Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. First I must say so far after 2 weeks I love the Elantra. The only thing so far I would change is the lane change signal that only flashes 3 times. Can this be changed by the dealer to flash 4 times or more. I find I tap the signal and then maybe only get half way into the other lane before the signal shuts off. Is this a setting that the dealer or I could change or is it hard wired and can't be changed?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
This has come up before. I personally think three is enough to "indicate" your impending lane change. I never rode with it on it all the way through the lane change even before this car. Many people do not think 3 is enough. Anyway, nobody came up with an absolute about it being or not being reprogrammable. You always have the option of hitting the stalk twice or just clicking it into place and determining when you want it off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess if it can't be reprogrammed I will just have to use it like all of my other cars. Just hoping it might have been.

·
22,793 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, 3 blinks is all you get and it can not be programmed by the dealer. Personally, I've found it adequate, and the simple tap of the stalk very convenient for my driving style.

Of course, I live in a state where most driver's show reasonable consideration of others on the highway. We use the signal (most of us) as they were intended: to announce our intentions. Having said that, I have resorted to using several taps for multiple blinks on some occasions. And, for the most part, that has been enough judging by the other lane's occupant allowing me to move over.

There are, however, some areas of the country I have resorted to a full-time blink to signal my intentions, and STILL couldn't find an opening.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
When I had Drivers ED, we were taught to turn on the turn signal, inspect for proper clrearance to make lane change safely, make the change and cancel the signal light..

What I see these days is somebody honking along and then make their move with a triple tap of light well after they start their dive into other lane and stab the brake lights to keep from hitting car in front while next cars all down the line have to stab their brakes too

·
22,793 Posts
LOL sometimes using the blinker also has the reverse effect of closing the gap further ^_^
If there was ever an absolute in an equation, that one qualifies! When that occurs I'm thinking to myself, "I wish Ingrid was a M1 Abrams tank, right now." :whistling:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well sounds like I will just keep using the turn it on and make the change. Too bad. I was hoping it could be changed but doesn't sound like it.

·
22,793 Posts
When I had Drivers ED, we were taught to turn on the turn signal, inspect for proper clrearance to make lane change safely, make the change and cancel the signal light..

What I see these days is somebody honking along and then make their move with a triple tap of light well after they start their dive into other lane and stab the brake lights to keep from hitting car in front while next cars all down the line have to stab their brakes too
Taught the same thing in Driver's Ed in the late 60's. And I'm guilty of the 3 blink alert. But not until I have checked the path and made sure it can be done safely. And you are correct in how some motorists perform their lane change. I have been on the receiving end of that maneuver. Not a pleasant experience.

That's one reason I have altered my pattern of following the vehicle in front too closely. The other is to allow me enough reaction time for "brakes gone wild," and/or sudden appearances of potential road debris in my path.

"Defensive Driving!" Accept no substitute!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Well sounds like I will just keep using the turn it on and make the change. Too bad. I was hoping it could be changed but doesn't sound like it.
I think it's like anything else where a 'one size fits all' doesn't work. I use the 3 blink touch anytime I need to change lanes and the lane is obviously open and clear, like when cruising down the (not crowded) Interstate or on other multi-lane highways. I use the actual push til it clicks turn signal when I am having to set up for a lane change when there's a lot of traffic (e.g., city bumper to bumper) and it will take some work to actually move into the desired lane.
It's just a convenience, and one I'm actually really glad that's on this car - I first experienced it on a dealer's loaner Passat and thought it was a really nice touch (my 2000 didn't have it)!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts