Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a Sonata and want to make sure it is a 2011.5. I know I can tell from the sound of the horn (theoretically) but is there a way to tell before actually visiting the dealership, like with the VIN?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was at the dealer last weekend and the new ECO button was my way to know.
m2c hope it helps :whistling:eek:te]

What do you mean? I thought all 2011's have the eco buttom. I just got one last week. So the horn is different? Is that the only thing different?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
early models only have the eco light, switched on/off by the trip computer. no one really knows what it does besides glowing green.

newer models have an actual button over by the traction control on/off button. it supposedly changes things in the car and how it operates in the 'eco' mode.

so, look for the actual button!

·
Registered
36 Posts
QUOTE (fear24 @ Oct 28 2010, 12:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366987
early models only have the eco light, switched on/off by the trip computer. no one really knows what it does besides glowing green.

newer models have an actual button over by the traction control on/off button. it supposedly changes things in the car and how it operates in the 'eco' mode.

so, look for the actual button!
Not sure about the ECO changing things in the car as far as how it operates.

Can't you just look in the jamb and check the plate?

·
Registered
314 Posts
This is the new ECO button.

[attachment=20964:2011_hyu...4102_717.jpg]

"The Active Eco button modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy. The side effect is less abrupt throttle response in stop-and-go traffic"_InsideLine.com - from The Turbo Review.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Can someone with a 2011.5 model post their VIN and what their date of manufacture is? I would be willing to bet that we could reasonably predict what sequence number in the VINs are 2011.5 models if we can find someone who got one of the first 2011.5 cars.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My SE was produced 8/26/10, and I do not have the button.
I'm prety sure I have the new, louder horn however.
It seems a lot louder than the GLS I bought 3/15/10. I just traded it for my SE.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My Sonata was built 9/27/10 and no eco button, I was told that the SE trim only had the active eco setting in the trip computer menu. Also I'm not sure if I have the upgraded horn or not I haven't honked it yet lol. I thought I read that any car built after 7/2/10 was considered late model or 2011.5

Maybe I'm missing something but with a build date of 9/27/10 I would think that would fall under the '11.5 I'm curious now tho can anyone fill me in on how I can tell what my car falls under?

·
1,914 Posts
The 2011.5 Sonata's started production in the beginning of September. If you have the active eco button, you have the horn and your car is a 2011.5.

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE (SExy__Sonata @ Oct 28 2010, 03:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367029
My Sonata was built 9/27/10 and no eco button, I was told that the SE trim only had the active eco setting in the trip computer menu.
I have the SE and I have the active eco button, not just in the trip computer menu. Mine was built before your car (9/7/10) so I'm confused as to how you can have a later build date, same model, and not have the active eco button......

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not honestly sure but I'm read on here how to look through the grill and see if you have the one horn or two and it will tell you if you have the new version, well I only have the single horn mounted behind the grill and I honked it and wow it really does sound like a **** moped lol since I rarely use the horn I'm not to worried about changing it.

I'm curious as to why I don't have the button but you do it really makes no sense... I assume that I have a 2011 then since I have the old horn and no eco button, maybe there were certain vehicles that had older assembly line stock installed.

I have to take my car into the dealer for a really odd clicking noise so maybe ill ask them some things, they are a new hyundai dealer so they probably won't know...

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (Drexx3 @ Oct 28 2010, 12:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366968
I am looking at a Sonata and want to make sure it is a 2011.5. I know I can tell from the sound of the horn (theoretically) but is there a way to tell before actually visiting the dealership, like with the VIN?
On september 1st, Hyundai made a series of changes to their sonata production. The VIN number where the transition occured is around 150000 to 160000. If your car's last VIN digits are > 160000 u have the newer model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Vin ends with 158xxx. I just have to thank you all for this forum or I would'nt have known what to look for in a 2011.5. I peeked into a lot of windows at the dealership. I was just hoping for the new horn, so the eco button was a nice suprise. We'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Ok....at the dealership today waiting on my steering recall, oil change and alignment for the left pulling issue (which did fix the pull), i wandered the lot and showroom. I was peeking behind the grills of all the cars on the lot. Of course, many salesmen were asking what i was doing. i just said, 'looking'. Here is what i came up with:

The old wimpy horn is the 'disc' style.
The new horn is one with an actual horn pointed downward.

eco button on cars, turbo's included & the manly horn begin somwhere between 142758 & 144352 vin numbers

settled :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts