Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, anyone know if you can you put an OEM Elantra Limited touch screen head unit into an Elantra GLS?
As far as I know they use the same connectors but wondering if it is plug and play?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe the connectors are the same, but the limited radio with navigation has wires for a reverse camera and a GPS antenna that the gls won't have.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Also the nav system has an external amplifier that I believe the non-nav radios are missing. I could be wrong, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry not trying to High Jack your post. I'm looking for some answers to the same question and maybe we can help each other out. I work for Hyundai in Montgomery Alabama where we build the Elantra and the Sonata. I just purchased a 2013 Elantra limited at a very good price due to my employee discount. I got a limited model without nav. I then picked up a nav unit on Ebay new for just over $300 shipped. The wires to the best of my knowledge are the same. I plugged the nav unit up and once the key is turned on the unit powers up but goes straight to the backup camera. Even with the car off. I have searched and searched for answers to this problem but not luck. I have a little car audio knowhow and basics with this stuff. Im pretty sure its either missing a 12 signal telling the unit the cars not in reverse or maybe getting a signal that it's in reverse. Either way it wont let you do anything while in reverse mode. I would think it should be a very simple fix. Any help on knowing what wire is what would be awesome. Btw the Nav unit is 96560 3X150RA5 Thanx in advance.

·
22,793 Posts
:00000732: BamaGuy! Great to see a Montgomery factory associate join the forum. For the record, I'm on my second Elantra. Both Limited's, a 2011 & a 2013. And both manufactured at your facility. And both have been terrific! :thumbsup:

One of our fellow members may have an answer for you dilemma, given some time to respond.

I'm surprised, with your factory connections, that you don't have a source nearby that can help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The plugs may look the same but not all the pins have the same functions.

Plugs diag for non nav:

And the plugs from the nav unit:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Ah. So even though it looks plug and play, it won't work with a non-nav wiring harness due to the differences between the two.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I looked into it a while ago and it's not even worth considering due to the hardware differences. The best option is still an aftermarket unit like UNavi or Compass Nav. More up front expensive but way less hassle and cheaper once you factor in an aftermarket amp/GPS antennae/wire....

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd definitely go with farnorth & just replace with aftermarket unit that way you just need to add a couple unit's extra for navigation, and steering wheel control. The only way you could ever replace it with the factory navigation unit is to take the wire diagram and do a huge rewire job to get them where they need to be, then nav antenna etc. it's just way too risky since you might get it all done only to still have problems, adding the aftermarket deck is simply a better route. (imo) :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Getting back to the initial thread topic ...

The navigation system doesn't seem to work, unless you also swap out the harness and get the GPS antenna and external amp.

OTOH, I think the non-NAV Limited touchscreen radio is (2014 Limited, 2014 SE Preferred), is probably plug-n-play in the 2014 Base SE.

Plus the back up camera.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A couple questions....

To retro fit the Touchscreen Nav/rear camera/CD unit on the 2013 Limited to the 2013 GLS, once you have the head unit assembly you'd need the following additional items:

(a) GPS antenna harness, (b) rear camera harness, and (c) ext. amp.

Is there anything else required to make this work?

Would there be a need to change out the shark fin as well? I mean, is the GPS antenna connected to the Satellite antenna in the shark fin unit?

Thanks for your thoughts on the above questions....

·
Registered
439 Posts
from my personal experience, korean aftermarket units are way better, they are plug-in-play, nothing to rewire etc....I love mine, but compassnavi is a little bit complicated for me, I wasn't able to install it....Even I saw some chinese brands for $200-300 and read good reviews about them from E owners.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
what about putting a Nav unit in the Sport model? would that not work either?
I don't know for sure, but I'm going to ASSuME the Sport likely uses the same connectors as the base SE/Limited so - it would work, but not easily.

Essentially - you have about 4 options here:

• Chinese/Korean GPS (AliExpress, Alibaba, E-bay) - around $250-$300 - definitely the easiest and least expensive. Usually plug and play, maps are usually gray-market Navitel - which helps on map updates. Quality varies - I've read reviews where they only lasted a few months and reviews where they worked fine for years. One drawback is you generally can't get satellite radio with them other than streaming BT from a smart phone or using a PNP receiver like the Onyx or Stratus.
  • Brand Name aftermarket - Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood - generally your highest quality and best expandability - minimum around $750. Often use Garmin maps. Would need a dash kit and a wiring harness adapter. Map updates can be expensive.
  • Unavi or CompassNav - generally around $800 - uses the factory radio with a new screen and interface and adds navigation. Not sure about map upgrades - most owners seem to like it, but I don't know much beyond that.
  • If you found a deal on a Limited Tech Navigation radio and amplifer and the other goodies from a wrecked car, it should be possible to re-wire the dash harness and make it work. I think Metra makes a reverse harness for the car - or you could get the pig tail off the wrecked car and use a Metra standard harness and you wouldn't have to cut the factory wires - but you have to understand what you are doing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts