Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the alarm transmitter for my 2002 Sonata, so I lock/unlock the car using only the key, or using the lock button inside the car now,
before losing the remote I didn't use it to lock/unlock the car.

So, what I can't figure out is why the alarm will sometimes go off (lights, make noise,) when I unlock the car?
Since the alarm isn't being 'turned on' with the keyless-remote/transmitter it shouldn't be activating itself, or can it do this? ...

There's no mention of being able to turn the car alarm on without using the remote in my owner's manual, so I'm stumped :(
Or, can the car alarm still go off when I go to unlock it if somebody tried to mess with it? if I didn't close the door properly?, etc . .

Am I right in thinking that the alarm should never come on since I only use my key to lock/unlock?

So, is this just a bug in the alarm system?

Any help is appreciated, I looked elsewhere online and found zero information on this issue

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,704 Posts
The alarm shouldn't normally arm unless you switch it on with the remote, so it sounds like there is a bug in the system.

Even if you were to switch the alarm on using the remote it wont arm if one of the doors, the trunk, or the hood has been left opened.
So what you could try that might prevent it from going off is unbolt the hood pin switch from the car body and just zip tie it in the engine bay somewhere. Leave the switch connected to the car's harness and it will be continually sending a signal to the alarm telling it that the hood is open, which should stop the alarm from arming.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I lost the alarm transmitter for my 2002 Sonata, so I lock/unlock the car using only the key, or using the lock button inside the car now,
before losing the remote I didn't use it to lock/unlock the car.

So, what I can't figure out is why the alarm will sometimes go off (lights, make noise,) when I unlock the car?
Since the alarm isn't being 'turned on' with the keyless-remote/transmitter it shouldn't be activating itself, or can it do this? ...

There's no mention of being able to turn the car alarm on without using the remote in my owner's manual, so I'm stumped :(
Or, can the car alarm still go off when I go to unlock it if somebody tried to mess with it? if I didn't close the door properly?, etc . .

Am I right in thinking that the alarm should never come on since I only use my key to lock/unlock?

So, is this just a bug in the alarm system?

Any help is appreciated, I looked elsewhere online and found zero information on this issue
Turn the key to unlock the door 2 times, that’s the bypass for the alarm, from what I remember. Sorry, it’s been quite a while since I ran into that malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turn the key to unlock the door 2 times, that’s the bypass for the alarm, from what I remember. Sorry, it’s been quite a while since I ran into that malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The alarm shouldn't normally arm unless you switch it on with the remote, so it sounds like there is a bug in the system.

Even if you were to switch the alarm on using the remote it wont arm if one of the doors, the trunk, or the hood has been left opened.
So what you could try that might prevent it from going off is unbolt the hood pin switch from the car body and just zip tie it in the engine bay somewhere. Leave the switch connected to the car's harness and it will be continually sending a signal to the alarm telling it that the hood is open, which should stop the alarm from arming.
View attachment 445053
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely consider doing that if replacing the remote costs to much. I saw with some cars you can buy the remote on Amazon and just get it programmed at a locksmith, dealership . . . I haven't researched this for my Sonata yet. I wonder if Autozone, O'reilleys, or Midas has this program? seems cheaper than going to a Hyundai dealership

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,704 Posts
Any garage that has a decent diagnostic scan tool should be able to program a remote. That's not necessarily something you need to have done at the dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts