Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The relay is part of the harness, which is an electrical isolation circuit. Instead of taking power from the original headlight circuit, it takes it directly from the battery. The factory headlight circuit is only used to trigger the relay by energizing its coil.
The ballast converts the voltage from the battery supplied 12 volts to whatever the higher voltage is that HIDs require.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I trust the guy who sold me the kit a lot, he know what he's doing. he said these ballast are digital and they don't require a harness. I told him I wanted it. I was telling him take my money he said nope I don't need it. So now I'm confused this is making just not want hids period.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I trust the guy who sold me the kit a lot, he know what he's doing. he said these ballast are digital and they don't require a harness. I told him I wanted it. I was telling him take my money he said nope I don't need it. So now I'm confused this is making just not want hids period.
You are in a forum of people that actually own YF Sonatas, many of us have added HIDs. Some of us have not used a harness and ended up having the car towed to a dealership for an expensive control module replacement.
If you search previous postings, you will find these discussions.
If you search this forum for canbus ballasts nullifying the need for a harness, I'm not aware that you will find that.
Does your sales person drive a Sonata?
HIDs are an awesome upgrade, the harness is not difficult to install.
None of us on this forum want you to have a bad experience modding your car. I've just given you my best advice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the peace of mind I'll do it..
It's just I had a bad experience with a harness before, it was too short and had to return the whole kit blah blah it took too long.
Where do you think I can go and pick one up right now.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
For the peace of mind I'll do it..
It's just I had a bad experience with a harness before, it was too short and had to return the whole kit blah blah it took too long.
Where do you think I can go and pick one up right now.
Where are you getting your kit from? Most of us have the ones from Xenon Supply and theirs comes with the harness.

eBay could be your friend. However, I would be hesitant due to unknown quality. No telling if that $15 harness doesn't save your Sonata's BCM from a fiery death.

I would honestly recommend you read some of the numerous HID threads on this forum to get an idea of kit quality, install times/troubles/shortcuts, and experiences. A quick search should net you all of them, including the HID Superthread.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
$15 dollar harness to protect $700 dollar computer module

just because the digital ballast has a built in power regulator doesn't meant it can't spike the computer controller
with the relay harness the controller only has to power a 1 watt relay
and the relay connects the ballasts directly to the battery that way
eliminating flicker and power drop issues as well as protecting the controller

if a ballast dies or the internal regulator failsin the future it only risks a relay harness

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you getting your kit from? Most of us have the ones from Xenon Supply and theirs comes with the harness.

eBay could be your friend. However, I would be hesitant due to unknown quality. No telling if that $15 harness doesn't save your Sonata's BCM from a fiery death.

I would honestly recommend you read some of the numerous HID threads on this forum to get an idea of kit quality, install times/troubles/shortcuts, and experiences. A quick search should net you all of them, including the HID Superthread.
I've ordered from xenon supply and it was a nightmare the harness was too short the bulbs were not modified and the return/exchange process was terrible.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Interesting...most of us have had the opposite experience. Myself, I was a DDM customer until my last issue with a bulb and I had to send in pictures to secure a repalcement.

Yes I agree the harnesses are a bit short but depending on how you route them you can still reach from one side of the car to the other.

Well I guess you can always try exLeds or maybe take a chance with an eBay or Amazon vendor. Maybe you have a car customization shop in your local area (Chi-town should) that could hook you up with a harness?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I've called every possible shop and they sell "kits" for around 60 bucks I just want the harness ASAP I tried the guy I went to but he's too busy and of course doesn't want to sell me the harness for myself to install

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
So then order one from somewhere.

Get the right stuff THEN install. Don't try to back track or race through it.

And someone that says you dont need a relay harness is playing with YOUR money. Never ceases to amaze me.....

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Alright I'm buying the relay and you guys are going to help install
Buy something reputable and you wont have an issue. DDM has harnesses, The RetrofitSource has them, XS has them.

Buying unknown stuff because its cheap (read: Ebay) can contribute to a problem. DDM's are cheap and come with everything when you buy their kit. Same with TRS and XS. Cost wise its DDM, XS and TRS.

Companies that have been around a while also will have decent stuff.

And installing an HID system isn't rocket science. XS has a great schematic to follow.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
i zip tied my harness along the fan cover ...it was a little short to go above or below

1 - 20 of 25 Posts