Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 18 ltd Tucson for about 1.5 months now and love it. I get in yesterday to go to the store and see a service due in 29 days notification. At first I was like what service? The car only has 784 miles on it (yes i drive very little).

Did some research online and I guess the service minder default is 3mo or X miles interval before alert for service. Considering that I'm only at 784 miles and there's no error codes I can assume that the ECU is just doing it's job based on the service minder parameters set and I can ignore the service due in 29 days thing?

Or should I take it in that early to swap oil (assuming that's the service minder)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Personally I'd wait till 6 months to have it changed. I'd also change the settings for the reminders. Hyundai covers the first at 3K miles normally.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If it is the original oil I would change it.
With less than 1000 miles on it, after only 65 days, you would change the oil?
I personally would not advise changing the oil until you reach 6 months. At your current rate of driving it will have about 3,000 miles on it at that point.

Reactions: solman98

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Personally I'd wait till 6 months to have it changed. I'd also change the settings for the reminders. Hyundai covers the first at 3K miles normally.
He's paid for 5 year service....would you pay for for it and not use it?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I personally would not advise changing the oil until you reach 6 months. At your current rate of driving it will have about 3,000 miles on it at that point.
I would love to sell you a 5 year maintenance plan and have you not use it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's paid for 5 year service....would you pay for for it and not use it?
To be fair, they gave me the maintenance plan gratis. But I guess I'll just contact Hyundai and see what they suggest. (shrug). Was more making sure I didn't have anything going on.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Having a maintenance plan does not give you unlimited service. I'm sure his booklet states time or mileage.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Sure, however my dealer did not provide my booklet, only 2 keyfobs. I'm still waiting to get it back. I'll have to inquire.
You didn't get the owners/warranty manuals with a new vehicle purchase? Nothing that shows you bought (you paid for it) the 5 year maintenance plan and what it covers?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You didn't get the owners/warranty manuals with a new vehicle purchase? Nothing that shows you bought (you paid for it) the 5 year maintenance plan and what it covers?
Let me rephrase. I have my paperwork/etc yes but no owners manual. they owe me one

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Let me rephrase. I have my paperwork/etc yes but no owners manual. they owe me one
I would be down someones throat at that dealership.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Factory fill I would change before the service is needed.

·
Registered
941 Posts
1) Change the intervals in the settings, using your steering wheel controls... there's an amazing world of settings in there.

2) 800 miles is probably too early, I feel. I do recommend an early-ish change of oil to drain out any extra metal particles from the new engine breaking in, 2000-3000 miles. Then follow the manual, 7500 miles..

3) Any maintenance plan you got is most likely going to be at defined mileage intervals, so if you go in early they might let you use up your first mileage spot early, or you could just pay for it and retain your schedule...

Hopefully you were told / read / saw all the details of the maintenance plan they are giving you... I've been at a few dealerships where oil changes and stuff were free as long as you followed their maintenance package schedule which then ended up being $300 for every air filter replacement, and $500 for every inspection... exaggeration but not by much.

IF it's just free oil changes with no other conditions, awesome. But be prepared to be offered every service under the sun every time you go in. And don't let them tell you that something is required when it is not. Dealership service bays are there to make money, not to only give you the basics.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would love to sell you a 5 year maintenance plan and have you not use it.
On a previous vehicle I did have a maintenance plan. I used it, but minimally, and then canceled it.
Regardless whether it has a maintenance plan or not, a vehicle does not need an oil change at 1000 miles or 2-1/2 months.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I'm one who would change the factory fill no matter what within the first 1000 miles. And with Hyundai having engine manufacturing debris issues it just seems a good thing to do. Oil is cheap compared to the hassles of warranty work. Then there is the issue of the factory fill. Some prefer better oil from the start.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm one who would change the factory fill no matter what within the first 1000 miles. And with Hyundai having engine manufacturing debris issues it just seems a good thing to do. Oil is cheap compared to the hassles of warranty work. Then there is the issue of the factory fill. Some prefer better oil from the start.
Unless it has changed - FF is Quaker State Full Synthetic (some believe QSUD.) Not a horrible FF. To be fair - I changed my FF in my '17 Elantra at 2K because of the same logic as you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts