Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall was thinking of having a detailer clean the engine, anyone do this, is it safe on these cars, thanx. Also can armor all cleaning wipes be used to wipe plastic on inside engine. Thanx guys

·
Registered
810 Posts
Absolutely, and you need nothing special. Leave the engine running, and remove any cone/exposed air filters/SRIs and spray the engine with degreaser and hose it down. If you use a pressure washer at a coin-op, use a wide spraying beam and spray from a bit of a distance. Don't completely soak the electrical parts either (like, try to drown them...). The reason for leaving the car running while you use this is to avoid having the cleaner stick to the belts and making them squeal later on. Seen it happen many a time. I do this about twice a year with no problems.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I wouldn't. I've seen to many cases on the forum where people wash their engine with water, then they post here and want to know what is wrong. Too many electrical parts and connections, not like the old days.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Yeah, but I highly suspect that those people drown their engine, forget to remove their SRI, or used a pressure washer and stood half a foot away from their engine while they washed it. The method I described is how my shop's detailers clean every single customer's engine bay and we haven't had a single person ever come back complaining of electrical problems where the cause was deemed by washing the engine bay. The cause is always either unrelated to the repair, or something the bodyman forgot to do when he re-assembled the car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Becareful about washing your engine in a public carwash(ie:at the local gas station)
There are by-laws here in my area of Canada that prohibits the washing of engines
due to the oil/grease that gets washed down the drains...

·
Administrator
2021 Elantra Limited
3,854 Posts
I've gently washed areas such as the radiator (when the shop spilled coolant all over the place) but haven't really needed to spray the rest of the engine.  I'm quite nervous about getting the connections on wiring harnesses wet, even if it doesn't seem that you've caused any problems getting them wet I would be concerned about corrosion issues in the long term.  

I just take a wet cloth and wipe everything down to get the bulk of the mess off.  Follow it up with some detail spray.  Been doing that since new and it keeps it looking good with minimal effort.  I think I've sprayed something on my brake booster vacuum line that didn't agree with it though, the hose turned brown.  So, I guess I should add be careful what you spray on rubber components. :innocent:

·
Registered
215 Posts
simple grab the hose open the oil cap put hose inand pump water through to clean all the internals very good i do it all the time lol

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 17 2010, 07:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333715
I wouldn't. I've seen to many cases on the forum where people wash their engine with water, then they post here and want to know what is wrong. Too many electrical parts and connections, not like the old days.
All the conections inside the engine bay are water tight unless you spray them directly and very close. I woudn't use a pressure washer though, just pinch the end of you water hose with your thumb.

QUOTE (fonque @ Jun 17 2010, 10:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333744
very easy, this is a big thread about this on a bimmer forum, I tried the process. Its very easy and works VERY VERY well.
this is the only way I clean my engine bay now. Also the more often you do it, the easier it is.

its a really old thread, but the pictures speak for themselves.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=7086
WD40? Really? Doesn't it attract dust like crazy?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (mdsniper7 @ Jun 17 2010, 01:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333802
should i do it myself or have a detailer do it, what u guys think? Also what to cover and with what.
Warm up the engine and turn it off. Cover the obvious connectors and the alternator. Aluminum foil work good. A plastic bag wrapped around the alternator and filter element (if you have a cold air intake) works too.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Oh and whatever engine cleaner you buy, MAKE SURE IT'S SAFE FOR PAINT!!!!!!!!! Some degreasers can eat paint so read the instructions and warnings on the can.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Because 25 years ago, their standards for using chemicals were like non-existent. I'd hate to be the one to recommend you to use degreaser and then have some 30 year old stuff that would eat through steel compared to the stuff we have now ruin something it normally wouldn't :)

Honestly, it'd probably be okay, but for the 2 dollars you can pick up a spray bottle at your nearest Walmart I'd say go all high roller n' be safe :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do it yourself.

- Cover up electronic with aluminium paper.
- Remove shortram and cover the air intake with aluminium paper.
- Do not use pressure hose.
- Spray some degreaser.
- Rince.
- Use armor-all to get that black/wet effect.
- Drink beer.
- Get chicks with your clean engine bay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (PaCHeKo! @ Jun 17 2010, 10:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333945
Do it yourself.

- Cover up electronic with aluminium paper.
- Remove shortram and cover the air intake with aluminium paper.
- Do not use pressure hose.
- Spray some degreaser.
- Rince.
- Use armor-all to get that black/wet effect.
- Drink beer.
- Get chicks with your clean engine bay.

the only problem with this is how to get a bag around the alternator its near the bottom also if the engine is warm ouch, another problem is where the **** is the intake, there is so much plastic stuff. Another problem is alumin foil around what anyone got a diagram? and can that armor all go on everything. Thanx for the help. Dont want to mess up on a newer ride.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Haha, you people are all making this way too complicated. First, covering the alternator's not necessary. The key is, as I said earlier is to NOT DROWN YOUR ENGINE. Spray with the degreaser and then rinse it. Second, a pressure washer is just fine if you use a wide spray beam and stand away from your engine bay so you're almost half misting your engine than anything else. And don't worry about covering your intake/air filter if you don't have a cone filter - it's covered pretty well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts