Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2017 Elantra Value is having intermittent issues with blind spot detection. Sometimes the error light comes up on the dash, sometimes it works fine.

My wife had backed into a post and cracked the rear bumper cover corner, which is apparently in the area where the sensor lives. The car is under warranty, but the dealer is saying the problem is caused by the damaged bumper.

I'm having a hard time believing the small impact which caused the crack would be enough to damage the sensor.

Is there any way to diagnose these?

Is there a source of quality replacement sensors other than the dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Our 2017 Elantra Value is having intermittent issues with blind spot detection. Sometimes the error light comes up on the dash, sometimes it works fine.

My wife had backed into a post and cracked the rear bumper cover corner, which is apparently in the area where the sensor lives. The car is under warranty, but the dealer is saying the problem is caused by the damaged bumper.

I'm having a hard time believing the small impact which caused the crack would be enough to damage the sensor.

Is there any way to diagnose these?

Is there a source of quality replacement sensors other than the dealer?

Thanks.

1 - Pic of rear of car to reflect position of crack relative to bumper cover and corner of car

2 - Beleive it.. had 1 that wrote up as WARRANTY,, been passed around shop... Dumb & Dumber twins just took and each did calibrate,, come 3rd time and yours' truely get stuck with it,, pulled bump cover to inspect, and sure enough, a piece of plastic hits floor (ear on BSD module body),, I look at inside of bump cover, nice scrape from impact,,, looked at outside, finally find a small crack on the cover... went ahead and warranty module,, 3rd repair,, nobody look at car when it enter service aisle, or after,, customer told it warranty (no charge),, then find it damaged and supposed to be customer pay,, customer will say you told me no charge, and I aint paying diag either.. cant win,, sign in line with note on job line that customer diag if indeed founf to be customer fault,, no fault, no charge and carry on with warranty repair (techs dont get paid hourly)

3 - When I took Drivers Ed,, our Blind Spot Detection consisted of 2 eyes, 3 mirrors,, and neck muscles to rotate head and use eyes to look into blind spot... giving away my age maybe

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Even if you could replace the bumper Sensor/s it would still need to be reprogrammed in order to work properly. Trust me, I know this from experience. The dealer will hook up this device with a long cord to reach the back of the car and will check the system out to see if it functions properly.

I had an incident which I haven’t discussed on the form in regards to the BSD system. Dealership said it would have cost several hundreds of dollars just to reprogram the system. I was fortunate with it being covered under the circumstances.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
From the shop manual:

"1. BSD system defects can be quickly diagnosed with the GDS. GDS operates actuator quickly to monitor, input/output value and self
diagnosis.
2. Connect the cable of GDS to the data link connector in driver side crash pad lower panel, turn the power on GDS.
3. Select the vehicle model and then BSD system.
4. Select "Input/output monitoring", if you want to check current data of BSD system.
5. If you want to check each module operation forcefully, select "Actuation test"."

Removal
1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
2. Remove the rear bumper.
(Refer to Body - "Rear Bumper")
3. Remove the BSD unit (A) after loosening the mounting nuts.

Difficult to tell from the photo, but appears to be in the rear corners of the rear bumper.

Allstate and Liberty Mutual have thousands of commercials claiming both have accident forgiveness. I am carrying $250.00 deductible on my vehicles, this is what I would expect to pay.

Whether the sensor is damaged or not, good question, does have a connector, that could be unplugged.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Removal
1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal. -- I never have
2. Remove the rear bumper.
(Refer to Body - "Rear Bumper")
3. Remove the BSD unit (A) after loosening the mounting nuts. -- there is a left and right BSD module..

Difficult to tell from the photo, but appears to be in the rear corners of the rear bumper.
BSD module is bolted to rear corner of body,, left side and right side

Allstate and Liberty Mutual have thousands of commercials claiming both have accident forgiveness. I am carrying $250.00 deductible on my vehicles, this is what I would expect to pay.

Whether the sensor is damaged or not, good question, does have a connector, that could be unplugged.
Likely wont be unplugged,,,, when you apply power to car via ign key or push button.. watch each outside mirror for warning illumination... power to drive the LED in the mirror comes form respective BSD module

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
there is a left and right BSD module..

BSD module is bolted to rear corner of body,, left side and right side

Likely wont be unplugged,,,, when you apply power to car via ign key or push button.. watch each outside mirror for warning illumination... power to drive the LED in the mirror comes form respective BSD module
Good read. Yeah, there’s a left and right BSD sensor. Adding to your comments, there’s an interior access panel (square shaped) on the interior side of the trunk after pulling back the carpet liner.

Now that won’t get access to removing the BSD sensors, but I believe that’s the point of area to discount the harness to each BSD sensor. The bumper still needs to be removed which can be a PITA in order to remove the sensors. The taillights need to be removed to do so in order to remove the bumper.

I haven’t polked around with the shop manual since last year. At this point the car is too familiar after disassembling it/ exploring it this far.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
We had our vehicles hit by somebody when legally parked without leaving a note. and no closed circuit TV. Our collision insurance covered all the repair, including broken tail lamps, another headlights, bumpers, was even hit in the side smashing in the passenger door.

Would think comprehensive should cover this, but without solid proof, collision, this is why we have insurance. Would think your sensor would be covered as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts