Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was changing my interior lights. I started with the glove light which worked fine. But when I changed the map light, the light won't turn on and then I noticed my whole interior lights do not work (vanity, glove, door etc.). I also noticed that none of the remote key functions works, tire pressure warning sign/trunk open sign stays on, and trunk won't open w/o the keys in. Anything else works fine as it should be such as the A/C, radio, headlight etc. Anyone else experienced these issues and know how to fix? :mad:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
either light is in backwards (i'm assuming you are changing over to LED's) or you blew the main body fuse. many posts here regarding this exact issue.

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Happened to a lot of people. That's why you're supposed to disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work. At least fuses save people. First check your ROOM LP fuse to see if it's blown. Location is in your owner's manual, should be a 10 amp fuse.

·
Registered
699 Posts
In the fuse box in front of the drivers knee is where you find the Room LP fuse. It located sort of in the center of the fuse panel, front side, and the top part of a special holder that states power connector on it. Pulling the power connector handle up will access the upper room LP fuse and audio fuse. I believe they are hi-lighted in yellow. It is a 10 amp mini fuse. There should be a spare 10 in the panel that you can use.

Bob

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I changed all my lights except the vanity lights cause I cant figure out how to get them **** light in the holder. There is no back to it and I already dropped one of my lights in the headliner. smh Can someone who changed their vanity lights give me some insight on how to get the light to stay in?
thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
I don't understand the part about no back in the fixture? You remove the vanity light fixture from the headliner and replace the bulb. That's if I remember correctly. Then put the vanity light fixture back into the headliner. I'm referring to the vanity lights over the sun visors? The only problem I experienced was getting led's that fit the fixture.

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea one of the fuses was blown up and the dealership fixed it free of charge. So do you guys think it is safe to reinstall the same led light if I disconnect the battery before the procedure? How do I disconnect the battery? Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I suggest you read the owners manual and learn something about the Sonata before doing mods such as led's. Just a suggestion and it would help you in the future.

Bob

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I agree with Bobb - but if you are still gonna do it, disconect the negative side of the battery.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I changed all my lights except the vanity lights cause I cant figure out how to get them **** light in the holder. There is no back to it and I already dropped one of my lights in the headliner. smh Can someone who changed their vanity lights give me some insight on how to get the light to stay in?
thanks
If I am recalling correctly, the vanity lights are 28 mm bulbs while the map lights are 32 mm bulbs.

To change the bulbs in my vanity lights, I removed the light assembly from the headliner and unplugged it from the electrical connector. Then swapped the bulb and re-install.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If I am recalling correctly, the vanity lights are 28 mm bulbs while the map lights are 32 mm bulbs.

To change the bulbs in my vanity lights, I removed the light assembly from the headliner and unplugged it from the electrical connector. Then swapped the bulb and re-install.
I think I am going to give that a try and I think you are right cause the 32 mm I have for my map lights were HARD as **** to try to put in. How did you pop the whole housing out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The question was : how to install a bulb safely. Dusconnecting battery will not save you from a short circuit caused by a defective bulb. If you installing an LED bulb the bulb should have polarity and be connectied + to +. Figure out where are "+" terminals on your bulbs and on your light sockets by using multimiter and a test socket. Battery should be disconnected when replacing or modifying components more complex than a light bulb.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think I am going to give that a try and I think you are right cause the 32 mm I have for my map lights were HARD as **** to try to put in. How did you pop the whole housing out?
A trim tool (or plastic putty knife) under the edge of the housing, then pop it out. You have to start on one side and work your way around. After you get it started, one side will start to hang because of the electrical connector (I can't remember which side). When that happens, just pop the other side out all the way and the housing will come out of the headliner.

Installation is reverse - start on the side with the electrical connector, then rotate and push the housing into position.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"How do I disconnect the battery? Thank you in advance for your help."

I would suggest you learn something about cars before you start screwing around with them. I hope this was a joke!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts