Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to see what kind of debate this topic brings on.

My truck is approaching 3400kms. I wanted to short change the oil and filter and convert it over to synthetic. I looked at the owners manual, and it has two maintenance schedules, "Normal" and "Severe". I figured going with synthetic and average driving I could go with the "Normal" schedule, changing the oil every 6 months or 12,000kms. Reasonable Right? That's what I though, until I called Hyundai Canada directly.

When I posed the same question with them the answer I was given was: " Actually, we consider just living in Canada, to be a severe application due to the extreme high and low temperatures, as well as the fact that we use salt and sand on our roads. So we recommend the "severe" usage maintenance schedule." To which my response was, "With your current definition of "severe" duty, there is really nowhere in the world that the normal interval would apply." (read the manual, you'll understand).

I continued that I will be using a full synthetic motor oil and my wife drives rarely, and only long distances when she does, to which they insisted the 6month/6000kms interval exists weather regular or synthetic oil is used.

I told her that we may have to agree to disagree, but if I choose to follow the regular maintenance schedule, would my warranty be void? to which she replied, "We strongly recommend you follow the severe schedule Mr.*****"

So, reading between the lines, if we in Canada decided to follow the normal schedule, it would be an obvious out for Hyundai in regards to warranty should anything happen to the engine.

I don't agree with this, but reluctantly will follow their recommendations.

Any opinions? When do you change your oil?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
do what the owner's manual says. we do not fit under the severe duty category year round.

synthetic will also be better in the winter if you want to pay the extra money for it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We are getting ripped off big time 6K using synthetic what a joke! In England and Europe 4 cylinder turbo goes 20K on synthetic? My BMW goes 24K on synthetic mobil1 ,my ford truck and focus(kids) go 8K on regular oil with a spin on filter? They always use the line -extreme weather? Maybe this is why they say their warranty is the best-covering their butts ? Plus did you know all your electronics ,nav etc are only guaranteed for 3 years? Plus beware of all the extra cost at 12k,from what I have read from the CDN on the other forumThis probably will be my first and last Hyundai-nice SUV but nickel dime! Plus the remote control deal and navigation Never did get a reply!!!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
In warranty I followed the Natzi rules, after that I push it a bit farther when I run synthetic.

You need to consider your type of driving; hi way versus city mix; where you are driving ? Constant mountain driving or the praire's where you can watch your dog run away....for three days.

Even towing heavy loads can be a factor.

The oil life monitor on my pickup will go to 0 percent after 6 months,even with next to no miles. So twice per year seems to be the minimum the manufacturers want. Oil is cheap maintenance really.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The 6 months is not the issue for me. I always expect to change it twice a year; in spring and fall. That being said, I will do more than 6k in 6 months. Sythetic oil and a quality filter will far surpass the 6k recommended (mandated) OCI. Although I'm more than confident a 12k/6month OCI will not be a problem, I know from my days at a dealer, (GM) that if you don't abide by their intervals, you'll be SOL if you have a failure with the engine, even if the oil was not an issue. They have you over a barrel. Problem is I have warranty until 8yrs/160,000kms. I'll be their puppet until then.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are getting ripped off big time 6K using synthetic what a joke! In England and Europe 4 cylinder turbo goes 20K on synthetic? My BMW goes 24K on synthetic mobil1 ,my ford truck and focus(kids) go 8K on regular oil with a spin on filter? They always use the line -extreme weather? Maybe this is why they say their warranty is the best-covering their butts ? Plus did you know all your electronics ,nav etc are only guaranteed for 3 years? Plus beware of all the extra cost at 12k,from what I have read from the CDN on the other forumThis probably will be my first and last Hyundai-nice SUV but nickel dime! Plus the remote control deal and navigation Never did get a reply!!!
Your electronics are extended if you buy the extended warranty.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the car?

Every car I've ever owned I've changed the oil around the 5-6k (KM) mark, I have never seen the reason to use synthetic. So if you need to change the oil every 6k to protect your warranty why bother with synthetic?

What do you mean by "beware of all the extra cost at 12k"?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Listen I agree with you whole heartedly, and I will do the 6k oil changes they are so adamant on, I'll even do synthetic because that is my thing, I would never do anything to jeopardize the warranty. I'm just saying they're a little out dated with their OCI requirements.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I doubt you will find a car company that offer warranty packages up to 160,000k that do not stipulate more frequent OCI like Hyundai does.

Sure you can buy car "X" and be protected under warranty with 20k OCI. But I bet that warranty caps at 60-100k. What does the manufacturer care what damage their ridiculous OCI does as long as the car lasts through the warranty period.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I doubt you will find a car company that offer warranty packages up to 160,000k that do not stipulate more frequent OCI like Hyundai does.

Sure you can buy car "X" and be protected under warranty with 20k OCI. But I bet that warranty caps at 60-100k. What does the manufacturer care what damage their ridiculous OCI does as long as the car lasts through the warranty period.
You make a very good point.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Oh boy....there is a similar thread in the SFS forum, that goes on and on and on. There are many divergent views on this topic.

I changed mine at 6k and they used semi-syth. I don't put alot of kms on my vehicles and only keep for 4 yrs, so I change twice a year, which follows recommended schedule. This is $120-$130 per year. Warranty requires it, so discussion on interval is moot as far as I am concerned. I do think the charge for the oil change is steep, but as I have stated in other thread, getting the work done at the dealer builds good will for when you need them to go that extra mile on your behalf.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh boy....there is a similar thread in the SFS forum, that goes on and on and on. There are many divergent views on this topic.

I changed mine at 6k and they used semi-syth. I don't put alot of kms on my vehicles and only keep for 4 yrs, so I change twice a year, which follows recommended schedule. This is $120-$130 per year. Warranty requires it, so discussion on interval is moot as far as I am concerned. I do think the charge for the oil change is steep, but as I have stated in other thread, getting the work done at the dealer builds good will for when you need them to go that extra mile on your behalf.
Is semi synthetic standard for these cars?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts