Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have both the return and the pressure hose leaking on my 2004 Sonata Base 2.4L.
I've managed to get all the brackets loose, but can't get the fittings on the...steering column? loose.
I've removed the air cleaner-throttle body part to make room to get at it from the top. I've been spraying it with Liquid Wrench/PB Blaster for several weeks. I'm in Upstate NY where things tend to corrode.
The big problem seems to be there is very little clearance between the two fittings-about 1/8". I tried a 17mm line wrench, then a 17mm crow's foot wrench. Finally ordered a set of flare crow's foot wrenches. Nothing seems to work, and now the lower fitting is starting to round off. I've tried vise grips- they slip. I've tried a small pipe wrench- I can't get any leverage on it.
I managed to change the return hose in my prior car, 2002 Sonata V6, but I think I whacked the brake lines, as I lost the brakes shortly thereafter (!). The brake lines in the 2004 have already been replaced, so they should be more sturdy, but whoever installed them routed them closer to the steering fittings, meaning they are harder to work around. I can't get the pressure line disconnected where it joins against the firewall, when I realized I was going to have to remove the pressure line to get at the return line, I just ordered the second part (tube) of the pressure line and figured I would replace it all.
So, I'm pretty close to talking to the local garage and see what they say. My other options are:
Cut the line, and put an impact socket or a bolt remover on it.
Try a cold spray.
Try a MAPP torch.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I wound up cutting both lines and fitting a thinwall 12 pt. socket over the fittings. I wound up using the regular crow's- foot wrenches to install the new lines; there wasn't enough clearance to use the flare nut tools. Feh.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Second follow-up: I couldn't find this information online. How much fluid does the system hold? The only info I could find was for a totally different vehicle. Poster stated "about a quart". So, I had (2) 12oz bottles of Hyundai PSF-4 I had purchased. I put about half of one into the system and ran it through into a container, as I wasn't sure exactly what might be in there-it had been leaking before I bought the car. At that time, I put some power steering fluid of some kind in to get it home, then I topped it off with SPF-III ATF which is what I put in my '02 Sonata.
The PSF-4 said you can use it to top off PSF-3, but if you want to fill the system you should flush it? Huh? OK, I flushed it. Putting the other half of the first 12oz bottle of PSF-4, and the second bottle in did not fill the system. I had to have a friend pick up another 12oz bottle. That brought the level up to "MAX" on the reservoir. Although noisy at first, the pump seems to be quieting down now. So far (knocks wood) no leaks. So the whole system takes about a quart of PSF. If I had to do it over, I would have just bought 2 quarts of SPF-III ATF and used that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts