Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am just travelling around Australia in my My19 Santa Fe Active 2.2 Diesel and towing a 1600kg caravan. I have had a low oil pressure error twice on a 40 Deg Cent day after 200kms and the dealer checked the car over and found no issues. I believe that a 5w-40w oil would help but the dealer will not change it as it will affect the DPF. This oil is in the manual so why the DPF problem? Please advise. Also should I put in a larger transmission cooler but I do not seem to have a problem there.

·
Registered
828 Posts
What's in there now? I'd document everything too. When you say error is there an alarm, error code or oil light? Is there a pressure recorded when this triggers?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's in there now? I'd document everything too. When you say error is there an alarm, error code or oil light? Is there a pressure recorded when this triggers?
The standard 5w/30w Helix. Just an oil light which went disappeared after stopping and switching off. It reappeared after another 1 hours driving. Stopped for 30 mins and re-started and then tow-trucked to dealer 500kms away. When checked they could find no issues or error codes.

·
Registered
828 Posts
SO is the oil light coming on at speed? I've got several Diesels, and I've used 5W30 but it's something I discuss on another forum, just how suited is it really for high ambients. When I look at teh owners Book,you would not use it in summer. I'm in Ipswich and we get 40 deg days. I've never had an oil light come on , but It's not being stressed towing either.

I don't see how the weight of oil has a bearing on the DPF , only the type. I think I'd be writing a letter to Hyundai Australia for clarification . I'm not qualified but I have little faith in dealers

·
Registered
289 Posts
those are great Oil's to use on a Diesel i own a Diesel VW as well equiped with a DPF filter Just be carefull on choosing a Oil with the required oil Spec's set in place from the manufacturer so for example if it calls for (229.51 spec oil) to be used in the engine. then You better find a oil that meets it. once you do though then you can use a thicker 5w40 as long as it meets the manufactures spec your fine wich usually is a Low ash Oil to protect the DPF Filter from pluging up that's it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As it's in the chart above, I'd use 15-40 Shell Rotella, either conventional or synthetic oil.
Thats what I said to the dealer who refused as it would not could damage the DPF. I will talk to the dealer in Albany where we are today - they open at 8:00am.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Not exactly confidence inspiring is it? Considering how new it is and the investment, I know I'd be freaking out if it's an oil pressure lamp lighting up. I would have thought a different symbol would be used for level though.

A bit too new and out my league but I did have a drive of the 19 Tuscon Highlander 8 spd CRDi the in laws got, after many a landcruiser.

·
Registered
828 Posts
On the previous DM series it looks like the level was amber and high up in the cluster.

Oil Pressure was red , low and centre in the display

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thats what I said to the dealer who refused as it would not could damage the DPF. I will talk to the dealer in Albany where we are today - they open at 8:00am.
the dealer is concerned about what oil spec your using (see the pick below i posted as an example) theres a specific spec oil for diesels like yours that have a DPF filter if you use the wrong spec oil it will plug up the DPF filter so its crucial that you use the correct oil spec oil. wich is a Low Saps Oil Look it up in your owners manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the dealer is concerned about what oil spec your using (see the pick below i posted as an example) theres a specific spec oil for diesels like yours that have a DPF filter if you use the wrong spec oil it will plug up the DPF filter so its crucial that you use the correct oil spec oil. wich is a Low Saps Oil Look it up in your owners manual.

Totally agree and as the spec allows that grade for hotter conditions why use the DPF as an excuse not to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been trying to send a online complaint to Head office - but the input field for name will not accept an entry. That's why they get no complaints Customercare error
customer care error.JPG

Thats as far as I got.as it will not accept anything.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Totally agree and as the spec allows that grade for hotter conditions why use the DPF as an excuse not to.
So... your saying you have looked at using the correct spec oil for the 5w40 oil that you want to use.? because of the hot climate you live in and since the vehicle is under load conditions by pulling a trailer i can understand that perfectly well wich could be why the 5w30 your using is thinning out so much it could be causing your low oil pressure i have heard this happening before.

then in that case with the heat and towing conditions the vehicle is under honestly i see no reason not to switch to a 5w40 in fact.! you should switch dealer is b.s.ing you 5w40 oil will be slightly harder on fuel economy by .5 maybe 1 mpg less fuel econo that's it. but you will get better protection under the extreme heat conditions your experiencing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So... your saying you have looked at using the correct spec oil for the 5w40 oil that you want to use.? because of the hot climate you live in and since the vehicle is under load conditions by pulling a trailer i can understand that perfectly well wich could be why the 5w30 your using is thinning out so much it could be causing your low oil pressure i have heard this happening before.

then in that case with the heat and towing conditions the vehicle is under honestly i see no reason not to switch to a 5w40 in fact.! you should switch dealer is b.s.ing you 5w40 oil will be slightly harder on fuel economy by .5 maybe 1 mpg less fuel econo that's it. but you will get better protection under the extreme heat conditions your experiencing.

I have been to the Albany Hyundai dealership today. So after a short discussion, the staff said the other dealership is wrong and and they will be advising this failure to comply to the manual specs to Head Office.
I am booked in for 2 PM for a change of oil to 5/40 and new filter. Such a efficient counter staff and Workshop foreman. They
They advised me that they have found all SA cars that they service after the trip over have 5/40 as normal. However they only bulk supply 5/30 and buy in 5/40 as required.

I thanks all of you for your support and am looking forward now to the 4000 km trip home to NSW over the next 3 weeks. It will be interesting to see how the mileage goes as it has been very good to date. Last 9644 kms was 10.92 l/100 kms according to the my spreadsheet and 10.62 according to the Car menu system. This is about 90 % towing with the Swift Caravan 584 at 1650 kg total weight plus 2 persons in the car and 60 kg boot loaded. I had budgeted on 13.5 l/100 so feel pretty good at buying the Santa Fe. Driven mainly in sport mode with lane assistance OFF when towing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts