Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

First, I was going to post this here Canadians -- Engine Block Replacement Advice but the thread looks almost dead.

My car, Elantra 2014 (6 years and 200,000k) has started making a knocking or ticking sound since last year and it has become louder. From what I gathered, It seems that this is a quiet serious problem. Alsot quiet common problem with many Elantras. The problem is caused by rod knocking, piston slap, or faulty engine block. The solution is replacing pistons, engine block, or a whole engine.

Also based on the information, some people who's warranty is expired already have their engine blocks or engines replaced for free as recall. It doesn't seem to have happened to only few people and I don't think they are lying about it. Maybe I'm pressing my luck with the condition of my car since some other people without the warranty also didn't get the free replacements.

Anyway, I'm going to the dealership soon and I want to be prepared-Should I contact Hyundai Canada first before going to the dealership? First, do I have to go the dealership that I bought this car? Or I can go any HYUNDAI dealerships? Second, what and how should I talk to them to begin with? Should I just start with, "Hey, I came here because my car's engine is having a knocking sound and I think this is a part of recall." Third, will they do the test first and will the test be charged? Again, some people say, It was free from the beginning, but some people say, they had to pay for the test, but the rest was free. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
301 Posts
In the US the lawsuit was settled and they would replace the engine. I don't think anything has been done in Canada. My friend ended up selling his Elantra for cheap since Hyundai wouldn't replace the engine without paying like 6k.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyway, I'm going to the dealership soon and I want to be prepared-Should I contact Hyundai Canada first before going to the dealership? First, do I have to go the dealership that I bought this car? Or I can go any HYUNDAI dealerships?
You should be able to bring the car to any dealership but I would suggest that you bring it to the place you bought it and/or the place you have had the car serviced. They can be a very good ally to back up your service record and be your liaison in dealing with Hyundai Canada. We were treated very well by Burlington Hyundai (bought and service the car there so they had all records of our twice yearly visits for service) and Hyundai Canada.

Second, what and how should I talk to them to begin with? Should I just start with, "Hey, I came here because my car's engine is having a knocking sound and I think this is a part of recall."
First of all, there is no recall for this issue (as far as I know), so don't say that. There was a TSB about the issue put out by Hyundai and a lawsuit in the US was recently settled so they know about the issue.

I don't believe you need to be nervous or aggressive about asking for what you are entitled to. I would suggest to them that you are aware of the issue, the car is displaying symptoms and ask them to look into it for you. Sometimes the ticking is just ticking. Apparently it is very common with this car.

I put together a package with copies of receipts for all necessary oil changes/maintenance, a copy of the TSB dealing with the issue and I printed off a few pages of examples of people who have had their engines replaced. I also included a couple of articles about the class-action brought against Hyundai about the issue. I would add the recent court case settlement although I must caution that it is for the US, not Canada, so far.

Third, will they do the test first and will the test be charged? Again, some people say, It was free from the beginning, but some people say, they had to pay for the test, but the rest was free. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
The "test" you're talking about I can only assume is the dealership taking things apart and taking a bunch of photos of the insides of your engine. I didn't pay for that as I'm sure it is part of determining whether there is a warranty case. i would definitely bring that up and ask if it is part of the "warranty". I don't recall paying anything like that.

Good luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
Everyone explains ticking etc different. I have had problems with ticking but not knocking. My ticking was fixed by adding an additive to the oil like wynns to get rid of a sticky valve. You could try that first.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm finding my vehicle ('15 Elantra SE) ticking noise more prevalent the colder it gets (this vehicle apparently does not like the cold after spending 4 years in the South.. not that I blame it. Unfortunately most of my trips are < 10 miles the vehicle barely warms up, & it's cold > 6 months out of the year). I started to allow the vehicle to warm to where I see a rise on the temperature at least, which involves a 5-10 minute warmup (in many cases longer than my trips). Though my Gas mileage on my last tank has now dropped to a dismal 20 MPG of combined City/Highway driving. I've really never had a vehicle that would have been temperamental to requires such warmups all the time (aside of when they needed a tuneup).

How are you folks in Canada dealing with this? I went to a Full synthetic QS 0w20 now for a bit faster warmups. I've also read going to the Hyundai Filter can eliminate this with better oil flow (??).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts