Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Unless I missed it, nowhere in that MSN story does it mention her speed, topography of her commute, etc. ...only that she has a two and a half hour commute. If she has a 2.5 hour commute logic tells me that she probably isn't going 100 kph or less. If she's going 120 kph plus and significant portions of the commute are uphill then I can see her getting the mileage that she's getting. The Cruze is a relatively heavy car for a 138 hp engine whether it's mildly turbocharged or not. "Real world" combined mileage I've seen for the Sonic is around 30 MPG with that same engine and a lighter car. It's definitely 'buyer beware' but the article leaves some of the the important details out.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing is sure, people are complaining more and more about the MPG advertised. Like you mentioned, because we all drive differently in specific conditions, such thing as MPG or L/100 Km should not exist.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think "real world" mpg sites like fuelly.com are a better indicator than the U.S. EPA fuel mileage testing for that very reason. I have no doubt that if Canada adopts the same type of testing as the U.S. they'll find the same type of discrepancies that exist here...whether that's better than the current testing methods or not isn't clear. The EPA is telling me that an Elantra will get better mileage on the highway than an Accent and the auto transmission Accent will get the same mileage as the manual? Uhh...I don't think so. Based on posts I read here and elsewhere, that's not the case independent of driving style,conditions, etc. There's an inherent difference for the majority of people that the EPA testing doesn't acknowledge.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I think "real world" mpg sites like fuelly.com are a better indicator than the U.S. EPA fuel mileage testing for that very reason. I have no doubt that if Canada adopts the same type of testing as the U.S. they'll find the same type of discrepancies that exist here...whether that's better than the current testing methods or not isn't clear. The EPA is telling me that an Elantra will get better mileage on the highway than an Accent and the auto transmission Accent will get the same mileage as the manual? Uhh...I don't think so. Based on posts I read here and elsewhere, that's not the case independent of driving style,conditions, etc. There's an inherent difference for the majority of people that the EPA testing doesn't acknowledge.
Yes I agree totally. Even factors like ethanol in winter gas can have a large
efficiency impact.
Cruz is a better handling car than the élantra, my buddy has one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts