Hyundai Forums banner
321 - 325 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadly I have joined this forum after being told by the Oakville, Ontario dealership that I need a new engine. I took the 2013 Elantra in because of a ticking sound which increased on acceleration. So it appears to be this same common issue.

I am out of warranty (124k miles) and was given no option by the dealership other than engine replacement or trade in.

I have contacted Hyundai Corporate and have asked them for their suggestion, using information and quoting the Technical Service Bulletin 14-20-002. The Service agent was at least polite and gave the impression of looking into it, however claimed there are no recalls and therefore they have no responsibility. I requested that they respond to me to tell me why my vehicle is not covered under this TSB and why they would not have responsibility. I am awaiting that call back, but I am not optimistic.

Has anyone any further advice on how to get Hyundai to provide assistance on this?

Assuming the worst, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a refurbished engine installed that perhaps would be a cheaper option to consider.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sadly I have joined this forum after being told by the Oakville, Ontario dealership that I need a new engine. I took the 2013 Elantra in because of a ticking sound which increased on acceleration. So it appears to be this same common issue.

I am out of warranty (124k miles) and was given no option by the dealership other than engine replacement or trade in.

I have contacted Hyundai Corporate and have asked them for their suggestion, using information and quoting the Technical Service Bulletin 14-20-002. The Service agent was at least polite and gave the impression of looking into it, however claimed there are no recalls and therefore they have no responsibility. I requested that they respond to me to tell me why my vehicle is not covered under this TSB and why they would not have responsibility. I am awaiting that call back, but I am not optimistic.

Has anyone any further advice on how to get Hyundai to provide assistance on this?

Assuming the worst, does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a refurbished engine installed that perhaps would be a cheaper option to consider.

Thanks for any input.

If you can’t get any help from Hyundai start looking into those engines out of Japan I referred to above. I can’t remember the companies names that sell them in the US but they come in from Canada, probably via the Port Of Montreal.
Try asking the service manager and or the parts guy at Hyundai. Otherwise call around the speed shops. These outfits are no secret ,I first found out about them in the mid 90s. All of them I saw were complete engines on pallet. All very low mileage and priced well. Call around. That’s your best bet if it’s on your dime I bet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally got the new short block installed after waiting a couple months, so far all is well again. I had them install a new timing chain and tensioner while they had it apart.
Hopefully this motor will last for the life of te rest of the car now.
Are you able to confirm what it cost you to get this work done? Hyundai is proposing to replace the short block in my 2011 Hyundai Elantra for free here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, saying that it'll cost me $1910 CDN tax in if I want them to replace "both phasors and timing gear" during the installation of the new short block. The cost of replacing those items, if not done at the same time as the short block, would be $2550 CDN tax in....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read this thread a year or two ago.....my daughter's car started knocking due to bore scoring (the issue these cars have) about 45K miles. I just finished buying a used engine and "remanufactured" block form Hyundai (I think it's probably all new) and installed it in the car the past weekend. I got it running, it sounded fantastic, but then had an issue when I took it for a test drive, it's a long story, but it now does not put a pulse out on number 2 fuel injector. Everything else is perfect. I bought a used ECU and will try it.

I did take the engine apart that I bought (was going to have a machine shop oversize it), but decided to go with a new short block once I found out I could get it for $920 from a local dealer. I am in the Chicago area.

Even the used engine I bought had severe bore scoring.

Hopefully I will get the car done next weekend at the latest. We'll see.

The car was bought with a rebuild title, so no warranty.

Here is a video of the used engine all apart:

321 - 325 of 325 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.