Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I work on my cars as much as I can and I'm not a complete idiot. I've replaced clutches, brakes, timing belts, water pumps, radiators, etc, etc. My 2003 Elantra has 65,000 miles on it and a few years ago I tried to replace the PCV valve with no luck. The PCV valve is threaded into a copper/metal ring that is pressure fitted into the valve cover. When I tried to remove the PCV valve the copper/metal ring spun thus not allowing me to unscrew the PCV valve out of the copper/metal ring. Now when I try to unscrew the PCV valve the copper/metal ring spins in the plastic. I can't get the PCV valve out to replace it.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to fix this?

Thanks.

-GadgetAdam

·
Registered
333 Posts
:beer: :beer:

Hey there "burken" and "gadgetadam";

Could you guys post some digital pictures of your PCV valve/hose assembly.
A quick look at the HMAWebTech seems to be easy to remove.

"burken"; :00000732: to the Forum.

"gadgetadam", your OP is dated 2007, did you get any help in removing it?

:amen:

:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 elantra and just last week my mechanic pulled the copper piece out, put the new pcv valve in it and JB Welded back into the casing on the valve cover. Didn't have $210 to get a new valve cover from Dealer!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've just run into the same issue, only I have to take the blame, I tried to wrench the valve off and I broke the metal piece free. Now it just spins. seems like poor engineering to me. Maybe the metal bit should have had splines? Or maybe it should have flat sides so it can be gripped? I tried holding the metal collar in place with a flat head screwdriver, but it just strips away the metal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this seems like a common issue. Anyone have any tips on the PVC valve replacement when the fitting it screws into also spins? I tried to replace mine and this also happened. I really want to avoid removing the valve cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2005 Elantra.
I too tried to take the PVC valve out and ended up sheering it off. Very poor design imho unless Hyundai never intended it to be replaced.
I took the valve cover off (not a difficult task) and then drilled out the old PVC valve (it is relatively soft so was quite easy to do without damaging the threads.
Chose a drill that was just a bit smaller than the hole that the PVC screws into so that the threads don't get damaged. At some point the metal from the PVC valve stem is so thin that it is easy to separate from the threads and pull out.

It was then easy to put in the new PVC valve.

If you don't take the valve cover off it is next to impossible to get at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish someone would share a solution for this. I also have this problem.

OK. I work on my cars as much as I can and I'm not a complete idiot. I've replaced clutches, brakes, timing belts, water pumps, radiators, etc, etc. My 2003 Elantra has 65,000 miles on it and a few years ago I tried to replace the PCV valve with no luck. The PCV valve is threaded into a copper/metal ring that is pressure fitted into the valve cover. When I tried to remove the PCV valve the copper/metal ring spun thus not allowing me to unscrew the PCV valve out of the copper/metal ring. Now when I try to unscrew the PCV valve the copper/metal ring spins in the plastic. I can't get the PCV valve out to replace it.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to fix this?

Thanks.

-GadgetAdam

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you screwed-in the new (replacement PCV valve), how did you prevent the threads from spinning?

2005 Elantra.
I too tried to take the PVC valve out and ended up sheering it off. Very poor design imho unless Hyundai never intended it to be replaced.
I took the valve cover off (not a difficult task) and then drilled out the old PVC valve (it is relatively soft so was quite easy to do without damaging the threads.
Chose a drill that was just a bit smaller than the hole that the PVC screws into so that the threads don't get damaged. At some point the metal from the PVC valve stem is so thin that it is easy to separate from the threads and pull out.

It was then easy to put in the new PVC valve.

If you don't take the valve cover off it is next to impossible to get at it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unless you either have access to the tool and the new thread boss to compress I'm there or buy a new VC jb weld seems to be the way to do it.. iv seen it on just about every one I work on with over 100k on it's clock..

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK. I'm going to try this. Please, if you can indulge me, review the process.

From this thread, It sounds like if I put enough pressure on the PCV valve (between the valve cover and the engine), that the PCV Valve will come out along with the brass fitting. Is that correct?

Also, suppose I removed the plate with 20 screws on the inside of the valve cover, would that help me access this? Maybe there's something on the inside that I could grab?

Unless you either have access to the tool and the new thread boss to compress I'm there or buy a new VC jb weld seems to be the way to do it.. iv seen it on just about every one I work on with over 100k on it's clock..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes on the inside of the VC I believe there is the (nut) end of the brass insert.. or bang the pcv valve in with a hammer while turning it to come off sometimes grips it ..

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just replaced mine today. Fortunately I didn’t have the issues all of you have had.

Though I damaged the valve cover somewhat trying to get the hard and stuck gasket out. It was only on the outside so hopefully it’ll be ok.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts