Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got word that from the dealership that my 2013 Elantra with less than 45,000 km on it (bought in June 2012) needs to have the block replaced. Check engine light came on and it was shaking on idle, so took it in and that was the diagnosis. $2000 for the black and $1500 for labour -- dealer said they would try to get the block "goodwilled" by Hyundai Canada so that I just have to pay labour. Anyone else go through this? Any advice. I am more than appalled at the diagnosis but after doing some reading, apparently this isn't all that uncommon.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is it under warranty still? If not, a $3500 repair on a car that's worth less than $10,000 is quite a tough pill to swallow. I'd just trade it in instead of paying that much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just got word that from the dealership that my 2013 Elantra with less than 45,000 km on it (bought in June 2012) needs to have the block replaced. Check engine light came on and it was shaking on idle, so took it in and that was the diagnosis. $2000 for the black and $1500 for labour -- dealer said they would try to get the block "goodwilled" by Hyundai Canada so that I just have to pay labour. Anyone else go through this? Any advice. I am more than appalled at the diagnosis but after doing some reading, apparently this isn't all that uncommon.

Thanks to all.
What were the symptoms prior to the replacement? Any audible noise?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The check engine light came on and the car was shaking at idle. I took it into the dealership and they initially said that it was a burnt out ignition coil in cylinder 4. After replacing the ignition coil, they said there was still a problem and they needed to run a compression test. Following the compression test, they said it needed a new block. Given it will be some time until they can determine if it can be repaired under warranty, I picked the car up. Interestingly, on the drive home, the check engine light is out and the car is no longer shaking at idle. I do notice a ticking sound now coming from the engine. I am going to take it to a local independent mechanic that is lauded by everyone for his honesty and get a second opinion...something doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Thanks to all.
Is the car still under warranty? I have a 2014 and they told me the same thing, but I'm waiting to hear back from Hyundai Canada on coverage. All oil change receipts supplied so fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the car still under warranty? I have a 2014 and they told me the same thing, but I'm waiting to hear back from Hyundai Canada on coverage. All oil change receipts supplied so fingers are crossed.
Not under warranty -- car is about 7 months beyond the 5-year warranty (although under on mileage by about 60,000 km). The service rep said he would try to get the part (short block) under warranty but that I would still have to pay for labour. Still waiting to hear back from head office.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not under warranty -- car is about 7 months beyond the 5-year warranty (although under on mileage by about 60,000 km). The service rep said he would try to get the part (short block) under warranty but that I would still have to pay for labour. Still waiting to hear back from head office.
Geez. Which dealership? I think your year falls under the TSB. Have you mentioned it to the dealership? Mine is still under warranty but isn't listed on the TSB so I'm unsure of how to fight it if it does come to that.

I'm wondering if there's any info on later years and if there will be another TSB issued. It's the same engine but with "improvements".

·
Registered
251 Posts
Boy that sucks , my sympathies . On the other hand see just what that goodwilled block will end up costing you. Don’t make a decision right then and there either. Go home and grind on it a bit . See also what it might do for you on an outright trade in. You might be able to catch a Honda or Toyota they got in on a trade. I’d personally dive on either one over a Theta engined Hyundai just on reliability alone. Work whatever makes the most sense for you . If you do get a new mill what about a loaner until they get it done. They might toss you a lot beater and it’ll do the job for you.
It sucks but any way you toss it at this point it’s going to cost you. The secret we’ll be minimizing it and moving on without too much pain.
The chief worry with any of these Theta engined critters is what worries me, will it happen again. There’s no saying that the infamous #2 crank bearing failure common to the sonatas as well as Elantras I’m seeing is fixed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geez. Which dealership? I think your year falls under the TSB. Have you mentioned it to the dealership? Mine is still under warranty but isn't listed on the TSB so I'm unsure of how to fight it if it does come to that.

I'm wondering if there's any info on later years and if there will be another TSB issued. It's the same engine but with "improvements".
I have not mentioned the TSB to the dealership. What does the TSB state and what should the dealership have done given they had knowledge of the TSB? I did take the car in for normal service just prior to the warranty being up. Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts

Thanks to all.
wow...I'm freaked out. I have the same engine on my 2013 GT. and almost same mileage as you. the symptoms you mention ..the shaking....is something that I know would happen if a fuel injector went bad...but I don't know if this car has fuel injectors. Were you aware of a ticking noise before this happened? apparently there is a campaign Hyundai has regarding this issue and with the low mileage you have my expectation would be that they would cover the labor and materials to fix this. If not...I would never buy another Hyundai and would never recommend one either. I am seriously thinking of trading in my car while it is still in immaculate condition as this feels like a sword hanging over my head.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine is a 2011 (w/ 31km) and falls under the TSB. I have still to hear anything from my dealer concerning the warranty claim approval, still anxiously waiting. It's been now more than a week that I've been to the deal and they said the short block needs replacing (but still ok to drive apparently)....car sounds like a jack-hammer when started from a cold start. Noise diminishes a bit after motor comes to temperature but never goes away, apparent only while hitting the accelerator & on idle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have not mentioned the TSB to the dealership. What does the TSB state and what should the dealership have done given they had knowledge of the TSB? I did take the car in for normal service just prior to the warranty being up. Thanks!
It was posted in another thread, 1.8 nu engine something or other. There's also a cleaner version in another thread. I can't remember. Essentially states that any customer coming in with an engine knock on start up that may or may not go away after warm up requires a short block replacement provided the customer supplies proof of maintenance (oil change receipts). Pretty sure it was for 2011-2013 models.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine is a 2011 (w/ 31km) and falls under the TSB. I have still to hear anything from my dealer concerning the warranty claim approval, still anxiously waiting. It's been now more than a week that I've been to the deal and they said the short block needs replacing (but still ok to drive apparently)....car sounds like a jack-hammer when started from a cold start. Noise diminishes a bit after motor comes to temperature but never goes away, apparent only while hitting the accelerator & on idle.
Dealer told me the same thing - can still drive it. But I'd be weary of that. I'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word, but if someone tells me something is wrong with the engine and needs to be replaced - I'd think driving it makes it worse. I'm also waiting to hear back from dealer about warranty claim.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer told me the same thing - can still drive it. But I'd be weary of that. I'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word, but if someone tells me something is wrong with the engine and needs to be replaced - I'd think driving it makes it worse. I'm also waiting to hear back from dealer about warranty claim.
I'm only driving mine very short distances right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not a mechanic either, but logically that's kind of the feeling I get too. Let me know if you get an update about the warranty claim.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Given yours is a 2011, will be REALLY interested as to what they come back with...31,000 km should be a no-brainer but at 7 years old, who knows. I just over 5 years (just out of warranty) and concerned. Let's make sure we share experiences when we hear back from the dealers. I can only imagine how many others across the country are dealing with the same thing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well whatever is going on can’t get much worse aside from the rod breaking. Then your engine quits and all you can do is flip it in neutral and coast off to the side of the road. That’s about the worst really unless you get engine failure in fast busy traffic in the middle of the pack. You can mitigate that easy enough and deal with it by knowing what to do if all the idiot lights suddenly come on and avoiding these situations as best you can. Sure the brakes won’t be power anymore and it might steer like a pig but it will get you over to the roadside well enough.
It probably won’t happen anyways so I wouldn’t worry about it overly. While a lot of drivers never think about it this sort of thing can happen to anybody so running through your head what to do from time to time amounts to good training.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Given yours is a 2011, will be REALLY interested as to what they come back with...31,000 km should be a no-brainer but at 7 years old, who knows. I just over 5 years (just out of warranty) and concerned. Let's make sure we share experiences when we hear back from the dealers. I can only imagine how many others across the country are dealing with the same thing.
I've kept up with the oil changes religiously except for the most recent one. Last April, I brought it to the same dealer and they overfilled the engine with oil and, from what I gathered by reading online, it caused a huge plume of white smoke to expel from the exhaust. The smoke eventually receded after a little driving, but I wasn't happy. When I brought it back in, I spoke to the director, and got him to admit his clowns put too much oil and I fought for my money back but got a free oil change instead. He said that overfilling the engine wouldn't have caused the smoke and it was due to some weirdness of the engine's design and does indeed happen on some Elantras, albeit rarely. OK....

When I brought the car in to diagnose the noise about 2 weeks ago, I did the free oil change but was overdue (April 2017 being the last) - but I barely put 2Km since the last oil change anyhow.

The service rep I spoke to didn't even ask for proof of oil changes, she knew exactly what was going on before even diagnosing the car. In fact, while parking the car that day, I had a stranger walk towards my car, and by the time I got out, he's there telling me about his 2013 with the same noise...

In any case, I will probably lose it if the claim doesn't get approved, regardless of the age of the car. Not sure how I'll handle it if it comes to that...The TSB clear states that the motor's defective, had they done a proper general recall back in 2014 to address their flaw, we all wouldn't be here. But no, they opted for the greedy route, and handled it on a case by case basis only if the client complains.

At this point (after the fuel economy class action), I'm at my wits end with them, and most major corps to be honest... If it's not Hyundai it's some other company. I've been fooled by company after company misrepresenting their products either by providing false or misleading information or dealing with products with built-in planned obsolescence that eventually make there way in some third world landfill. It's absurb with what we all put up with - where's the accountability?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've kept up with the oil changes religiously except for the most recent one. Last April, I brought it to the same dealer and they overfilled the engine with oil and, from what I gathered by reading online, it caused a huge plume of white smoke to expel from the exhaust. The smoke eventually receded after a little driving, but I wasn't happy. When I brought it back in, I spoke to the director, and got him to admit his clowns put too much oil and I fought for my money back but got a free oil change instead. He said that overfilling the engine wouldn't have caused the smoke and it was due to some weirdness of the engine's design and does indeed happen on some Elantras, albeit rarely. OK....

When I brought the car in to diagnose the noise about 2 weeks ago, I did the free oil change but was overdue (April 2017 being the last) - but I barely put 2Km since the last oil change anyhow.

The service rep I spoke to didn't even ask for proof of oil changes, she knew exactly what was going on before even diagnosing the car. In fact, while parking the car that day, I had a stranger walk towards my car, and by the time I got out, he's there telling me about his 2013 with the same noise...

In any case, I will probably lose it if the claim doesn't get approved, regardless of the age of the car. Not sure how I'll handle it if it comes to that...The TSB clear states that the motor's defective, had they done a proper general recall back in 2014 to address their flaw, we all wouldn't be here. But no, they opted for the greedy route, and handled it on a case by case basis only if the client complains.

At this point (after the fuel economy class action), I'm at my wits end with them, and most major corps to be honest... If it's not Hyundai it's some other company. I've been fooled by company after company misrepresenting their products either by providing false or misleading information or dealing with products with built-in planned obsolescence that eventually make there way in some third world landfill. It's absurb with what we all put up with - where's the accountability?
I'm not in the same boat warranty wise, I still have 1.5 years and about 30,000 km left but what's the responsibility of the company to see that their cars are maintained after that if there's a known defect? I can only assume that there will be another TSB or hopefully a recall for affected E's 2014-2016 in the near future and they should be fixed regardless of warranty or not.

1 - 20 of 325 Posts