Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Sonata Limited. Just over 30K, 99.99% stock.

Have any of you tech-widgets done any aftermarket on one/all of these 3 items:

1- My daughter has an Equinox (company car, so NO choice). I LOVE the side mirrors with blind spot sections built in. Are there any aftermarket HEATED mirrors available for YF/i45 that would be "plug compatible. Or, in lieu of that, small stick-ons that would go in outer corners. (I have always used wedge stick-ons, but they seem to impede way more view than I had hoped on the Sonata!)

2- I would like to replace map lights (at least passenger one) with something more focused (think airline AC!). Any swap-outs available?

3- A bad back requires me to position my bod in the driver's seat using elbows on both console & driver's door rests. The door arm-rest can now be heard cracking. How hard is it to replace just that part? Online only shows replacing ENTIRE door panel!

Appreciate any and all help!

equinox

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
On #1: I have some adjustable "fish-eye" blind spot mirrors that are perfect for our mirrors. About the size of a half dollar and about 3/4 inch tall, with the mirror part of the whole thing adjustable about 20degrees all directions. Got them at WalMart many moons ago so they may or may not still be sold. Otherwise, you are looking at replacing the whole mirror with a KDM one, then buying the convex(cave?) glass replacement to put in there. Don't attempt to cheap out and get the glass first---the mirrors are different shapes and it will not fit!

On #2: You can try a directed LED bulb (usually 3 or so LEDs focusing downward) as a cheap fix. The best is ordering the KDM LED overhead console. I have both the cosnole and dome light and they direct the light downward towards each of the seats vs scatter it like the halogen ones. Very nice and the lights are bright.

On #3: Not an expert on this as I have never popped my door panels. However, I would think that the arm rest is a separate piece of the door. It may help to look at the HMA service manual for an exploded view. Also, try one of the many dealers'/oem vendors' online catalogs. They will break down the assembly into part numbers that you can search out online. Dont buy from them though, as most are vastly overpriced and their shipping is expensive ($15 for an air filter, for example)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Even if the armrest is separate; it screws into the plastic door piece. If you are using it to position your whole body in the car even if you get a new handle you are tearing up the mounting point which is what you will need to replace.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Regarding door armrest and center console top.

If you or someone else will pull the door panel it can be determined what the problem is with the armrest. The armrest is sold by the dealer as a (special order part) and requires the model, trim color and etc. The VIN number would be needed to order in most cases. The price will be in the $90 to $95 dollar range. The center console lid can be ordered also but will be more expensive. I did check the price and its about $170. You might try a trim shop and see if they could reinforce the armrest mount in the door panel and reinforce the center console lid. I don't know if it can be done but it would be worth a shot.

I would suggest a savage yard for replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your quick replies.

re: 1- Adogg9626, were these the ones; I found them online at WalMart?:
I will have to see if they are in-store also!

re: 2- The intensity is not the issue with the courtesy lights. My wife likes to read (real books), even when I'm on a drive from NJ to FL. I currently use a piece of oaktag to wrap the fixture to prevent glare.

re: 3- the "crack" is just under the pleather. The mounting is still intact!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bobb4484, If it was as simple as unscrewing the armrest, and screwing on another...I would have been to the junk yard right after it happened. Checked online, and it appeared that the WHOLE door panel would have to be pulled to make this minor change!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts