Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that this vehicle had the option of coming with a 'Trip computer' to display "Distance to Empty", "Average Fuel Consumption", "Average Speed" and "Tripmeter". Is it possible to get one of these installed? If so, anyone know about how much that would cost? It's a feature I miss from the newer car I had previously. It's not going to kill me not to have it, but I'd be willing to spend some $$ to get it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Although it's not built in to the dash, you can consider a Scan Gauge. It plugs into the OBD2 computer port under the dash and can be configured to show 4, 6, or 8 parameters on the screen. It is powered by the diagnostic port and shuts down automatically when you key off.
On mine, I have instant mpg, engine load, battery voltage, throttle position, ignition timing and engine temperature.

They do have fuel consumption available as per trip (where trip = engine on to engine off), per tank (new tank = more than 2 gallons added), or lifetime (average that never resets). Average speed can be lifetime or per trip. Distance to empty is calculated from average mpg and tank size, where you need to configure the gauge with the tank size. On many cars, the gauge can also report tank float position although that doesn't always equate to "gallons remaining" because of the odd shape of most gas tanks.

These gauges, with extras like mounting brackets, are under $100. They can also read trouble codes (basic ones not extended) can clear check engine lights, too.

And before someone else chimes in with the "phone" option, you should know that there are apps that provide this functionality on a smart phone, using a simple OBD2 to Bluetooth adapter plugged into the car and paired to your phone. Then mount your phone in a convenient and visible location and you have your trip computer right there.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts