Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just bought a 2008 Hyundai Accent 4-dr sedan. I want to carry my canoe aboard, and have Thule racks for which I've ordered a new fit kit #2124 in anticipation they'll work. (The Thules are from a 1991 Civic hatchback, a lovely little beast and the last car I owned ... well, besides a 1969 Mercedes but she is high maintenance and doesn't get out much any more :)

My problem is, where do I tie down front and back?! I've got tie-down straps with hooks for latching onto the car and ratchets for tightening. My preference is to have V-ed straps front and back for best stability in wind, but I'd settle for a centered front and back.

I've found a hook in at the back, centered, not ideal but at least it exists. However, I haven't found anything suitable up front. I contacted the local Hyundai dealer and was told there was a tow ring underneath, centered. Unfortunately he was incorrect, and the tow ring (which you can screw in when needed) is off center, on the front passenger side. It's great for the one strap hook, except there is only one, off center.

I crawled around and found a hole that appears to be part of a framing that I may be able to hook into underneath on the driver side. However, the strap will need to rest over the bumpers and those are not exactly rigorous for ratcheting. The Hyundai fellow had said his dad puts towels under the straps on the front and doesn't tighten too much from that end, instead from the back. Again, not ideal.

I can't find reference to this anywhere else online for a solution, and then found this forum. I am hoping someone has already solved this. BTW, it seems incredible to me that all cars are not built with tie-down locations!

Please let me know your solutions. Pictures would be wonderful.
Cheers,
Andrea

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (Andrea Chappell @ Aug 27 2010, 02:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352328
Hello,
I just bought a 2008 Hyundai Accent 4-dr sedan. I want to carry my canoe aboard, and have Thule racks for which I've ordered a new fit kit #2124 in anticipation they'll work. (The Thules are from a 1991 Civic hatchback, a lovely little beast and the last car I owned ... well, besides a 1969 Mercedes but she is high maintenance and doesn't get out much any more :)

My problem is, where do I tie down front and back?! I've got tie-down straps with hooks for latching onto the car and ratchets for tightening. My preference is to have V-ed straps front and back for best stability in wind, but I'd settle for a centered front and back.

I've found a hook in at the back, centered, not ideal but at least it exists. However, I haven't found anything suitable up front. I contacted the local Hyundai dealer and was told there was a tow ring underneath, centered. Unfortunately he was incorrect, and the tow ring (which you can screw in when needed) is off center, on the front passenger side. It's great for the one strap hook, except there is only one, off center.

I crawled around and found a hole that appears to be part of a framing that I may be able to hook into underneath on the driver side. However, the strap will need to rest over the bumpers and those are not exactly rigorous for ratcheting. The Hyundai fellow had said his dad puts towels under the straps on the front and doesn't tighten too much from that end, instead from the back. Again, not ideal.

I can't find reference to this anywhere else online for a solution, and then found this forum. I am hoping someone has already solved this. BTW, it seems incredible to me that all cars are not built with tie-down locations!

Please let me know your solutions. Pictures would be wonderful.
Cheers,
Andrea
I have a 10 foot kayak that I bring around. I tie 1 in the back (centered on my hitch) In the front I tie one end of the strap hook on my tow hook in the bumper, and one end under the bumper (in the grill) on the bumper metal support and I bind it. I put a pair of socks on the strap where ever it touches the car :)

I have no actual pics so i drew one up.. hope it helps. With this setup I've also put 2 kayaks on my roof one on top of other and did a 500km trip with them there. Never moved. Although, you have a canoe.. so its another story :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello HyundaiSR,
Thanks for your note. I think you are suggesting a hook-in location that'd I'd seen as the only possibility. It's on the frame bar (or, as you corrected me, the bumper support) sort of under the front corner of the battery. I'll give that a whirl. I did end up taking the canoe on an hour trip, with straps around the kneeling thwart and yoke, through the car windows. Not elegant, but it worked, and was secure. I'll feel better when I get my proper fit kit for my Thule racks.

I appreciated in particular the drawing ... very helpful, thanks! :)
Andrea

·
Registered
83 Posts
QUOTE (Andrea Chappell @ Aug 31 2010, 05:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353366
Hello HyundaiSR,
Thanks for your note. I think you are suggesting a hook-in location that'd I'd seen as the only possibility. It's on the frame bar (or, as you corrected me, the bumper support) sort of under the front corner of the battery. I'll give that a whirl. I did end up taking the canoe on an hour trip, with straps around the kneeling thwart and yoke, through the car windows. Not elegant, but it worked, and was secure. I'll feel better when I get my proper fit kit for my Thule racks.

I appreciated in particular the drawing ... very helpful, thanks! :)
Andrea
Well no problem!

The Thule rack is my next purchase here. My current setup for my kayak is starting to damage my roof a bit :blownose:

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiSR @ Aug 31 2010, 06:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353382
Well no problem!

The Thule rack is my next purchase here. My current setup for my kayak is starting to damage my roof a bit :blownose:
I've been carrying a 10 foot kayak on my accent roof for hundreds of km. no damage. i just use those foam pieces on the roof. At the back I tie it down to a large eye bolt securely mounted on a spare hitch draw bar. I have the factory "Accessory Frame". In the front I tie the nose down to two rope loops poking out thu the hood/side fender line. (see pic). It's a little difficult to catch the loop once you've pushed it thru but a but a hook will get it (use a coat hanger). With this there's no scraping of the paint by the attachments ropes. And very strong. A paddle retailer showed me this way. He tells everybody.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts