Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do I have to remove the steering wheel to replace them - which I am hoping not to do. Mine is much worse then the picture below, theres black patches and the paint has peeling off quite a bit. Same color as the pic below though.

Heres a picture of what i'm referring to, found in another thread which no one replied to my question

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The trim bezels CAN be removed and replaced without removing the steering wheel. However, removing the steering wheel and following the procedure in the TSB is the "better" way to do this. But if you have the new parts, know where the holding clips are located, and you have the proper tools-- you can do the replacement and never remove the steering wheel. Keep in mind just because you CAN doesn't mean you should . . .

See a previous post (#34) on this topic.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/yf-2011-sonata-i45/159171-chipping-steering-trims-coating-4.html

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The trim pieces are about $9.50/ea.-- dealer labor is probably $75 to $100+ per hour depending where you get service. (This really is a DIY task.)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Could anyone share how the bezel is inserted without removing the steering wheel?
They just snap into place-- with the NEW one in your hand, it will be obvious. The "trick" is not inserting the new ones; it's getting the old ones out. If you have the new ones, you can see where the clips are and use the trim tools to remove the old parts. If it is not clear to you, then take off the steering wheel like the TSB states . . . or have your Hyundai dealer do the job.

. . . you just need the right tools and know what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepNitreel
I went to the Hyundai dealership today and purchased the right & left insert. I used plastic trim & panel removing tools from harbor freight. Looked at the new one to find where the tabs where located then out they came without removing the steering wheel or airbags. Popped in the new pieces and used the trim to lift the control buttons so bottom of trim would clear the buttons. Total time 15 minutes

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you are under 5 years 60k miles they will replace them for free.
Really? If I end up holding onto my car, I'll go get them replaced for that matter! Mine were good until I chipped a spot trying to put on my steering wheel grip.
If you have the gray interior, may I suggest repainting them with gray Plasti-Dip? I used it for a trim piece in my Volvo, and it looks to match the Sonata's gray interior a little better than my V70's. It's fairly durable, and it has a smooth finish if you do it properly. Plus, it's about a dollar cheaper than every other color.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
I just took the trim off a Gen Coupe R-spec steering wheel. All of Hyundais steering wheels have the trim attached with several screws.

You have to take the air bag out. And then there are 10 silver colored crews. There are fpur on the back, the rest are internal under the air bag.

The air bag is held in place by two #30 torx screws one on each side. They are held in place by a retainer so just loosen all the way. Be sure to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes before unplugging the air bag.

But looking at the original picture the Gen Coupe is one piece trim. I would be though the trim is still held in place with screws.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just took the trim off a Gen Coupe R-spec steering wheel. All of Hyundais steering wheels have the trim attached with several screws.

You have to take the air bag out. And then there are 10 silver colored crews. There are fpur on the back, the rest are internal under the air bag.

The air bag is held in place by two #30 torx screws one on each side. They are held in place by a retainer so just loosen all the way. Be sure to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes before unplugging the air bag.

But looking at the original picture the Gen Coupe is one piece trim. I would be though the trim is still held in place with screws.
I'm trying to figure out why users are saying the trim can be removed without removal of the steering wheel. If the trim is attached with a screw how can you just pry it out? someone claims to have done it in another thread and I believe them but no one mentions the screw

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why users are saying the trim can be removed without removal of the steering wheel. If the trim is attached with a screw how can you just pry it out? someone claims to have done it in another thread and I believe them but no one mentions the screw
Well, the Genesis and Sonata have different steering wheels, too.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Mine had 4 screws on the back. Two on each side and two on the bottom. The two on the sides also screwed into the switch housing on each side.

From this picture it looks like there are at least two screws maybe three that hold that piece on. BTW they call it an ornament. $15 discounted for new.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Take the wheel off. I can share pics of the trim, however, you'll have to pull the wheel off to do it right. By the way, it's easy. Just make sure the wheels/steering wheel are straight prior to disassembly and you will be fine.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
This is on my Gen Coupe but pulling the wheel is the same.

I got the DTM steering wheel from SphereMotors.com. Shipping was quick and communication OK.

Install was not hard, a bit tedious as to figuring it all out and scrounging up tools.

Here's the tools needed.

Phillips screwdriver
Flat blade screwdriver
small pick or small flat screwdriver
T40 torx bit and driver
22mm socket or wrench
steering wheel puller

First make sure the wheel is centered then disconnect the negative battery cable and wait 5 minutes.

Using the T40 torx bit fully loosen the two bolts on each side of the back of the wheel. These are on the sides, not the back. They are captive bolts and will not come completely out but do need to be fully loosened.

When that is done wiggle the air bag out, pushing up and out. Once out then unplug the black wire harness from the clock spring. The two orange wires need to be unplugged from the air bag.

There are two yellow clips that retain the two orange wires in the air bag. They are also color coded red and black connectors. With the small flat blade screw driver first pry sightly up from behind, then a bit in the front until the yellow retainer is fully up. Then pull the retainer completely out followed by the plug from the air bag.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Report this image

Report this image

Set the air bag aside.

Now you can see the 22mm nut that holds the wheel on. It is not on tight, I used a deep socket but a wrench will work if you can get one in there. Once that is out time for the steering wheel puller. These can be rented out from the local parts stores usually. They are not expensive if you want to buy one. You will need two 8mm-1.25 x 55mm bolts for the puller.

Thread the two bolts into the provided holes on the wheel and center the puller bolt. The two 8mm bolts do not need to be tight but seated. I used my fingers to thread them in and my hand to operate the center puller bolt to pop it off the splined shaft. It was not on tight.

Report this image

Then pull it off. On the the back there are 4 silver screws remove with the phillips screwdriver. Pull off the back and you will see more silver screws. Remove all of them, you can leave the 4 screws that hold the lower switches on if you wan to unplug the wire harness completely.

Report this image

Once these are all off the plastic parts wiggle off. There was a bit of glue that held it on with mine but it just pulls straight out. Put the plastic on the DTM wheel securing with the screws. Be sure the wire harness is in the correct plugs and is routed correctly. Be sure it is looped under the hooks and pressed into the wheel where needed. Flip it over and attach the back with 4 screws.

Locate the clock spring so the connector is straight up, push the wheel on so it is straight. Connect the clock spring connector for the air bag. Connect the two air bag terminals; red to red, black to black and fully seat the yellow retaining clips.

The align the air bag into the wheel. Tighten the two T40 torx bolts and reconnect the battery.

Enjoy

Report this image

OEM wheel is on the left

Report this image

Report this image

The OEM wheel is a bit rectangular in thickness where you grab it ~30mm x 35mm, the DTM wheel is round and ~40mm thick. Total circumference is ~115mm for the DTM vs ~100mm for the OEM.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
YF DAB is not held on with TORX headed screws.. YF wheel trim replacement requires removal of steering wheel.. then back panel is removed via couple screw, then 1 screw each side the spins into backside of each switch that attaced to bezel,, then trim bezel with switch can be removed from front..

GOOGLE up 12-BD-003 for proper instructions for the YF Sonata

Dont need puller for steering wheel removal.. loosen nut, thump steering wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock the vibe the wheel loose from the splines, lift wheel off steering shaft..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts