Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed over the past week or so that sometime when driving from a stop i cannot get the shifter into 2nd from 1st. seems if i go to n then 2nd it works fine. but going straight into second is hard to do. It seems to only do it when the car has sat for a while. Once warm, seems to be fine.

any ideas?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The symptom is very typical for bad synchronizer. It is also typical that the 2nd gear is involved. The reason you can put it into 2nd gear after putting it into neutral, is that you are effectively double-clutching, synchronizing the gears manually. (Google double clutching for more info.)

If this is the 2010 Accent, then it is awfully early for this to happen, unless you abused the tranny (like shifted regularly while the clutch was not fully depressed), or there is another problem, possibly with the clutch.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, no abuse here. i always push the clutch pedal all the way in. maybe my short throw is contributing somehow...

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
where does your clutch engage on the pedal travel, has the engagement point changed on you recently? since you arent mentioning any problems in other gears i doubt its the clutch master/slave cylinders but i figured I would ask.

unless something didnt go quite right with your shifter installation I dont know if that would cause any problems, it is standard on the SE package.

i agree sounds kind of like a synchro issue in 2nd gear. when you shift into 2nd, do you shift quickly, or to you shift slow enough to allow the revs to drop to ideal range before releasing the clutch?

I am at 23k miles, and have a slight synchro whine in 1st and 2nd gear, which I attribute to the occasional hard launches and hard shifting during autocross (only a 1-2 shift), and occasionally during daily driving. no shifting issues here and no noises in the other gears.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tend to pull it into 2nd. i have done this on my other stick shift cars in the past- no problems. maybe i just need to let it guide into 2nd from now on?

clutch seems same as it always has been.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It could be a bad cable adjustment. Mine can be hard to put in 1st and is a PITA to get into reverse. It's been that way since I bought it new. I'm waiting to install a short shifter to realign the cables.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fast shifting from 1st to 2nd put more strain on the 2nd gear synchro than regular, slow shifting. And why would you install a short throw if you didn't want to shift fast? Still, if that's the cause, it doesn't reflect well on the quality of the tranny.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (tarbasd @ Nov 6 2010, 02:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369532
Fast shifting from 1st to 2nd put more strain on the 2nd gear synchro than regular, slow shifting. And why would you install a short throw if you didn't want to shift fast? Still, if that's the cause, it doesn't reflect well on the quality of the tranny.
The problem with a short throw it that on the transmission side, it acts as if you're shifting fast even if you're shifting at regular speed. If you start shifting fast and hard, you're putting a lot of strain on the syncros and wearing them faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts