Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The first thing you need to do is find out if it has a std or dual mass flywheel. If it's the older std type their cheap but labor intensive but but dual mass are very expensive and yea you gotta weigh it all up before spending the money. 238K its still a baby.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
when I looked at prices on Amazon, the flywheel that fits my specific car, according to them, is a dual mass.

I'll be working on my back on the floor and I dont have a tranny jack so Im planning on building a DIY plywood and ratchet strap platform to sit on my little trolley jack.

I recon its probably too heavy and awkward by hand although I did the clutch on a '67 camaro alone -when I was much younger! (ok I needed help putting it back in)

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
My guess the Camero had a alloy case trans and lots of room around the gearbox to work. I am just in the process of fitting upper control arm bushes to my work van. Thought it would be an easy job but 1.5 days later it's now all apart ready for reassembly What was the price for the flywheel kit?.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
ah the good old days, when there was space to work!
dm flywheel is about400€ clutch kit incl throwout/slave cylinder is 375€
engine hoist another 50€
another question:
I've never changed the gearbox or transfer case fluid on this car. I've done 100k km on it since I bought it (at 150k). do you recon it's necessary? the units are sealed right? it won't come pouring out when I remove them?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Some might come out when you take out the drive shafts but at that many kms change the fluid then you won't ever have to change it again. Won't take that much oil. They sell the dm flywheel and clutch as a complete kit here and they work out around $3000 so that's not a bad price.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I was injured in bed for 3 weeks. got back to the car on Monday.
So. I discovered the only way to move the trans far enough left to access the clutch was to take out the 2 bolts and drop the left side of subframe as far as it would go.
pressure plate and disc are good, must have been replaced before , but dmf and throwout were in really bad shape. that certainly explains the vibration at idle!
here's hoping putting it back together is easier than taking it apart!

Attachments

61 - 69 of 69 Posts