Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had P0456 and P0455 errors- concluded its the gas or fuel cap.
My hyundai 2006 santa fe is on the cuspid of the major year change in model 2007.
These are ALL genuine hyundai parts from hyundai dealers in
mobis stamped boxes or sealed packages
1.) I tried 31010-3L600 did not work- could barely get one click THE NOTCH in the THREAD portion of the cap does NOT match old fuel or filler or gas cap.

2.) Dealer gave me 31010-C1000 said its for the 2006 model, however thread of filler cap is totally different its NOT notched- Yes it screws in with multiple clicks NOW getting a P0455 Large leak error with this fuel cap (before was getting P0456 very small leak.

Does any one have a clue what cap/filler/fuel goes to the santa fe hyundai.
*VIN can be supplied if that would help- Dealer looked up VIN to provide the last.

Do these filler caps break down Mechanically or gasket or both?

What I will try next swap out the the current new gasket off the new NON working gas filler cap 31010-C1000 and put on old orginal gas cap.

If you look up these hyundai oem fuel cap part #'s none of them suggest they will fit a Hyundai 2006 santa fe 2.7L GLS YET the dealership prescribed both that dont work.

Advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is my experience that the small and very small leaks are never the fuel cap. It's usually a leak in the vapor system and can be very hard to find.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is my experience that the small and very small leaks are never the fuel cap. It's usually a leak in the vapor system and can be very hard to find.
My topic is the fuel cap and finding the correct fit for my year Hyundai. The engine light codes are due to an improper cap- factually tested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My topic is the fuel cap and finding the correct fit for my year Hyundai. The engine light codes are due to an improper cap- factually tested.

I'd look at Rock Auto. They have 4 standard caps listed and 4 locking caps listed with keys.
If you still have your original cap, I'd look at the "info" and compare to see which looks most like yours. Even if you decide to buy it from your dealer you can use the info page on the caps to see what oem part number equivalent they are.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd look at Rock Auto. They have 4 standard caps listed and 4 locking caps listed with keys.
If you still have your original cap, I'd look at the "info" and compare to see which looks most like yours. Even if you decide to buy it from your dealer you can use the info page on the caps to see what oem part number equivalent they are.
Thanks I looked at all these fuel caps at rock auto none of them have that OEM notch in the threads that locks it down and or the vent is different and or dont have the proper seal. Hyundai cars are very picky when it comes too parts I have had issues with MAF sensors, knock sensors, oil filters (K&N leaks on 2.7 v6) amongst other aftermarket parts that are not spec'd correctly to korean engineering (not that korean engineering is that great)

Currently I ordered Kia part # 31010-38200 we will see if this matches. Kia parts work sometimes for hyundai.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As far as I know the 02-06 all use the same gas cap. I have been using the Stant aftermarket cap for about 10 years now. Simple and reliable. No leaks and no vent issues here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
Fuel Tank Cap Assy

The correct part number is: 3101038500, however, it is no longer in
production. A salvage yard would be a good suggestion and if you note
the effectivities for the part, you ought to be able to locate a cap. You
might try to locate one of the following vehicles:

Hyundai Accent 2001,2002
Hyundai Elantra 01,02
Santa Fe (SM) All 6 years
XG300/350 01-05

Source of Info:

https://www.jimellishyundaiparts.com/default.aspx

I use this site for determining part numbers and effectivities.
Give E-Bay a shot, lots of salvage parts there also.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased an exact match for my original cap at the dealership a few weeks ago. I think I still have the packaging with label at work in my garbage.

I'll look tomorrow and see if it's still there. I ordered it because I got a p0441, although I did replace the purge valve also due to the code.

Hopefully it's there, I'll post back tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just purchased an exact match for my original cap at the dealership a few weeks ago. I think I still have the packaging with label at work in my garbage.

I'll look tomorrow and see if it's still there. I ordered it because I got a p0441, although I did replace the purge valve also due to the code.

Hopefully it's there, I'll post back tomorrow.
Sorry, garbage was already emptied.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts