Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK -still runs great, but now losing about 2 quarts in 10 minutes of driving ! I am driving on a few errands close to home..with extra water (lol). Thinking a little silicone to slow the leak , mechanic will repair in 2 or 3 days. I never let the temp gauge go more than about halfway- normally runs cool. My thought is plug the weep hole for a few days and use a pressure release radiator cap so pressure stays low.
I am absolutely not a mechanic type - so wonder what the thoughts are here. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK -still runs great, but now losing about 2 quarts in 10 minutes of driving ! I am driving on a few errands close to home..with extra water (lol). Thinking a little silicone to slow the leak , mechanic will repair in 2 or 3 days. I never let the temp gauge go more than about halfway- normally runs cool. My thought is plug the weep hole for a few days and use a pressure release radiator cap so pressure stays low.
I am absolutely not a mechanic type - so wonder what the thoughts are here. Thanks. Fill in weep hole ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have patched a few radiators with JB Weld but I have read that patching a weep hole can blow the seal/gasket and leak water into the oil of the engine ...

·
Registered
537 Posts
With that amount lost , I wonder if there would be any water flowing in the head and if the temp sensor would be accurate with no coolant across it? I'd park it until it's repaired. How long has it been leaky?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only started leaking about 50 miles ago ...have restricted driving now.

First was a little pinhole leak about 1 quart per hour of driving.

Temp Gauge is still accurate- as soon as it gets warm 50 to 60 % ( 9 o'clock to 9:30 ) I put 2 quarts water in....then fine runs cool .But only about 8 minutes.

So just going to try to slow the leaks by 50 % or so, maybe a piece of sponge with silicone in the weephole to slow it down...
I understand if I completely seal it , pump might leak water into oil or throw the belt ...
Just going to slow it down , drive with heat on , use pressure cap radiator for 2 days ...

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The weep hole is there to go first, before the waterpump fails. Park it and fix it right otherwise it might really cost you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts