no capacity degredation if there is such a thing?).

http://goo.gl/maps/WjQcw
(I went from A to B for battery reload. Then B to C for 0-50mph EV)

I wonder how much can be done on EV only like that, hmm.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since C & D constantly reminds readers they are an enthusiasts publication I assume they drive their cars differently in road tests.
For the 2011 Sonata hybrid they averaged 27 mpg; Consumer Reports tests returned 33.

For the 2013 version C & D averaged 33 mpg so it will be interesting to see what CR gets with it.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since C & D constantly reminds readers they are an enthusiasts publication I assume they drive their cars differently in road tests.
For the 2011 Sonata hybrid they averaged 27 mpg; Consumer Reports tests returned 33.

For the 2013 version C & D averaged 33 mpg so it will be interesting to see what CR gets with it.
Maybe they will test a 2014 later this year.
They should as the HSH continues to sell well.

X

·
0 Posts
I was able to do 0-50mph on EV until I hit the big slope upwards again which made me slowdown and ICE kicked in. She still had some juice left, I will have to try it again with a more aggressive acceleration next time to see if I can get faster. Acceleration was at the pace of a very heavy semi. I didn't want to do it again in a short time as I did not want to abuse the battery too much.///

Congrats on new ride! No worries about abuse on the battery as its covered for life B)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts